The 'I still love my Octatrack' thread

Haha, cursed MAX :wink:

I never really had that problem people speak about. Limitations vs options. Iā€™m happy with either. Mostly the latter thoā€¦ Iā€™m definitely in favour of fewer limitations :wink: I way prefer to be able to follow stream of consciousness impulses/workflow without hitting walls and dealing with vibe killer workarounds or re-routing cables etc to bring in external gearā€¦ Rather have function depth instantly available, even things I rarely use, than have to compromise ideas/impulses/Lose time every now and againā€¦ Itā€™s clearly one of those dividing ā€˜YMMVā€™ things thoā€¦

1 Like

people need reassurance haha

The OT will continue to provide me with new possibilites for a long timeā€¦
It is reliable and has so many features.
I have it since Nov 2015 and would say that I use 40 to 50 % of its features.
From the point of today I guess it will be my centerpiece for another 12 or 18 monthsā€¦
There will be other synths and samplers and gadgets to accompany the OT and that is more than ok :slight_smile:
Until today it is my best buy. I would not know what could replace itā€¦
I am into sound design, drones, soundscapes, ambient, do some midi sequencing and syncing hard- and software with the OT.

2 Likes

I get it now, DT is for all the folks who think the OT is ā€œcomplicatedā€

Got them both :stuck_out_tongue: (Live+OT)

Nah i wouldnā€™t say thatā€¦Live is a different beast!

1 Like

Seems that wayā€¦ Kind of feels like the box another company would make if they were trying to steal some Elektron sales/ideas. Very ā€˜safe/previousā€™ by Elektron standardsā€¦ Keen to hear news on the next big box. Hopefully all concerns will get squashed then, otherwise might have to start referring to post-AR Elektron as Neutron :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m not disparaging it, really (oh god how Iā€™d love itā€™s, what, 999 midi steps or whatever). I was just referring to all the problems people are having.

Interesting idea :wink:

I was always confused by the notion some people express that something like a year is too long to learn a (somewhat complex) piece of gear. Whatā€™s the typical learning curve to be decent at violin? We insist on calling these boxes ā€œinstrumentsā€ (which they are), yet some think that they should be mastering them in a few months. Itā€™s sounding like some cognitive dissonance is afoot :smiley:

3 Likes
1 Like

The ONLY reason I sold my 1st OT was because I needed cash. Got my 2nd OT about a month ago and Iā€™m never parting with it. The OT combined with my AR and a Volca Bass is all I need to have fun with my turntable and guitars. Iā€™ve also decided to keep my hardware setup and my computer setup separated. I get way more music done this way.

3 Likes

I also use them separate most of the time. Two great worlds

1 Like

For me not so many problems and a few of them that exist doesnā€™t kill the flowā€¦Does anyone remember when OT was released back then?Buggy all the wayā€¦

2 Likes

In a way, yeah, I can relate to that.

The OT has a special place in my heart and one day Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll return to it (imagine the overkill joy youā€™d have with DT/Live through OTā€¦ haha) but I never enjoyed sampling with it and found using it at times quite similar to the joyless experience of prpgramming a Yammy FS1R from the front panel. Not here to bash the OT though.

But, in the DT Ive found something a little more immediate. And, as someone heavily ITB, Iā€™m actually finding it a hell of a lot of fun. Once my arm heals up better I have grand plans using both DT and Live with VSTs - something I never enjoyed with the OT. In short, DT has a flow that is more agreeable to me.

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t there for it but, yes, heard of it. Good point.

Anyway they are all great units and something for anyoneā€™s taste.

yes but if you understand every process that the machine can make but it takes a year to learn how to use it that is a whole different thing

I still love my Ot anyway, but much more crazyness is coming with TRCā€¦

Could you elaborate? Iā€™m not sure what you are saying here.

This is my OT. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my OT is useless. Without my OT, I am useless.

1 Like

Not loving your Octatrack is off topicā€¦ :wink:
:purple_heart::elot:

4 Likes