The 'I still love my Octatrack' thread

OT is hands down the best piece of music gear I have ever owned. It will never leave the studio.

2 Likes

For some reason what other people do with their gear has zero emotional impact on me.
ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ
I do :heart_decoration: my :elot: tho

1 Like

I can see DT as an extension to OT. Dedicated tracks in DT could free up tracks in OT for let say resampling.

3 Likes

Octatrack is the shizzlenazzā€¦
Itā€™s not going anywhere, I donā€™t care what else comes out because it does what I like alreadyā€¦
Magical mystery box audio benderā€¦ Thereā€™s a long way to go with this boxā€¦ I bought the ticket, Iā€™m takin the rideā€¦

10 Likes

You know it :point_right: :ok_hand: :elot:

If the Octatrack were president, it would be called Babe-raham Lincoln.

• awkward Wayneā€™s World quote recontextualisation.

keen to reinvest in the OT one day ā€¦ totally going to perform the third-party gold faceplate upgrade option.

3 Likes

Incredible how many OT related threads came out recently because of DT release :slight_smile:

Is anyone using OT alongside DT?
Iā€™d like to see what creative stuff comes from that partnership

2 Likes

I bet a lot of people have been waiting to see DT in action before making a decision on one or the other.

I have had mine for over six years and I still love it. It has been the centerpiece of my setup since I got it, and though Iā€™m always open to finding something better, for my purposes there isnā€™t anything at the moment.

I have looked at the Digitakt to replace my Analog Rytm, since I primarily use the AR for samples and donā€™t care much about the analog stuff, but the Octatrack is in another league so I could only see the DT as a potential sidekick for the OT.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Sampling practice

Im keeping mine. Its probably the one box that will never leave. Itā€™s replaced my SP-404 and a few other samplers because its just got that other worldly vibe to it. The sample and bit reduction and a little compressor tweaking on the main out ch8 will get that lofi Flying Lotus pump, and then add in the crossfader with effects and effects switching on the fly while moving the fader is just not replicated in any hardware Iā€™ve seen. Cheers to the OT.

5 Likes

I love my OT, itā€™s the centrepiece of my liveset - way more stable and faster to set up than a laptop based system. I am pretty up to date with all things hardware, and every other box has some pitfalls in comparisonā€¦ (from my perspective)

In the studio, it serves as a recorder, mangler, step sequencer, monosynth, drone, and drum sampler - whatever I feel like. For a technical minded person like me itā€™s a creative chameleon, and itā€™s amazing how much diffferent stuff can be achieved with this one box.

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure if the OT hadnā€™t existed and just came out right now exactly how it is, itā€™d have a ton more folks interested in itā€¦ Itā€™s just not shinny and new but that doesnā€™t matter because itā€™s already been doing the next level stuff for yearsā€¦

4 Likes

Especially if they dropped it with digitakt, including the updated hardware. Minds would be blown

Been using my OT a lot past few days. A few things kept me away for a while (been mixing finished projects etc).

Baffles me how people complain about the workflow being slow/complicated re Sampling etc. Itā€™s all 1 or 2 button operations. I donā€™t get the complaints in that area at all.

Been having a lot of fun re-finding things like slots mode, designer LFO, midi arpeggio, tempo division per track, insert fx p-locking, pickup machines, slicing + chromatic etc and finding new stuff like midi loopback scene p-locks/automaton.

IMHO people are kind of crazy to be so hyped on digitakt to the point of talking about replacing their OT with one. So much missing from DT in comparisonā€¦ From what Iā€™ve seen DT is simple/fast workflow just because it doesnā€™t really do much? If you use OT at its most basic then itā€™s just as fast. Faster for some things. Conditional trigs are nice on the DT but thatā€™s a potential reason to ADD a DT to your setup, not switch out OT for itā€¦ Makes you wonder why people bought OT in the first place if theyā€™re so fast selling to switch to DT. Thereā€™s very little crossover, they must have barely been using most of the OT functionsā€¦

8 Likes

My interpretation of the abandoning the OT ship is that maybe some bought it as it was the ā€˜flagshipā€™ sampler and it just happened to have more bells and whistles and many prefer the more stripped down DT. The simpler sampler with the Elektron workflow just wasnā€™t available until now. Or perhaps they realized the bells and whistles werenā€™t adding to their artistic practice.

Personally, I still love the OT and donā€™t have any interest in the DT, but those probabilistic controls do have some appeal. Not enough to buy another tool that would distract though. I could build a MAX patch for probabilistic stuff if I decide I ā€˜needā€™ it. However, if an OT2 with that came out, Iā€™d probably cave. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, youā€™re right. I guess there was no real Elektron alternative back then so OT was the only choice and might have had a bunch of overkill features for some users. Thatā€™s fair enough reason to abandon it now thereā€™s a cheaper alternative sampler. Hard to understand how those overkill OT features wouldnā€™t be of benefit within almost every single genre/style/workflow tho. Theyā€™re pretty incredible when added up, even years after releaseā€¦

1 Like

In my experience, and many others given how often it comes up, limitations are often better than limitless possibilities. Working within constraints breeds creativityā€¦

All that jazzā€¦

As Iā€™ve dipped into MAX again over the past 6 months, I have been less productive than when it was ā€˜justā€™ modular+OT, so Iā€™m grappling with that as well. However, Iā€™m waiting to pass judgment as Iā€™m distracted by being a teacher at the end of the school year, dealing with buying and now moving into a house, planning a 3 week trip out west that I leave for this week, and having a mom with sudden serious health issues. So, Iā€™m trying not to blame MAX for being less productive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes