The Guitar Thread

Same here!

1 Like

The anime is K-On! which was recently added to Netflix. A great rock comedy that reminds me of The Monkees in some ways. It’s mostly about the antics of these high school kids who start a band, but there’s also a memorable appearance by their faculty advisor’s speed metal band.

The Les Paul player is Yui, and if you listen closely, you can hear her humming the melody to the song.

Here are the chords I worked out from her solo practice session:

BbMaj7 FMaj (brief switch to Fsus4)
BbMaj7 C11
FMaj FMaj Gmin Amin FMaj (root on 5th string, 8th fret)
CMaj AMaj Asus4 AMaj
Dmin CMaj BbMaj CMaj
BbMaj C/B
AMaj DMaj
BbMaj CMaj
FMaj CMaj Dbdim Dmin F/Eb Gmin Amin BbMaj CMaj

1 Like

Here’s a pro guitarist giving a lesson on how to play “Go Go Maniac”, the 2nd opening theme to K-On! One of the comments claims this teacher actually played on the soundtrack. Her timing is super tight, that’s for sure, when she does the playthrough

2 Likes

Similar. My first guitaring exploits were totally influenced by Sonic Youth and MBV. My only jazzmaster now is the fender AmPro jazzmaster (CAR/RW). Before that was playing Bass for a few years.
Mostly played Bass semiprofessionally in jazz bands, but started out/influenced by the great Peter Hook of NO/JD which led to playing Bass in a dozen post-punk bands. Amp wise, I love Orange, for bass and guitar. Only got the bass ones now; 4 stroke 500, CrushBass 50. Bass guitars always fender Jazz. Had many others, but the beauty of the the Jazz Bass is that you can pretty much make it sound like anything. Just slap on a compressor, high pass filter, you’ve got a P-Bass!
I think that a lot of keys players, like myself as a kid, had A LOT of bottled up energy that couldn’t be expressed on the piano. We needed to shred! We needed a quad box to shake internal organs. :metal:

3 Likes

I had silicon picks for bass playing at one point. All the convenience of a pick without that tinny attack.

2 Likes

Thanks @JamesM

Had never heard of these. Could be perfect for me.

1 Like

Haha yeah man bass ended up being my main instrument…being 14 and ramming my first jazz bass through a few hundred watts of an ash down combo in my first band (a 4 piece hardcore punk band called the flaming burritos) was like flipping off my traditional musical conditioning. I actually started learning drums when I was 10, and being a kid with adhd it turned out that I had some aptitude towards it so I became obsessed with rhythm and picking up a bass just came naturally to me.

Also, some of the first baseline I learned came off unknown pleasures

1 Like

I’m with you on virtuoso playing @jasl

All technical ability has to be in the service of the music. Doing things to show off hand eye coordination is ridiculous.

Van Gogh > Caravaggio

My first record was STILL, so Walked in line” was my first lesson. Then Closer then Unknown Pleasures. Blue Monday was in there with learning Still. It’s genius, Hook has a very basic and odd style, but it just works.

1 Like

I dig it! Will check out more Eastern Youth!

1 Like

This is one of my current earworms. Guest vocalist/guitarist is Hiroshi Takano, whose collaborators have included Todd Rundgren, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and Towa Tei. He’s got some experimental/noise/improv videos with peeps like Arto Lindsay too. I like how the high-tech look of his guitar matches all that electronic gear.

The video is fun from a gear geek perspective too - they list every synth/sampler/groovebox used in the song at the end of the video. They don’t discriminate either - they’ve got Endrophin Shuttle, Arturia 'brute family, and other modern units side by side with vintage pieces:

2 Likes

I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread about using the Digitakt for guitar processing. Here is an example from a track I just finished. The guitar parts are mostly in the first minute. The opening chords, the backward part that comes in at around :30, and the little cluster of notes all came from sampling random bits of me playing guitar. The processed samples in the song are pretty far from the original samples.

7 Likes

I love that sound on the guitar and combined with those drums it reminds me of Flaming Lips. Is it just a resonant filter with a lot of LFO modulation on it?

I found Juan Dhas through the Allan Holdsworth FB group. I bought a couple of his e-books because I like his harmonic approach. This is the piece from his Spread Triads book.

Thank you. I will never turn down a Flaming Lips comparison.

Definitely a resonant filter. I’ll have to back and check about the LFO. It may also be modulation from the pedals I was you when I initially sampled the guitar.

Pretty entertaining chat, with a bit of guitar jam

here’s a pic from my studio. bought almost all the amps cheap and broken and fixed them (or built them - the one in the upper right is a Komet 60 clone). It’s an addiction that has been supplanted by synths, but I still play guitar all the time.

10 Likes

Oh and only recently have I discovered how awesome synths sound through a lot of pedals and a wall of amps. Synergy!

2 Likes

Damn! That like a dream for me, but living in Tokyo there’s no way I could make that happen. Very cool.

PS, I’ve never run a synth through a guitar amp. No danger of damaging the amp?

Conventional wisdom says that sustained bass tones could damage a guitar amp speaker when used at high volume.

That said, I did see a band once, which ran all their synths into a Marshall stack (2 4x12 cabs) for the entire set, and they were quite loud. Also have seen some bands using a Roland JC-120 for synth amplification at gig volumes without issue.

That said, I wouldn’t trust normal amps like a Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC-30, etc. to hold up at those volumes, and the bass output is better from bass amps and full range speakers.