The groovebox market

There is nothing stopping me doing it. I have already developed a proof of concept / working example.

The problem is that the Octatrack is so limited from a Midi point of view; that you would only be able to modify the normal parameters (i.e. not the Setup parameters) of the current Part of the current Bank.

So given the limited amount of control and flexibility, it is hardly worth the development time and effort to bring to market.

And in doing so, I would have to support multiple platforms (OSX and Windows), multiple plug-ins (Standalone, AU and VST) and multiple hosts (Ableton, Cubase, Logic, Reaper etc.)

Given what I know the limitations are of the hardware, what are cats going to want to pay for that Standalone/AU/VST ?

Take those potential sales, then think about the time/effort for all the development, testing and support.

I dare say I’d be lucky to pay my rent with the above exercise.

3 Likes

Cheers Rusty , interesting how commercial reality can really test an idea. Geeks like me would want it hit as you say not going to pay the bills!

Thanks for all you do for the OT community though Rusty , it’s much valued and appreciated

The man who has everything

PeRhAPs

Has nothing

??? what you mean? are you suggesting that I making all this up? that all I say is a lie? that I donot actually even exist?

You know exactly what im saying barry

Because

You are a figment of my trouser leg

I dunno man just take the limited polyphony and run with it

naww man, I’d rather use my MPC as before ie. as a MIDI sequencer and not a groovebox. I bought my MPC because I wanted the sequencer, not a groovebox. But again that is just like my opinion man

Guess my point was that despite everyone gushing over the new MPC update, to me the addition of a few relatively basic synthesis modules will still not make it the best groovebox ever. But then again I’m always tiresome and longwinded like that :nyan:

1 Like

Im way more tiresome because i wouldnt touch the mpc with a fudge pop because it has a touch screen and too much functionality but not enough jazz

3 Likes

fair enough

I’m surprised by all the love for the RM1X. I bought one new because I couldn’t afford a MC-505 (which was around 1100 dollars new IIRC), and I found it incredibly cumbersome for programming vs. something like my older MC-303. Splitting the drums along the first 8 tracks so you could do actual mutes was just kind of mind numbing to me. And that’s not even getting into how it actually sounded. I will concede and say it’s very powerful, sure, great timing, yes, but as an actual product, I feel like it was kind of half baked, even for the time.

I’d actually love for Roland to go back to their MC series, but just make it an all out “performance” sequencer. Diss on Roland as much as you’d like for their LED lights or ACB tech, but they definitely have a way with making very “musical” and easy to use products (which is not a bad thing). Touches like the pattern mutate button (keeps the pitch the same, but changes the octave/slide/accent value) on the TB-3 even is like a little stroke of genius.

I’m sure the market for that would be very small, given that most people would rather just plug everything into a computer, but there’s obviously a market given the existence of Engine/Cirklon/Pyramid and to a lesser extent the Digitakt/Digitone’s 8 tracks or the Beatstep Pro.

1 Like

I’m curious if you ever overdubbed the knob movements on your step sequences. I don’t see many (any?) people doing that in youtube videos today but that was a common practice I used and the results could be great fun. You could end up with cool filter sequences and glitchy delays that way, something we take for granted with plocks. :wink:

Yamaha RS-7000 was pretty dope for it’s time, unfortunately hampered by slow audio editing - things like normalise could take a while on longer samples, and samples took a while to load. But it has a great and well featured sequencer which hasn’t even been surpassed on some fronts by anything since. Things like the midi fx, pattern sections with instant access, mute and scene memories, individual track lengths and meters, pattern list/chain and linear song modes, parameter locks, tons of editing jobs like modify note, velocity etc etc, the list goes on and on.

Also has a fairly large amount of rompler sounds which have some very nice and still useful sounds, which of course can be fairly extensively edited (for a rompler) a fair few dated gimmicky sounds but these are outweighed by the good ones IMHO.

Fairly decent for the time digital filters, plenty of types and modulation from envelope, LFO, velocity etc, decent and useable digital fx with reasonable editing capabilities to adjust to suit.

2 independent midi outs, 16 tracks, 128 local and 128 common samples, upto 64mb internal memory, smart media card slot for saving, but also scsi and extra output expansion option.

I have not used mine for 10 years, but I’d never get rid of it, one day I’ll get it out of storage and rediscover it again. I used only the RS to make this track which ended up getting released on vinyl some years back:

9 Likes

@darenager the RS-7000 was one of those that got away from me. I wanted one for years, didn’t jump on it while they were in the shops and then just never came across one used.

I think the slow sample load/edit times was an issue that plagued the A4000 and A5000 as well, if I recall.

1 Like

It might just be the exuberance of the new update, but the MPC Live is looking like it just took a quantum leap in sound and workflow. People are gushing about it on Reddit and the snippets I have seen on instagram sound very appealing.

1 Like

Yeah, slow sample save/load is the only downside of the Yamaha samplers. Feature rich and great sounding devices.

2 Likes

Still is :wink:

Same here. Agree on basically everything else you say.

Only real complaints for me were the size/weight; sample handling/load times; and the sound engine… so ended using mine as a pure midi sequencer to drive an Akai Z4 (10 Midi Channels, 10 Audio Outputs) and an Access Virus TI (6 Midi Channels, 6 Audio Outputs) into a 16 channel desk.

Also built a full blown editor for it years ago; I’m sure I’ve got the source code lying around somewhere.

Definitely inspiration to me for other stuff and things :wink:

1 Like

One day, maybe, I could write a whole bunch of stuff and things about this topic.

Something along those lines :expressionless:

Reviving this thread to share the new knobs video about grooveboxes :

With the model range and other already existing option, the choice sure is getting wide. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

nice video :+1:
the alm fm modules sound so nice

This person has a bunch of great tracks made with classic grooveboxes:
https://www.youtube.com/@alfabutane/videos

1 Like

Very talented on any groovebox he touches