The groovebox market

And that’s exactly my point, to some extent - where’s the current equivalent?! If they did a similar machine now it would probably be amazing. I guess it’s hard to know what their process is and what the market really wants. They certainly know better than me.

can’t speak for them, but I guess on one hand they don’t want to repeat themselves and on the other hand they sure have many product ideas for the future.

less complexity. Lower price point, but still with the elektron experience
That’s why DT and DN are so popular

8 Likes

I understand, and I take your point. But that’s all relative. There are people here with setups costing upwards of £5 or £10k. I think what I’m trying to get at (in a long-winded way) is that if Elektron can make Digitone or Digitakt for £600 and Analog Four for around £1000, could they make a digital groovebox that can handle some different digital sound engines and a bit of percussion for £1000-1500 - I think probably yes.

boarderliners “tchitchiii man”
:sunglasses:

Yes. A modern-day hardware groovebox, which was a niche market compared to synths and drum machines even in the groovebox heydays of the 1990s, now has to compete not only with Ableton Live (incredible features and install base in the millions), iOS and Android apps (ubiquitous), tiny low-margin devices like Korg Volcas and eurorack modules, but also all the second-hand grooveboxes that are still widely traded.

In that context it’s remarkable that any hardware devices like Elektron AR, DSI Tempest, Synthstrom Deluge are able to come to market at all.

16 Likes

No its okay to disagree. I dont think im being a reductionist. Im just saying that the groovebox phenomenon had plateaued and is now sinking. Yes its remarkable that any product comes to market now. If your thinking they can be improved then thats a different matter.

@sabana It doesn’t look like the manufacturers think it’s sinking. Novation Circuit, new Electribes etc. Whatever we might think about them here (I’m not impressed with either myself) it looks like a lot of those units are being sold. Novation has released regular updates for the Circuit software. Elektron have clearly sold a lot of DT units and also released the DN. Wouldn’t this indicate that there is support for this format? Lots of one-device-only videos on Youtube.

Anyway this is probably at least 50% about my indecision and nerves about spending more money than I’m used to spending! It’s unlikely I will be disappointed with any of these Elektron boxes, and I will buy from a retailer with a good returns policy!

2 Likes

I was a bit like you. I have a raft of Vsts. But needed a hardware box for inspiration to get me going. Something as you put it can be put on and off with a flick of a switch.

Just thought I’d mention there are a few other machines that work as synths and you can use single cycle waves. Also machine selection can be made for each track and controllable by midi…

Rytm’s pretty rockin, if someone wanted to they could definitely make full tracks with it…

3 Likes

Get a MPC1000, upgrade it via MPCStuff.com and install JJOS on it, turn it into a complete polyphonic groovebox/sampler/sequencer powerhouse with immense capabilities

5 Likes

yea the Rytm can sound amazing. master section kicks butt too. sadly for me I just don’t gel with the UI (pads grid n perf / scenes). cest la Vie.

still tho if they made a digi format rytm minus the pads I’d be all over it probably. defo a contender for a single groovebox.

Not to start a war but I’d have a hard time calling DN and DT stand alone with out the ability to at least save pattern chains. Deluge is the closest thing I’ve found so far. As others said above though it’s a jack of all trades and master of none. That being said with the amount of updates, that could change.

1 Like

Just a thought - have you actually demoed a MnM mk II with all the goodies? As in, sounds like you might really want one… :nyan:

2 Likes

Friend of mine wanted to buy first machine,
Off course asked for ‘all in one’ beat and sound machine
RAW sounding, synth and beats to jam on, no computer connected

I looked around and could not find any solutions But A4 Or Dt. Maybe op1 Or opz
Hè went for A4, struggles with it cause no idea about synths, sequencers, fx and elektron

Hè will make it, But it is a big step for HIM to make

2 Likes

I think Gotharman LD3 covers a lot of what your after. In it’s own way;) it had a bit of a learning curve but that’s true with most deep grooveboxes. I think this could be a great fit for you if you want a High end groovebox

1 Like

It’s cool to talking about a Static course of the groovebox market…

I want to apologise. I only skimmed through your original post and did not see you had already disregarded the AR. I did not mean that to come off as slight or anything.

I still think it’s essentially a groovebox and the issue that it can’t generate some hundreds of sounds can be easily remedied by the thousands of (free) single-cycle wave forms available in addition to the ability to resample. I also don’t agree the DVCO is

For an analog machine it’s a quite stunning source of sound.

My .02 only anyway.

Is this the official Deluge thread? :wink:

Are the new tribes limited and with a bit odd interface solutions? - yes

Can you make really good music with them? - yes, you can.

Have the new tribes contributed to anything? - along with most of the budged line from korg, they have introduced a whole new generation to the synth game, providing a market for a lot of other manufacturers to step in and satisfy demand.

1 Like

I will tell you why: The hype for analog. The difference between the AR and the MD? Analog vs Digital. Analog technology simply can’t offer what is needed for a groove box.

And now we have hyped digital stuff that is more limited than old digital stuff as the Digitone. This blows my mind, how people can buy a 4 voices FM synth for 750? (when roland makes the boutiques for half the price which use a much more demanding emulation as far as CPU use), Elektron was making the Monomachine with 6 channels and various synthesis types a decade ago, really blows my mind how we are going backwards.

4 Likes