The groovebox market

Exactly … just as an example …

• offer an all-in-one-box with maybe four major features for $3000. I guess many of us would inhale and say, wow, that’s more than I can afford now.
  • offer four boxes at maybe $799 …

got the maths and the “psychology”?

1 Like

I think manufacturers like to nurture an image of the home musician/producer with a good amount of space and (surprise, surprise) money at their disposal. Share ‘your setup’ rather than your track. Grooveboxes don’t fit that

Grooveboxes ftw

1 Like

Kronos X88

1 Like

I shifted to an ESX-1 for live performances with my band, having previously lugged a bunch of individual keyboards and small synths around as part of a far larger group, sometimes alongside an EMX-1, depending on the set and the project. Sometimes it was used as a glorified drum machine for backing up guitar bass and drums in a band (then my bandmate got a Machinedrum, and so we didn’t need it for that role). I really enjoyeed (and still do) the sheer playability of those particular Electribes, and the valves make them sound so much better too.

But it was looking for something deeper than a Monotribe (sounds great, but very limited) that led me to the Analog 4, and while it’s a very different beast to the EMX-1, it’s broadened my sound palette massively. I still find the EM/SX-1 to be a bit more fun to just bang out something new, motion recording and all. I was definitely looking for something similar with the A4, and while there’s not a lot of comparisons, it’s the hub of my live setup now, usually with a whole lot of semi-modular devices attached.

I’m not sure I’d buy a groovebox now - the Electribe 2s never appealed.

3 Likes

think you are with a bunch of others there (including me). Maybe the lacklustre vibe around those contributed to the general shift away from the format?

1 Like

A good understanding because it means that there is a blockage somewhere

Lovers will not hesitate to buy these olds drugs for a deeper circumvention
The Roland vario then the Rhizom via YAMAHA and KORG !
With each their programming charm this facility to groove on listening !!
I still remember :sunny: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because Grooveboxes were a Fad they are going nowhere. However there is now a yearning for something new. Maybe your too late to the party as its been done to death. Manufacturers really need to be more adventurous. And start thinking more out of the box.

Fad they are going nowhere

Pfffff I do not agree it’s a very reductive way of thinking sorry Sabana

In 1996 Roland on the MC 303 the first GrooOuWBox (or Grrrr box i don’t know)
Look at the device manufacturer’s manuals
Take an interest in the machines shown in the diagram with similar workflows

For example, on the MC303 manual the Roland MS1 was represented…
Make sure the duo is working hard !! !!

That MC303 has a certain lo-fi charm, but why does he need three of them?

[quote] a handful of sound engines (for both percussive and non-percussive sounds), a handful of FX, ENVs and LFOs and 8 or 12 tracks. A bit of wavetable, a bit of subtractive VA, a bit of FM and you’re covering a huge amount of ground.

That thing would be a monster![/quote]

you see ? :wink:

I remember mine… the poor thing used to behave very strange with voice stealing… had bizarre artifacts

Hmmm You saw my poster of groovebox presets on the wall
…Hmm
Pleasure will be on the MC 303 to mix the Hatter Arpeggio and its subtle and dynamic variations with preprogrammed RPS percussions

:hamburger: :palm_tree::poop::owl::frog:

But poor workflow unfortunately less intuitive than a digitakt

Maybe the pleasure will be greater by mixing equipment of different age…But with different charm and audio quality.

For my part I keep all my machines and I am equipped with Elektron for the same musical projects

:wink:

oh how I would love to have the space to keep all the machines I liked… :sob:

I understand, and I take your point. But that’s all relative. There are people here with setups costing upwards of £5 or £10k. I think what I’m trying to get at (in a long-winded way) is that if Elektron can make Digitone or Digitakt for £600 and Analog Four for around £1000, could they make a digital groovebox that can handle some different digital sound engines and a bit of percussion for £1000-1500 - I think probably yes.

Regarding modular - I appreciate that this gives a great deal of power and flexibilty but the price cannot be compared. Analog four = 4 voices of true analog synth plus sequencing and FX for around £1000. To do that with eurorack, or with individual analog monosynth boxes and separate FX for sends and a mixer, would be many times the price.

Surely the success of DT and DN suggests that many people can afford one or 2 boxes at £600 each but most of us can’t afford a massive setup at many thousands of pounds, before you even consider the space needed in your home.

Ha haa !!
Ha haa !!
Ha haa Ha haa !

Come back to a main question
As underline tallrobphilp
Older machines cost less /On the Grrrr box market ! !! ! !

they did actually, it was the monomachine (not sure about the price tag but shouldn’t be too far)

The DN, too.
It’s only 4 tracks though.
But it’s more than only Fm.
Waveshaping options, an additive algoryhtm and a nice multimode filter + fx + awesome percussion

3 Likes

I always thought of the grooveboxes as a midtier hardware solution, with more drum or synth oriented machines being the next step (tempest for drums, analog four for synths and similar). Great topic, definitely got me thinking about the whole concept!

1 Like

yes, th dn is cool… can be fm, can be soustractive too… is great for drums…