The greatest firmware upgrades of all time

The original OP-1 got USB audio after ten years, which is pretty amazing.

7 Likes

Digitakt - songmode and slicing modes
Deluge - community firmware
M8 - fm synth, hyper synth and many more.

7 Likes

Increase of polyphony on the Novation Nova (desktop) from 12 to 16 was one to remember :smiley:

I wished the LXR2 would get a similar treatment.
I think it would benefit from it.

2 Likes

A4 polyphony (this is 10 yo but still an impressive addition)
AR Euclidean sequencer
DT machines (slices :yum:)
OT trig conditions

Last Bam additional reverb engines.
M8 3.0 indeed.
Won’t talk about Push 3.

Next year I might get a Deluge ^^

5 Likes

Took the words out of my mouth. These plus Vailixi for MPC3K!

Crikey that makes me feel old. 10 years since the A4 polyphony?! My word. Agreed though - that was huge.

I’m a little blinkered these days in terms of the world of hardware. Don’t own all that much any longer, no Elektron’s at all right now, but I do think the OS updates across AR, DT and OT have been fantastic.

And there’s quite rightly been a few M8 3.0 call outs. 3.0 is what persuaded me to return to the M8 and got in my head enough to sell the v1 and preorder a v2.

1 Like

You had me check my facts, but yes, Christmas 2013 :slight_smile:
They also unlocked the +Drive in this firmware update.

2 Likes

That means it was around about 10 years ago I bagged my first Electron. At the time I was 100% ITB (mostly cracked software ITB) kind of scoffed about how expensive Elektron’s where though couldn’t shake off how cool they looked. I remember going down a now natural and familiar GAS spiral of researching all Elektrons, signing up on Electron Users, etc, etc around about the time this update appeared.

This made me trawl my inbox and yes - August 2013 when I bagged that OT. Time flies… :older_adult:

Now I miss having an Electron again.

2 Likes

Ableton 2.0 --> Ableton 3.0

1 Like

The release firmware of the Monotribe was pretty special anyway, but they really ramped it up by version 2 … not sure when they dropped that the CV i/o ws baked into a TRRS port but all the goodies for 2.0 made it a total hoot

hmm, just googling and looking up that link it appears there’s a 2.11 release i wasn’t perhaps aware of … need to investigate, instant-fun awaits when you power those up (i have two) :wink:

Nova Desktop 2.0 which added 4 extra voices of polyphony (from 12 to 16), double saw oscillators, more filter types sur as the Rez filter.

Zoom Arq 96 2.0 which added sample playback to the instr. mode, lengthened patterns from 4 to 8 bars and some MIDI USB support.

Typhoon OS on the TX16W which made the sampler somehow usable.

JJOS of course which sold a lot of MPC 1000/ 2500 since it added an unbelievable wealth of functions, even things the MPC Live series still can’t do today, and made AKAI Pro look like a$$…

The MC101 update that added significant patch editing capabilities, although not everything the MC707 can do.

2 Likes

I was going to write that too. I remember being really excited about this update.

2 Likes

I remember fondly (and with regrets because I sold it… WHY?!) the firmware update of the OTO Biscuit, changing into Der Oto, a monosynth !!!

2 Likes

Yes, Blast beats has evolved a lot. Tons of great updates.

Digitone song mode has been another great update.
Zoia has been a great development too.
And the SP 404 mk2 updates, specially 3 and 4

Finally, worst company for update is KORG imho.

1 Like

RME interfaces.

2 Likes

Isn’t that Magnus from Sonic Charge? Not sure about Elektron but definitely with Propellerhead and Teenage Engineering.

3 Likes

Medusa 4.0, added a whole new mode (3-op FM) right as they discontinued it.

…i still remember clearly the day, when dtakt saw it’s latest firmware…
i was truly grumpy, that i sold mine one and a half years before…

and the greatest upgrade of all time was, when the last real mpc’s saw the jjos…

but there’s a good chance, syntakts next one more thing moment will leave us breathtaken…

2 Likes

Not from manufacturer, but the BCR2000 ZAQUENCER impressed me.

3 Likes