The glory of Shruthi's bass

Wowowow, I had no idea!

Good project for a beginner? I can diy the case for sure. Any sources for kits in EU?

Dont know about kit availability. You can either order your own pcbs (eg from a pcb fab in China) or buy them eg pusherman in the uk is cheap and good quality (https://pushermanproductions.com).
Just pick whichever filter you want. All the parts can be bought from mouser - there are BOMs around that you can buy in one go without needing to think about it! (Or generate your own). Honestly - it’s not really worth paying anyone to sort all the parts for you…
I think it’s a really easy build - all through hole. You do need to flash a microprocessor but programmers can be bought for peanuts and it’s not hard.

1 Like

I’ve documented by build on my blog, if you are interested…

it’s on http://batguitars.co.uk
Look in modular->diy modules and scroll down

3 Likes

You even have way more easy and cheap way. Mutable stop to sell full kit but two involved guy take the flag after and are selling full kits for 160e, which is not beatable if you start to produce your own pcb and kit ( you cannot source all parts from only one online seller, and its a real headache…

Tubeohm:
https://www.tubeohm.com/shop-hardware.html#wa-anchor-ja3vmkrk4uva3c
He even have the shruthi xt kit

3 Likes

I’ll have to ask the person who DIY-ed the parts I assembled it with some supervision.

1 Like

I disagree quite strongly - mine was an awful lot cheaper than that ! :slight_smile:

Will have a look around, awesome! Thanks :pray:

Will check it out! Thanks!

Well if you say so…But thats what is assumed even by his creator, and you can always check it on mutable forum… how did yours cost by curiosity?? Maybe you are experienced builder and etched yourself your pcb, and already have part at your disposal,but for a beginner, it will be hard to beat for sure… Even more if you value your time exploring the bom/sourcing… i build more than ten of them, some from kit, some patiently sourced… and it was never a gain to source myself…

1 Like

I have Ambika PCB sets if anyone is interested, 3x full sets available. I’m in AU but can ship anywhere. Comes with one mainboard and 6x SMR4 filter boards, all in white.

Ambika is so good! I love mine. Love it so much I’m thinking of a Shruthi with 4PM filter for bass duties now.

1 Like

The 4pm is soooo versatile and sounds great to boot! You wouldn’t regret it :slight_smile:

I just got back some PCB’s for the filter boards (modified SMR4X’s) which I sent out gerbers for a few weeks ago.

Already have the control board PCB, metal case, and now the filter boards. I even have an OLED display. Just need to order some electronics components and I’ll be ready to build my first Ambika!

2 Likes

They also can built it for you, but for the XT version, they unfortunately don´t have a case any more. That´s why i am still looking for the original XT from mutable instruments.

Seems to add to cart for me here. Are you in North America? https://modularaddict.com/hallik-shruthi-xt-metal-case

I’ve been loving this little box. It’s great for techno sounds. I played my mate a tune the other day and he thought the Shruthi bass line was done on the Moog sub37 caus it was so beefy :smiley:

3 Likes

Just ordered a fresh built Shruthi with the SMR4 filter. Can’t wait to have a companion for my Ambika. Might pick up the 4pm filter for it down the road. Total impulse buy today.

6 Likes

Btw, metal case for Phoenix XT is available, got mine a few months ago.

1 Like

You can email Adrian Halik directly to ask for cases.

1 Like

Sorry - only just seen this reply. Mine cost about £45

Home cut acrylic case, pcbs from jlcpcb (about $3 for five pcbs), some parts from mouser, some from Thonk, some from aliexpress.

I havent etched a pcb in years - it’s totally not worth it now that the Chinese fabs are so cheap and fast.

To be honest, mine was probably even cheaper than that as I had many resistor and capacitors spare in my parts box (I never buy just one or two passives - that’s usually more expensive than buying 10; buying 11 is usally more expensive than buying 100 due to the volume price breaks); pots I’ve bought in bulk previously - usually form Thonk; sometimes elsewhere.

So, yeah, completely disagree that you cant beat 160 euros by sourcing the stuff yourself… (you could have the pcbs for 10 shruthis for about $10 ! If you order the parts for 10 shruthis you hit loads of lovely price breaks - I’m a bit shocked and saddened you think you couldnt have beaten the price of 1600 euros for the parts for ten diy shruthis…)

1 Like