The glory of Shruthi's bass

I just picked up a 4pm XT for a great price. I was a bit sick of standard analog monosynth waveforms, and this is just the ticket so far - an amazing range of really wild and unexpected noises is within reach. Dropping the oscs down low and messing with the different mix algos can produce some very evil broken gameboy sounds. I think this + DT and a couple of pedals will be a really good live setup.

2 Likes

I still have some for sale here.

I thought these would sell quicker to be honest!

I thought I’d chime in as a fellow Shruthi lover… I’m currently on my second and will soon move onto number 3. My first was a Red Alert edition with polivoks filter than Mutable were selling pre-built a good few years back just before they launched into their eurorack adventures. I used it quite a bit but I then a saw a great deal for a 4PM version of a Shruthi XT which I duly snapped up. I then flogged the Red Alert version as by that point I’d gotten one of the Erica Pico Polivoks filters but if I’m honest I’m regretting it as I’m no sure the Pico filter isn’t “inspired” by the polivoks rather than being the real deal. Doesn’t have the same grit and bite… i could be wrong tho.

I’ve recently backed the Shrolca kickstarter as I really like the form factor and it has a different filter types to others I’ve had so couldn’t resist. If I ever work up the enthusiasm to play live again this would pair nicely with the DT and another synth or two for excessive fun times.

1 Like

Yeah, backed the kickstarter as well. super pumped to be getting one of these little fellas!!

1 Like

Hey,

i bought three ready-made of those little shruthis :

• Polivoks Red Alert in the fall of 2016
  • MS-20 + delay Yellow Magic early 2018
  • Dual SVF XT a few months ago

Once they’re on, you forget them being partly digital. Though i’m quite well equipped on the bass department, i reckon one of the shruthis will do that task full-time now. Indeed, its bass capabilities shred.
It sounds like rubber, if this means something.

1 Like

Which is your fav filter?

say Polivoks please, I am just building one.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good question ! Btw I’ve been playing a few hours right now with polivoks vs dual svf not knowing you’d ask me, and it’s hard to tell. The differences in sound seem due to different recorded settings as when you switch them on and play, the dual svf is much weaker and the same patches not identical. I should try a reset maybe ?
I have not played the yellow magic enough to be able to tell either. Any of them sounds huge, polivoks is the most aggressive of course if you raise the resonance, that’s why i wanted it first.
But depending on the settings the differences remain too subtile for me up to now at least.
You won’t regret building your polivoks ^^

1 Like

I had once the standard SMR4 Shruthi, built by myself…Sold it and missed it but the Olivier introduced the XT version. But never Had the Money while in Produktion. Now i have the Money but cant find an XT with that nice silver XT Case anymore.

You might be waiting a long time for one of the original mutable XT cases. There’s a guy on here selling a few XTs with an updated all-metal case, not quite as nice as the original IMO as the screen cutout is larger than necessary, but worth a look. The original eps files for manufacturing the XT faceplate are available online as well if you wanted to try getting one made yourself.

I just posted a Shruthi XT in the classifieds – but it’s the black plastic case, not the nice silver case. Still shreds!

Thats a nice one! But i Look in the Eurozone…

Yes thats why i Had no luck so far. Tube Ohm sells Shruthi, but the XT version only without Case most of the times.

I’m happy to ship to Europe.

The original cases you’ll find are black plexiglass (can be made by Ponoko) but the silver ones you see are actually just faceplates to go over the existing plexiglass. The only way to get your hands on one is to DIY.

The cases I used in the builds I’m selling are by Hallik Engineering, reputable case builder for Mutable and other instruments.

Let me know if you’re interested!

finished my filter… (although stupidly hadn’t connected overdrive or fm in this vid… d’oh)

problem now is I have a spare filter board… and it’s looks like it’s quite cheap to buy a new control board… oh.

Anyone got an estimate on how cheaply I can populate a new control board?

:wink:

due to the fact that you cant order all components from the same source, very often the cheapest way of having the part is to take a kit from tubeohm or laurentide synthworks…

hmm, problem is, I have the filterboard, so I don’t want a whole kit (also have pretty much all the caps and resistors I could want.)

might try Shenzen via ebay and see what it totals up as.

Hey, if you have a filter board and no control board, you might want to look into a Shruthi XT control board : having all the knobs on the panel is a game changer, believe me !
:slight_smile:

1 Like

now we’re talking… wonder if there are files for a laser cut acrylic case about anywhere… (Have access to a laser cutter…)

1 Like

At the bottom of the MI archived page you have the Aluminium panel design (illustrator and Draftsight).
Makes me want to build a new synth !!
:smiley:

1 Like