The elusive perfect drum machine

Those were years ago, no bugs anymore. None I’ve come across anyway. Brilliant machine. Quirky though. You will come to love it for what it is or hate it for what you want it to be.

You know what to do. I actually made a track with mine yesterday, sounds so good run through effects as well.

1 Like

I have a TR-6S rather than a TR-8S.
For full disclosure, it was a b-stock item at half price, so having paid less probably colors my impressions.

As much as I like my Elektron (digi) boxes, it might be my favorite (purely) drum machine so far.
It was really easy to learn, and it’s just so immediate.
It’s loaded with great sounds too -particularly the ACB ones- and those are easily swapped out/managed via kits at any time.
I don’t touch the sample side of things at all really. I think I threw on a few samples of things like the Linn Drum, and that was it.

With the 6S in particular, there can be a lot of menu diving if you really want to get into the weeds with sound design. Less-so on the 8S; but for me, discouraging that is arguably an advantage.
With the Elektron boxes, I often get too caught up on things like sound design, all the options I have with parameter locking etc, or even the 2x8 grid layout they use vs a row of 16 (the row just works better for me).

I don’t find the 6S to be lacking, it’s just a different approach.
It gets me focused on composition, and makes that process really easy.
The portability of the 6S is a major advantage for me as well - though I know it’s not a factor for many.

I don’t think there is such a thing as a “perfect drum machine” and I expect that anyone looking for such a thing is probably going to end up with at least a couple of them that they’re happy with, which do different things.
But I can’t see myself getting rid of this, as it’s great to have when I want those bread and butter Roland drums - and it has the advantage of them being ACB rather than samples. There’s a reason their use is so prolific.
I like it enough that I’ve been keeping an eye out for an 8S too, if I find one at the right price (extra tracks, individual outputs, etc).

I can’t say whether it’s what you are looking for, but the 6S/8S are great machines.

Has any body suggested not over thinking it? It literally doesn’t matter. Quit nitpicking and record something.

18 Likes

I have a TR-8s and a MD, and wouldn’t want to let go of either.

I prefer the TR-8s when my focus is on rhythm rather than percussion texture. Although its true that the TR-8s has menus to dive, the default kits are very good so I don’t need the wetsuit. There are a few button combos to know, but from a rhythm programming and performing perspective the TR-8s is a fast and immediate joy to use.

The MD is also a great rhythm box, but it really shines when you get into sound design - much like the A4, MNM and OT. When I want to play with sound directly, Syntrx or Lyra are my first choice. When I want to organize sound in time, Elektrons win. When I want to make something that others will enjoy or at least find accessible, I bring in the TR-8s.

The perfect drum machine is probably the MPC60 Mk2, or MPC3000.

1 Like

Here’s an idea from left field. Hook up a killer sequencer, such as the Octatrack, to a killer multitimbral synth, such as the Virus, and design your own drum templates. That’s what I’m doing. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to lead to drum machine heaven, but it definitely is an interesting exercise learning how drums are synthesized. And you’re not limited!

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve been doing lately even though I have a Rytm MK2. I’m sequencing several drum patches from the Virus TI2 with Hapax sequencer with great results. Mainly because I need the pads on the Virus and also convenient to have lots of filter, modulation and effects at my disposal from one box. For pure dance techno, I’m using my Rytm and Digitone with Octatrack or SP404 MK2. Simplicity is my mantra to have productive and fun workflow. Also easier to record to the DAW or mixer recorder sdcard.

2 Likes

Has any body suggested not over thinking it? It literally doesn’t matter. Quit nitpicking and record something.

I’ve recorded 3 full albums since you posted this and I’m so grateful

17 Likes

What? Have you followed the forum for any length of time? pretty leftfield, man… I mean, what’s left of the hobby, at that stage

4 Likes

Elusive is right. But that’s part of the fun. I am struggling to find the perfect CV sequencer for my Vermona DRM1 MkIV. Right now, I’m getting pissed off at the Korg SQ-64 for not having a song mode. Or maybe it does, but the manual sucks.

2 Likes

What? Have you followed the forum for any length of time? pretty leftfield, man… I mean, what’s left of the hobby, at that stage

Geez it’s almost like people were requiring some thinking before spending months of savings. Damn those peasants! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We’ve attained the Miserable Git Point! And maybe we’ve attained it right from first post… :scream:

But I’m happy with the recommendations so far! :partying_face:

I’ve (re)discovered:

• DSI Tempest
  • Jomox Alpha Base
  • Modor DR-2
  • TR-8S

Which all sound great.

And I’m inclined towards:

• Pairing a Nord Drum 2 with my Digitakt
  • Buying a TR-8S
  • Maybe trying a Syntakt at some point
  • Selling my Rytm MKII
3 Likes

As much as I like my tempest, for me it works best with another drum machine doing the core stuff and having the tempest as percussive sound design and synth powerhouse. In my case at the moment with dr2 and OT.

2 Likes

IPad + drambo + whatever midi Controller assembly
Build your own and you never need to look at the tab

3 Likes

The perfect drum machine will come when the Rytm gets its update.

10 Likes

you mean as an MkIII incarnation?

Modor DR-2 does look really nice for pure drum duties, I bought @Claid’s sample pack of DR-2 because I loved the sound… it has a sort purity to the sound that doesn’t tire the ears, almost like a 808 or 909 with out the baggage.

4 Likes

No, just a firmware update with a 2nd LFO, a Base-Width Filter, …

2 Likes

Would panning the kick drum to one side on Nord Drum 2/3 (then pan remaining channels to the opposite side) solve your individual outs issue?

4 Likes

good idea, but i think they already maxed out the CPU

Kinda but you loose all further spatialisation…

good idea, but i think they already maxed out the CPU

Isn’t that what they said for the Digitakt when the compressor was added, before adding 3 new play modes in the last update?