The elusive perfect drum machine

Here’s an idea from left field. Hook up a killer sequencer, such as the Octatrack, to a killer multitimbral synth, such as the Virus, and design your own drum templates. That’s what I’m doing. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to lead to drum machine heaven, but it definitely is an interesting exercise learning how drums are synthesized. And you’re not limited!

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve been doing lately even though I have a Rytm MK2. I’m sequencing several drum patches from the Virus TI2 with Hapax sequencer with great results. Mainly because I need the pads on the Virus and also convenient to have lots of filter, modulation and effects at my disposal from one box. For pure dance techno, I’m using my Rytm and Digitone with Octatrack or SP404 MK2. Simplicity is my mantra to have productive and fun workflow. Also easier to record to the DAW or mixer recorder sdcard.

2 Likes

Has any body suggested not over thinking it? It literally doesn’t matter. Quit nitpicking and record something.

I’ve recorded 3 full albums since you posted this and I’m so grateful

18 Likes

What? Have you followed the forum for any length of time? pretty leftfield, man… I mean, what’s left of the hobby, at that stage

4 Likes

Elusive is right. But that’s part of the fun. I am struggling to find the perfect CV sequencer for my Vermona DRM1 MkIV. Right now, I’m getting pissed off at the Korg SQ-64 for not having a song mode. Or maybe it does, but the manual sucks.

2 Likes

What? Have you followed the forum for any length of time? pretty leftfield, man… I mean, what’s left of the hobby, at that stage

Geez it’s almost like people were requiring some thinking before spending months of savings. Damn those peasants! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We’ve attained the Miserable Git Point! And maybe we’ve attained it right from first post… :scream:

But I’m happy with the recommendations so far! :partying_face:

I’ve (re)discovered:

• DSI Tempest
  • Jomox Alpha Base
  • Modor DR-2
  • TR-8S

Which all sound great.

And I’m inclined towards:

• Pairing a Nord Drum 2 with my Digitakt
  • Buying a TR-8S
  • Maybe trying a Syntakt at some point
  • Selling my Rytm MKII
3 Likes

As much as I like my tempest, for me it works best with another drum machine doing the core stuff and having the tempest as percussive sound design and synth powerhouse. In my case at the moment with dr2 and OT.

2 Likes

IPad + drambo + whatever midi Controller assembly
Build your own and you never need to look at the tab

3 Likes

The perfect drum machine will come when the Rytm gets its update.

10 Likes

you mean as an MkIII incarnation?

Modor DR-2 does look really nice for pure drum duties, I bought @Claid’s sample pack of DR-2 because I loved the sound… it has a sort purity to the sound that doesn’t tire the ears, almost like a 808 or 909 with out the baggage.

4 Likes

No, just a firmware update with a 2nd LFO, a Base-Width Filter, …

2 Likes

Would panning the kick drum to one side on Nord Drum 2/3 (then pan remaining channels to the opposite side) solve your individual outs issue?

4 Likes

good idea, but i think they already maxed out the CPU

Kinda but you loose all further spatialisation…

good idea, but i think they already maxed out the CPU

Isn’t that what they said for the Digitakt when the compressor was added, before adding 3 new play modes in the last update?

I think Tempest and a decent sequencer would be my choice if I had to pick just one drum machine. But for some styles I would struggle to choose between a Tempest and an Alpha Base. Which I think has a much punchier harder sound which really suits upfront club music, Techno/House etc

Tempest is a really fun machine to use standalone but there are annoying limitations in its own sequencer, so I use it as a sound module. It has limited MIDI implementation; and only samples built in, but unlike many I like the fact it only has the built in samples - means you have to get creative with available samples and the synthesis options, which are VAST to make something unique.

Bizarre choices made however, such as not outputting the rolls to the MIDI out - which in my use would be great as I use Tempest pads via Cirklon to play itself but unfortunately can’t record the roll MIDI which would’ve made it a great MIDI rhythm controller.

2 Likes

Tempest has feedback oscillators, use that on sub sonic frequencys, and it eats Analog Rytm easy. Also it can do these short snappy bass sounds like rattattat, knarz and wump. Only thing is, there is no fm, but that is quiete ok with all that pitch shaping possible.

But you have to put in the time to get the beat out of it, digitakt is a good partner.

1 Like

I couldn’t help you, I love the DT & OT… smaples, snapples, slamples!! Then I just mangle however I want, distort, effects, filter, LaF-LO’s, reverse, retrig, and on and freakin’ ON & ON!!

4 Likes

Op you are too picky and slag off suggestions to mod the drum machines sound with another piece of gear like the Boum. Honestly that is the way to customize the exact sound you want, which is why people suggest it.

I don’t understand why you can’t modulate samples either. I have more flexibility modulating one shots in Ableton than any drum machine I have ever had. Why? Endless LFOs for one. Some modulations are already built into the Simpler, you just dial in the % you want.

You could take a Nord Drum, run it through a Boum, record one shots and have a massive library of custom samples that you then sequence in the DAW… OR you could take a Nord drum, learn it inside and out and get the mix how you want it coming out of the stereo outs and then run that into a Boum or whatever stereo effect you like and have a custom beat.

Seems like a lot of overthinking to me, but maybe I don’t get the use case.

5 Likes