The Elektron documentation thread

Actually, this time it seemed like not even the developers knew about it. Talk about the ghost in the machine…

2 Likes

I’m very glad it’s there. Critical if you’re storing the tempo in each pattern. Thanks!!

Page 58 of A4 Mkii manual

“If both CLOCK RECEIVE and TRANSPORT RECEIVE are activated, the Octatrack MKII will wait for MIDI clock after receiving start or continue messages for 16 seconds before considering external sync lost. This, for example, allows for preroll in sequencers not starting clock until preroll is completed. If only TRANSPORT RECEIVE is enabled the machine will start as soon as possible after receiving start or continue.”

Model:Cycles manual is similarly confusing. I think it has a copy of that sentence and then explains a paragraph or so later how you DO copy a pattern to a not-current pattern.

Since my M:C was a few days old at that point, I considered returning it, as I bought it only after researching that you COULD do this … I was very relieved to read the contradictory later paragraph.

For me it’s functionality that’s essential for live development of pieces but for a long time it felt like it wasn’t a key part of Elektron DNA. Really glad I can do it on my Digitone now as it’s an awesome little powerhouse of a synth/sequencer.

1 Like

@eangman An interessant precision to be added in every manual: what is saved or not exactly

• when turning off the machine
  • when saving a project
  • when factory resetting the machine

I often see questions such as “when are Song/Pattern/Kits/Parts/Sounds saved?” and it would be nice to lift any ambiguities on this subject, IMO.

3 Likes

Hi,

Page 75 of the A4 Mk2 (Setup Examples) says in point 1. connect three cables to the A, B and C outputs but in point 4. cable C is referred to as D.

Yes that is not right. Will fix. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes a classic copy/paste mistake there. It is fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Yes you are right. I have now removed that confusing (contradictory) sentence that stated you could only copy/paste to/from an active pattern, from both the M:S and M:C manual… Good catch! Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes this is a good idea. Honestly the whole saving process across our lines of devices is rather confusing to say the least. I will put it on my to do list. Thanks!

7 Likes

Yeah that is not right, is it. Thanks for pointing it out. I have fixed that in the manual now.

1 Like

Yes … good fix … if I’d read that before buying the M:C I might not have bought it.

Model:Cycles manual seems to need a correction re clearing locks:

1 Like

Copy, Paste and Clear functions on the Model:Cycles operate on different things depending on context and I (and other noobs, see links below) have problems remembering them all. I think that most of these are already in the manual, but to me it seems like it would be a good idea to summarise them all in one place … an appendix maybe ? FWIW, these are my notes, a consolidation of what’s in the Model:Cycles manual plus personal experience and hints on this forum.

Press [TRACK] + [RECORD] to copy the preset/sound (machine + track parameters)
Press [TRACK] + [PLAY] to clear the preset/sound (set default params for machine)
Press [TRACK] + [STOP] to paste the preset/sound to the selected track.

Any pattern copy/paste
Hold [PATTERN] + [TRIG] then press [RECORD] to copy
Hold [PATTERN] + [TRIG] then press and hold [STOP] to paste.
Hold [PATTERN] + [TRIG] then press [PLAY] to clear all pattern data

deactivate GRID RECORDING mode to perform a current pattern copy/paste
Press [FUNC] + [RECORD] to copy the current pattern.
press [FUNC] + [STOP] to paste the copied pattern to the current pattern
Press [FUNC] + [PLAY] to clear a pattern. This clear function will only clear the patterns sequencer data.

activate GRID RECORDING mode to perform a track sequence data copy/paste
Press [FUNC] + [RECORD] to copy the track sequence data
press [FUNC] + [STOP] to paste the copied track sequence data to the current track
Press [FUNC] + [PLAY] to clear track sequence data

activate GRID RECORDING mode to copy/paste a PAGE of track sequence data
Press [PAGE] + [RECORD] to copy the current page.
press [PAGE] + [STOP] to paste the copied page to the current page
Press [PAGE] + [PLAY] to clear a page ?

activate GRID RECORDING mode to copy/paste Trigs, complete with all parameter lock settings
Hold one or several [TRIG]s and press [RECORD] to copy
Hold the [TRIG] key to select and then press [STOP] to paste

EDIT: THIS LINE IS WRONG: -> Hold one or several [TRIG]s and press [PLAY] to clear trig locks[/strike]

Hold the [TRIG]s and THEN press [PLAY] to clear trig NOTE
Hold the [TRIG]s and VERY QUICKLY press [PLAY] to clear ALL trig locks
Hold the [TRIG]s, turn the encoder for the trig lock, and press [PLAY] to clear one trig LOCK

Recent threads on the topic:

2 Likes

A new owner of an A4 talked to me about the fact that he wouldn’t know from the manual why Mute for FX track wouldn’t actually mute the FX.

I told him neither FX nor LFOs were affected, only plocks.

He answered me that this was not in the manual.

Figured I should tell @eangman :wink:

1 Like

Yes Sir! I will fix that. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes maybe I should gather all of these in one place to make it a bit easier. Will probably put them in the shortcut appendix. Good idea for documentation improvement!

2 Likes

It’s the sort of thing that maybe 2 months in you’ll simply know … but right now (1 month in) it’s handy for me to refer to all that copy/paste/clear stuff in one place.

I frequently copy/paste the wrong things :smiley:

1 Like