The Digitone and Digitakt need some gosh darn software management programs - A rant

It´s something that Elektron lacks, a good management software for all their boxes…

3 Likes

If you can, then I couldn’t figure it out. I spent a couple of hours backing up around 77 projects individually, it was a painful procedure.

4 Likes

But, AFAIK, when you backup a project samples are not included. So if you delete the samples used in a project, when you restore it, it doesn’t sound.
Is that correct?

1 Like

I did it around a year ago and haven’t tried importing the projects since. They were exported as sysex files, so I’m assuming no samples.

Not as one backup though , the samples and projects may know where to go once on the machine but require their own separate backup process meaning you have to remember which sample files belong to which projects. Digitakt backup is an after thought imo and is more something you do when you need to rather than as choice, overbridge users and those perma connected to a computer may disagree.

According to How to backup all my work? - #7 by JPM there is a backup feature in development which includes samples for the Transfer app (Digitakt). That would be very velcome!

3 Likes

I think the problem is not backup, I want to move things from one project to other without having to copy, load the project, paste, go back to other project, etc.

2 Likes

Even then, you can’t easily copy and paste from one project to another.

@Microtribe Project editing is exactly what I want to do :slight_smile: If you have a Digitakt, def. check out Elk-Herd. It’s great for easy organization.

1 Like

Moonbeams. Bunny Rabbits.

1 Like

First, Transfer is getting better and better.
We still see improvements coming, let’s not desperate ^^
I too would love to see some total backup at once.

Now rearranging patterns is another matter.
Maybe you could try conceiving the tool that would do this, a mock-up with screens of actual Transfer tool, to suggest Elektron what kind of functionalities it should cover.

2 Likes

I mean, Elk-Herd and Octaedit are perfect examples. Hell, hire those guys and let them build it!

2 Likes

i really wish there was an option to export the samples with your project on the digitakt. that’s my biggest complaint right now.

There is much to like about the Digitakt, but sample management is not one of them.

In my opinion Elektron severely dropped the ball on this one - in particular their inability or reluctance to produce a PC based sample management tool to compensate for its arcane and frankly ancient file management.

The problem is that once you reach a point where the 1Gb sample drive is full, it’s almost impossible to free up space, without destroying the links to the samples that you’ve previously used in a project - which in turn breaks your project. At this point, an option is to buy another Digitakt or go through all your projects - record them out as a performance and then wipe your DT and start again.

The only way I found to work around this daft limitation was to strictly restrict my project source sample pool to a specific and uniquely curated folder of samples. It’s not a particularly elegant solution - but at least its possible to archive off all the source samples for a project and thus securely back it up. But its frustrating because you cannot use the Sound Pool or grab a sample from another folder without running the risk of later breaking the project.

Sure Elk 3.0 helps with the archiving of a project but it can’t find and archive the samples and without the samples the Digitakt project on its own is worthless.

So make a fresh sample folder of fresh samples per project and force yourself to only use samples from it.

Also annoyingly if you have a favourite sample that you want to use in multiple projects - you really need to make it unique as far as the Digitakt’s file intelligence is concerned otherwise it will merely look at the sample - reference it to another that’s already on its drive and then you’re back to facing the problem of subsequently breaking your project.

So again, make a fresh sample folder of fresh samples per project and force yourself to only use samples from it.

Good luck

2 Likes

Did a little messing around and discovered that I can export individual patterns on the Digitone. This at least means I can move patterns around, albeit one at a time. With the Digitakt, Elk-Herd does allow for pattern importing with samples, so that helps, too. I just wish it were easier!

I can go further, I´d like to copy for example the MIDI settings from a track to several tracks even in other projects, without having to do 200 combos.

I need an overview of the whole machine, and see all about projects and their patterns. I´d like to know which ones are used, which ones aren´t, if they´re saved or not, copy the compressor settings from T1 and paste it in several patterns at once… things like that.

2 Likes

Never underestimate the power of pen and paper.

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m working on a thing now and realized I want to use all 8 Digitakt MIDi tracks to send certain messages on every pattern. Since I already have parts programmed into the audio tracks, I have to manually copy each individual MIDI channel multiple times. It’s insane!

@Microtribe That’s all well and good, but as @Grumo says, we’re not talking about a few small things here and there. I literally spent 30 minutes last night just copying and pasting MIDI settings and pages. It’s a bit of a motivation killer.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to use an official Elektron piece of software to rearrange samples within projects and back everything up, but until then Elk-Herd is doing the job nicely. I find the Digitakt chaotic, which I actually quite like. I’m borderline OCD when it comes to file management and the DT initially drove me crazy but now I see it as part of the experience haha.

1 Like

Really, if you want to see something like this happen, I do believe taking the time to think of what you want and how you want it, then drawing some mock-up would help.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, but the mock-ups have already been created. Elk-Herd is pretty much what I’m talking about. Marry that with Octaedit’s precise control over the contents of each pattern and I’d never have made this thread :slight_smile:

But with that said, here’s what I want (I can’t draw or design for my life, so I’ll skip that part).

1. The ability to download the entire machine in one Sysex file.
  2. The ability to view projects including their structures, samples/sounds, patterns, and tempos.
  3. The ability to transfer (in bulk) patterns from one project to another) via drag and drop.
  4. The ability to rename patterns and move them around within projects.

But seriously, just taking Elk-Herd and Octaedit and merging them together with the Transfer app would be perfect.

2 Likes