The Digitakt Wonder: appreciation thread

I think the 2x8 sequencer is a big part of it. The finger immediacy of everything also makes it very exciting.

3 Likes

yeah, I think the form factor suits me. I have the feeling I will be able to operate very fast after some more weeks of usage

1 Like

Iā€™ve been finding I prefer the 2x8 layout more as well; especially, for programming hi-hats.

4 Likes

me too. And for playing piano :wink:

3 Likes

2x8 rules :sunglasses:

7 Likes

It just seems like it makes the bar really click for me. for Poly-Rhythms, syncopation, and programming uncommon time signatures it immediately makes sense!

I have to sorta concentrate on 1x16, and my experience with 4x4 sequencing annoys me and makes me impatient.

but 2x8- thatā€™s the spot!

4 Likes

Whoa dude! Iā€™ve just been comPLETELY forsaking the sampling capabilities of this wonderful machine! How quick it is to snag a sound and then get running with it.

I just did a session just like, whatever, Iā€™ll just play on some electric piano from Gadget from my phone- letā€™s see what we can do. Result: eh, that sounds kinda cheesy, but letā€™s see how I can sequence it.

And then sequencing it was just like a constant unfolding process- just a relaxing unraveling.

Threw a nice simple beat on to it- and then I pulled in a sample of ā€œOh Darlingā€ by San Fermin I had been experimenting with- and before I knew it I was relaxed from work with a nice simple beat pouring into my headphones.

This machines great! :heart:ļø

13 Likes

Had to sell all my synths and stuff earlier this year, now Iā€™m starting over fresh and Iā€™ve had a DT for 24 hoursā€¦I love it!

I previously had an MD (where I learned the Elektron Way), and a RYTM and A4, which I didnā€™t like (too much like hard work, didnā€™t like the sound).

The DT is completely different - itā€™s only taken me a day to get my head around the main functionality and architecture (unlike the RYTM and A4, which I never fully understood), and itā€™s so immediateā€¦Iā€™ve never been one for sampling with my DAW (I just stick to synth/drum machine arrangements) so this is completely new, fun and refreshing. You can make whole tracks on this thing and itā€™s really performance oriented. I love it! Shame thereā€™s no per-track scaling but you canā€™t have everything I guess.

Amazing box! Almost feel like I donā€™t need anything elseā€¦lolā€¦but Iā€™m gonna pair it with a decent monosynth and probably a Digitone. Right now my main sound sources are just my laptop, and a Zoom H4n Pro. Good timesā€¦

1 Like

The DT is my first and only sampling groovebox and it just blew my mind from day one, you can even make full albums with it and nothing else if you want. The best thing is that I got it used for 500ā‚¬ :smiley: just after the firmware release where they fixed most of the bugs, so it was a lot of value for the money.

3 Likes

The DT has totally changed my way of working. Sold everything else. Going to add a DN, two AS-1ā€™s and an Earthquaker pedal, having everything in one compact, mixerless setup.

4 Likes

The DN + DT combo is really amazing. I sold my DN and regret it. I sold it when I bought a motorbike and needed some new gear (jacket/helmet/gloves) Tbh though Iā€™m not sure whether to buy another DN or a second DT.
Two DTā€™s would be so cool :grin:

I love the DN+DT too, feels just short of something like an MPC where you could produce a whole track using just those two.

Double DT is cool too but at that point I would personally just go for an OT unless the main reason you want the 2 DTā€™s is to have more tracks. In my opinion OT+DT > DN+DT > DT+DT

1 Like

Correction:
OT+DT+DN > OT+DT > DN+DT > DT+DT

2 Likes

OT and DT here. Considering going OT>DT>DN

Or maybe just OT>DN

i have only DTā€¦but considering going too OTā€¦
is a nice combo???somebody?

So i tried a DT, as the OP suggested. :grinning: (having AR mkI and A4 mk1)

While I can understand the hype about the simplicity and immediancy, especially as a ā€œonly one box solutionā€ and had some fun with the easy sampling, I once more approved for myself that IĀ“m more a synt than sample guy. To sample a tone and than buildt a chord from this is not immediate and direct enough for me. Also a huge thing for me was only HP and LP Filter. Sure, one could resample with different Filter settings, but the nice base width filter from DN would be great on DT!

For resampling also some kind of buffer would be great, so if you dont want to save the sample permanantly, because its just a [resampled] middle step on the way to your actual sound. This way you would not have to name the sample and so onā€¦ would be way quicker :wink:

Luckily I was within the return period and changed DT for DN. (which I had tried before)

more about the AR A4 DN setup in the your setups thread soon :sunglasses:

Greetings Elektronauts :slightly_smiling_face:
First post. New DT user here. Loving it!
Really did my homework before purchasing.
Big thanks to this community for all the in-depth info.
You guys crawling through the trenches on here really helped me choose!

I am muy impressed w all the great unique features of this drum machine.
My usual musical role is either bassist or rhythm guitar, normally in a ā€˜back-upā€™ role.
Once Iā€™m well versed in Digitakt maneuvers Iā€™m hoping to bust out in solo fashion!
The variety you can get w p-locks and conditions are really blowing my mind.
Iā€™ve honestly barely scratched the surface of the actual sequencer itself,
as Iā€™m continually distracted by resampling tweaked chromatic phrasesā€¦ :laughing:

I did buy mine second-hand and was wondering about trying to get right w warrantiesā€¦
Evidently my unit was one of the ones that wasnā€™t flashed w the factory patternsā€¦
Not really a big deal though, and Iā€™m also not even disappointed in lack of Overbridge!
I may change my tune once I run out of space and have to start Sysex dumps etcā€¦
But that is why I wanted to make my first post on this forum in this particular thread.
Because YAY Digitakt is awesome and Iā€™m having a blast already just imagining possibilities :star_struck:

My plan is to basically cozy this thing up w/ my looper and create semi-random pocket symphonies with just Digitakt and my bass guitar rig. Stay tuned!

Thanks again to all involved here for steering me straight. See yā€™all around :tv:

1 Like

Got my DT nearly a year ago and thatā€™s exactly how I used it. Syncā€™d up my looper and did live bass along side of the DT. Lots of fun. I still have the DT, but since getting an OT last September, the DT hasnā€™t been seeing a lot of action. The OT basically replaced the looper. Sometime I use the OT and DT together, but not too often. They do work quite well together though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had both and I think the DT is a great machine but I really liked the OT more. Sold the DT and kept the OT. That all being saidā€¦ the OT is a more powerful machine. It also ties all the other machines together depending on how you use it. It fits my purpose more but it really depends on how you use your machines. I think the DT could be a better fit for certain people.

1 Like

Alright, while I do love the computer like buttons, I have to say the trig keys in chromatic mode got me to thinking.

As a joke someone should make a mock up of the digitakt with the trig keys set up like the ergonmomic keyboards with them being at a slight slant coming to a ā€˜Vā€™ like shape almost so you donā€™t have your wrists at an angle.