The Digitakt Wonder: appreciation thread

The bass (2nd) sound is extremely different, too different to just be engine/converters… there has to be some slower envelope or filter on the OT track… or else there’s bugs in DT’s OS right now, seemed clicky?

The other sounds seem identical to me.

The Digitakts sound is awesome but also a little too bright at times so I just roll it off at at 12k or so cause that’s how I roll😏

1 Like

I am enjoying the Digitakt very much.

The sound is pleasing. I am pleased that they decided to put in few, but very usable effects. I think maybe mono sample + decent stereo reverb/delay creates a more 3D sound than stereo sample + effects. I’ve found short delay to work very nicely as a ‘spatializer’, it can really make things jump out of the mix.

The number of elements you can control is relatively few, but you have very good control over them. The amp envelope, for example. Very precise and musical control is possible. Likewise tuning.

So yes, I am very ‘down’ with the overall philosophy of the Digitakt. I think I use all of its features. There are others I would like added, but the essentials are all accessible and well-executed.

My only fear is that they will not be able to fix whatever bugs are making it crash unpredictably (and not, for me, just when MIDI is in action). I have my fingers crossed that a bit of code monkeying will make everything good again, and there isn’t some fatal flaw at the heart of it all (underpowered processor?).

Don’t make me go back to the Electribe, Elektron. You can’t give me a taste of the good life and then take it away.

7 days and counting.

Hmm, yeah. My words feel vintage now.

Either Elektron’s struggling, or they’re preparing a redemption release. Not only do they fix the bugs, but serve up a lot of goodies as well, which will make us all forgive and forget.

I’m guessing the later.

Wishful thinking maybe dude :wink: I’d imagine they’re entirely focused on just fixing what’s there, making it totally solid asap and saving their reputation before it becomes their ‘Tempest’… New features = potential new bugs. Doubt they want to deal with that just yet… Be cool if master compressor at least makes it in to the next update tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

They have moved on from the Digitakt and started work on the DigiSynth.

:pl:

2 Likes

Yes, makes sense. Also, it could be such a simple thing as resources juggling. Some random product planner at Elektron decided that once the Digitakt is out, lots of people can go on vacation or work on other things, and thus they’ve just allocated the right people to do other things.

Man, I’d love to just rip their organisation apart and work my magic in their studio. They’d hate me at first, but love me in the end.

2 Likes

You know, I wouldn’t rule it out. Smarter people have made worse resource-allocation decisions.

3 Likes

For the last 18 months the live improv. rig has been Ableton Live, Launchpad Pro, FaderFox UC44, and Novation Circuit. I originally thought I’d replace the Circuit with the Digitakt since I only used the drums on the Circuit, and the DT offered many more musical options for live sequencing…

…But now, after three weeks of DT, four group improv. sessions, and one live gig… I’m totally rethinking the rig. DT has become the major focus of my performance, not just because it is “new”, but because I can do so much to build and mutate patterns on the fly. It’s like it has the immediacy that the Circuit has, but the depth of my Ableton set. And so I’m thinking I don’t need either anymore. I still want a little bit external controller: pads, notes, and faders… not sure the mix.

The only thing missing is sync’ing with the other musicians via Ableton’s Link protocol… but perhaps that can be solved with a Raspberry Pi… :astonished:

I’ve read something about updated graphics somewhere. I much rather see track scaling or something nice. But that’s just wishful thinking. We know nothing as Elektron hasn’t told us what to expect and what not. So I expect nothing but bug fixes. New features are a bonus not a given.

This is normally true, but this machine has had a strict deadline for release and is obviously missing some basic features every other box has.

As for obvious candidates for additions… Sysex dumps? Master page? Options to loop a sample while previewing? I think we’ll see new features soon - just don’t expect polyphony and built-in synth engines :slight_smile:

exactly, with this converter Quality it is a joy to produce Songs, the Octatrack is so awesome but only for Live, in the Studio its a real bummer soundwise, imagine a Octatrack with this Quality…omg

1 Like

When you go and assume Elektron will add this or that you’ll only get disappointed. They’re under no obligation to add anything new. It has to do what is advertised. And once the midi bugs are gone it’;; do just that.

I’m curious to the missing basics though. What are the missing basics? The sysex dumps which will be added else we have no way to backup the machine and without that the machine is simply a toy.

1 Like

You’re right, of course. They CAN not add anything to the machine.

Maybe I’m assuming too much, but I think there’s something that feels like something a black Elektron needs to have…

The Sysex thing is one.

In mute mode, pressing Func while muting/unmuting allows you to do it to multiple tracks when you release func.

There’s no way to loop a sample preview while trimming.

Mainly small workflow stuff is the stuff I kind of expect to be added. But yeah, fully agree with the ‘assumptions lead to disappointment’ point you made :slight_smile:

It’s most likely projection of myself as well. I hope they add some nifty features as they do have something to make up for. But on the other hand if I assume they do then I risk getting more disappointed with Elektron than I already am :sweat_smile:

1 Like

After a few more sessions with the DT, I’m still in love. I think it doesn’t take a lot to knock it out of the park. Fix the remaining bugs, hone the UI and there you go. It’s such a fun machine that given the opportunity I might even get a second one to put to the other side of my OT.

5 Likes

Since it was released i kept away from the midi for a while.

Started sequencing the 0C today, what a joy!!

1 Like

… making pretty dope stuff on the digitakt.

Just saying

3 Likes

Tracks or it didn’t happen :wink:

4 Likes