The Digitakt Wonder: appreciation thread

I’ve got to say the size and layout of the DT are damn near perfect.

I’m building up a live rig that fits on a guitar pedal board. DT, A4, Heat, MFB Tanzmaus and a mixer. That’s an insane amount of cool gear in basically what amounts to a large briefcase. Got the CCs for the Tanzmaus locked into the DT and layering up samples has never been so much fun!

3 Likes

i love both the OT and the DT, but for me it’s that you don’t need to have a prepared part set-up. (e.g. set up a track so it’s flex/static track, make sure your memory buffers are assigned with enough room… assign the sample etc etc) if you have a pre-made template on the OT of course you can prepare it like this. But the fact you don’t have to think about that on the DT is why maybe people are talking about its ‘ease’ … re the start of this thread… there’s something about actually just using the thing, (i.e. getting your hands on one ) that makes a lot of peoples euphoria more understandable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll quote myself at the start of this thread:
You owe it to yourself to try it.

1 Like

Your right, this little baby is gold. I just got mine today and loaded a couple of Roland JD800 samples and it does beautiful things to audio, very nice.

1 Like

Yeah theres enough unique (among Elektron boxes) functionality to make me want to check one out at some point :slight_smile:

Was just curious about the ‘fast sampling/editing/asssignment process’ buzz but pretend I never asked :wink:

Its not often you come across instruments in the hardware or software realms that have such a gigantic sweet spot. I don’t mean to keep the OT comparison going but it’s a good example of a piece of gear with similar functionality that requires quite a bit of coaxing to get things to sound right and be coherent. Of course, with experience things become second nature but I remember heaps of time spent chucking all sorts into the OT that just sounded shit at the end (though I did have a load of super fond memories of the times it just worked out).

I’m definitely in it for the long haul with this one despite soon needing to return it to Juno for a replacement. Got another key sticking now :cry:

1 Like

I love the compact nature, I was kidding though (in reference to the hating, just a joke) towards me not having an OT anymore. I do love this tiny DT tho. its been great to me!

-NV

ah shit man that sucks about the key. I think you’ve been one of the biggest fans of this device even in current state, alongside a few others. long haul baby! we in it to win it!

_ NV

1 Like

Quite possibly I’m wrong. I never spent the time with the Octatrack that it perhaps deserved. I don’t remember the four way split representation of the waveforms on the screen, seem to recall it just had the single view. I could be wrong.

There’s no question the Octatrack is the superior machine in terms of potential. I wish I’d had the time to learn it. Digitakt is better for me, being simpler. Quite possible if I really click and start to learn it more and bump up against its limitations I may end up buying an Octatrack again!

2 Likes

in this regard we sound like twins. my Elektron journey is similar.

1 Like

this I can’t second … the field good but their noise-level is really bad … they add this reverby-metallic release sound wich makes it hard to hear what your playing… unless you play quite loud

1 Like

I dont get that vibe. Especially after using the OT and also the op-1, now the op-1, that’s a noisy little box. whoa. LOL

So different these positive comments…
are we talking about the same DT here?
Did you all get an PM and a Tshirt? :grimacing:

1 Like

You’re the only reason at this point that got me back in the excited bandwagon.
In my eyes, your optimism is legendary haha.

1 Like

no kidding … exactly I can hear the springs… I find this quite disturbing… all old machines are quiter

don’t get me wrong - overall I’m happy so far with the DT … but I heard from electron how good quality those new buttons are… hearing springs in a button doesn’t transport that

Well, I don’t have much to add to this thread since I agree that the Digitakt is wonderful when it works. When the MIDI is sorted I think we will be seeing mostly positive comments from everyone.

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: the Digitakt is the single most FUN piece of gear I’ve ever owned, and that’s worth something to me. I find it to be my favorite type of gear because it is quick and easy to use, sounds great, leads into interesting territories and unexpected avenues, and constantly surprises me.

You certainly can’t judge the Digitakt from its specs. It is one of those rare pieces of gear that doesn’t seem particularly special on paper, but is a legend in reality. I truly think it will be an instrument of legend 10+ years from now.

2 Likes

i also think its the best music thing ever bought
fits directly on my brain

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying record buffers have nothing to do with sampling. I didn’t know there was another way to assign what you sampled to tracks. How do that? Thanks!

great for me:
trackmutestates per pattern ! yeah
not to deal with sets ! yeah
the little size is a unthought HUGE win for me ! yeah
Conditional Triggs. a first for me. Yeah !

i leave my critics out to keep it positiv, but …there´s that other side of the moon also ( has nothing to do with unfinished OS in my case)

Back to the Digitakt wonder!

I can’t believe how much variation and cool stuff you can do with a few tracks and one bar. I’m getting nice full sounding stuff using only 3 tracks and plenty of variation. Lots of conditional trigs, lots of sample p-locking, start times, stop times, enabled loop here and there.

From time to time some of the 1-10% conditional trigs trigger and choke each other while being fed into p-locked filter and delay tweaks which sounded just too cool. Happy accidents happen a lot.

Can’t wait to start using some of the midi track lfo’s and p-locks on the audio tracks for even more one bar variation. With all it’s flip sides this box is addictive to use and sounds amazing. I sat down to make music for an hour and before I knew it 2 hours have passed and a couple patterns created.

1 Like