The Digitakt Feature Request Thread

So you’d have 1 MIDI track devoted to sending pattern changes to the Digitakt, and 1 MIDI track sending sequences thru USB to an external synth. Well, if anybody cares to try that out, I’m interested :slight_smile:

• Delay/reverb on audio input
  • copy/paste/save midi track (like sounds)
  • Load a sample from +drive into sampling buffer. This would allow basic sample edit : trim and normalization.
1 Like

Request for the MIDI track parameters:

On the SRC page, include parameters for both MSB and LSB of the MIDI Bank Select message, in order to allow full compatibility with instruments from all manufacturers.

5 Likes

Add a mode for Real Time Recording WITHOUT Microtiming !!! This is annoying like hell!!

I know, quantization is possible later, but i need spot-on Beats AND i need micro-timing for other purposes as well. And Quantization overrides Microtiming.

So please: Add a spot-on Real Time recording mode, so that it doesnt record my off-grid playing ^^

If you mean quantized recording, you can switch between quantized/unquantized by holding REC and tapping PLAY twice, it shows the mode in the display…

5 Likes

per track scaling please!

1 Like

I was a little dissapointed at that too, it would be so good, probably too good for a £600 machine.

again: track copy:
PLEASE WITH THE WHOLE SOUND PAGES !

/Rant over

…as we have patterns and “kits” tied together anyway.
the other thing would be called: sequenze copy :wink:

personally, i so often end up that i have to shuffle tracks around.
what was thought to be the BD track becomes the Bass track etc.
i totally don´t care of anything bigger wishes like a comp with sidechain or a Toaster on track 9 or automatic emergency call on track 10 because of me too much fliiping on the good music etc. aslong such small details not´ve been sorted.

not sure if this is a big help but you can copy multiple trigs at once. so say that you have 6 trigs on one page with conditions etc. just hold all 6, copy, then move to the other track hold trigs and paste. Still a bit of a hassle compared to just copy the entire sequence in one go though so yes that would be nice.

i´m not used to copy several Triggs at once. indeed.
the thought that arises: what is different when copying many triggs at once than copying the whole sequenze ?
copying the whole sequenze ( copy track) is grabbing all triggs allready.
the problem is that the sound parameter pages settings as such are not copyed.

if i p-lock every tracks main parameters to each trig would the “copy track” work.
but if we p-lock the tracks main parameters to each trigg would we run then into the maximum 72 p-locks per pattern limit!!

i anyway started to p-lock the main parameters of a track to at least one trigg in a track,
but i have to quite this habit as i run out of locks anyway.
The 72 p-lock limit is a REAL bummer finally.

On a related note. One of the things I kind of like with the Digitakt is the limitations puts the focus in the performance aspect. So consider a pattern change mode (song mode) + unlimited p-locks. Essentially that gives you the power to completely automate an entire performance. In a live situation that would mean all that was required would be to plug in and press play. Not much different from just recording the track in ableton and “playing” live with just your laptop or whatever. Or dj-ing from records. Personally I find this type of live performance a bit uninspiring. I would much rather see a performance with live instruments and as little pre-automation as possible. I think generally the Digitakt lends itself very well to this in part due to it’s limitations. In my opinion Elektron should definetly not add any features like this to the Digitakt if it comes at any cost of DSP-performance or audio quality.( That said I would love a compressor with per track side-chaining. )

4 Likes

…kind of a rant i guess:

i totally do agree with this !
couldn´t more.

i once bought me a quasdimidi 309 and sirius at once, wanted to make some techno.
I was playing bass at that time. NO electronics, No clue about electronics.
i got the synths, i played the demo tracks. The disappointment was big, haha.
now i understood that you just have to push play to make techno.
:wink:

I totally, totally totally disagree !
couldn´t more…x 1000 ( well, on the p-locks. i´m not into Song modes either )

if you are so much into limitations, why not throw out ALL sounds ( oh well, are they even there ? i don´t know ),
and more so, why not throw out ALL samples ?
start from scratch with nothing. Go and sample the white noise from the audioinput and work your way up from there !
(There´s a own (still freesh) thread on that topic here)
thats in fact what i´m right now doing !

i totally don´t get it that ever somebody could rise up his voice against having no limitations in the number of available P-locks and such things, really.
It´s THE SOUL of a elektron Box, isn´t it ?
strange

No, 72 locks is not enough and its the most unclever of all thinkable limitation in a elektron box that you could vote for !
/Rant

was edited by me / shorted

Interesting rant, I appreciate your perspective. Starting completely from scratch would be extremely time consuming at least for me with lack of experience. Time I do not have (work, kids etc). I love that with the DT I can get something interesting going in 30 mins, far from complete of course, but still. I also sometimes carry a portable audio recorder (zoom q3) so I can still scratch my creatitivity, by finding cool sounds outside, while on the go doing other stuff. That’s part of why I find sampling interesting. Well I have still to reach the p-lock limit myself so maybe I’ll change my mind regarding the p-locks when I get there.

1 Like

Please @Ess @Olle can we have a midi assignment for reload pattern.

I want to build a big midi button I can just hit to reload after cntl-all instead of having to hold func and hitting no.

Even if it’s 14bit midi I’m fine with that (if you’ve run out of standard midi numbers)

1 Like

Agreed. The Digitakt is just a toy for me until it has either a song mode or the ability to save pattern chains.

I’m not going to waste a bunch of time creating pattern chains when the machine is just going to lose the chain when I power down. If I can save it, then it’s useless to me.

Would you call an Sh101 a toy? Or a MiniMoog? How about a Tr808? Is that a toy? None of them offer what you seek. Does that make them less professional or useful musical tools?

I’m not a fanboy. The Digitakt has had a disastrous launch and I would really hesitate to use it live, especially with Midi devices. and while I completely understand the need for pattern chain saving and song mode in a modern context…And I would implore Elektron to implement these features…But perhaps we need to chill with calling an excellent instrument a toy?

Please give us our “viable option to not having song mode” in the next update Elektron.

1 Like

For my purposes (and many others who play guitar, bass, sing, etc) a drum machine that can’t save pattern chains is a toy. I didn’t buy the Digitakt to play as a keyboard, and I’m not a DJ who is going to stand in front of it bobbing my head and twisting knobs.

Elektron said there would be a viable option to not having a song mode.

I think this comes down to if you can see yourself playing both the Digitakt and the other instrument in a live setting. If not then the Digitakt most certainly is not the optimal solution. You should probably consider AR for that purpose, but I don’t own the AR so I can’t really say.
I also play guitar/bass and have been playing with the idea to do guitar/bass + ditto looper and also the Digitakt, which I think will be cool.