The Digitakt Feature Request Thread

A great thing to have would be a - mute/choke group across the 8 audio tracks - and BAM instant SP12/MPC like experience. Very simple and very inspiring. Great way of working with samples. No need for extra CPU.
Anyone?
:sun_with_face:

5 Likes

In a way you can plock the samples on the same track to achieve this. For example, putting both closed and open hats on the same track, which will then choke each other as they play. The only limitation/annoyance is having to plock parameters for each hit if you donā€™t want the same filter settings for both, for example

Yes I know it can be programmed, thatā€™s not really the point.
Iā€™d like to live jam & record: https://youtu.be/ERBKGRtdVrg?t=238

2 Likes

Okay, Iā€™ll keep it short:

Midi-Section:

• Note transposition for the whole midi track
  • adjusted scaling (lowered sensibility) for the Note encoders: Theyā€™re just too fiddly!
  • Indication of the current midi channel number on every midi page. There is enough room in the left lower corner, right under the big and (at least for me) useless alphabetical midi channel name.
  • trigger page: jumping to musical lenghts (1/4, 1/8, etc.) while holding function and turning the lenght encoder (no, it doesnā€™t work!)

And the usual other stuff:

• Time scaling per track
  • more filter types: at least BP; notch or different slopes (6/12/18db) would be nice too.
  • wider range of sample transpose: from -36 to +36 would be great.
  • saving pattern chains (I dare not to say songmode)
  • internal midi-loop-back sounds like a real killer feature!

Btw: I would gladly lose the compressor for any of the above, if cpu etc. is a concern

6 Likes

Noooooo
Compressor is the one of the best things about it !!

6 Likes

iā€™m thinking of pulling the plug on the Digitakt and getting an MPC Live. DT does some things well; nice sequencer and control, nice sounding, overbridge; it can almost be the center of my studio but thereā€™s few things holding it back which I didnā€™t expect. I know these points have been re-iterated before, but the more we mention them the more chance theyā€™ll be noticed (maybe).

X. It was my fault that I didnā€™t read if FX on input is possible before I purchased it, but I really expected it at this level. I want to route my synths through itā€™s fx, I can only do a dry passthrough in mono now :frowning: I donā€™t mind so much sampling in mono, but not able to route in through fx is a crazy disadvantage in this day and age in my opinion. This is a KEY lacking feature in my viewā€¦ Happy to sacrifice one or even two channels of audio for this, as long as we have option to route through fx, and to pan each input left right

X. Sample management is slow and kinda confusing. I want to be able to quickly audition different stored samples on my pattern (say I want to go through many kicks stored on drive) just by turning a knobā€¦ I donā€™t want to go through multiple key presses each time. Say I have 50 kicks, I want to test them all out on my kick sequence in less than a minute without them taking up space in my sound poolā€¦ I can load all sounds up but then clearing them becomes a pain - maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong? See the Akai MPC series for how easy it is to test samples.

X No eq per channel. this should not be too costly to implement. It needs to offer bit more sound tailoring - if a kick has too much bass at say 80hz, I have no way to adjust that without chopping off everything below that range. maybe I can kinda accept this thanks to overbridge, maybe

X No arp? why not? This is a must

X Sound settings are per pattern - if I change volume levels on one pattern, they are not available on the other patternā€¦ this makes it a chore, I have to go and manually adjust things now same thing through every patternā€¦ essentially a pattern is almost a separate project. why? I donā€™t think iā€™ve ever seen this on any other piece of hardware. Why not give a ā€œglobalā€ settings option (by holding a combination of keys for example) that allows change for the sound settings of all patterns?

X Doesā€™t send note off properly - but note on with 0 velocityā€¦ doesnā€™t play as nice with some of my midi gearā€¦ I got a Retrokits midi cable that can ā€œfixā€ this, so I can live without it.

X Sound waveform editor has to offer zoom in - itā€™s very difficult to create smooth loop transitions.

X Transport Controls to send midi: play stop and record should send midi data so I can map them to transport controls in Logic - this way I can start/stop Logic from DT, and then Logic can do itā€™s thing as a master clock

X Give us some more space - I red somewhere that the disk drive might actually have more than 1GB space? - please allow us to utilise bit of extra space, my 1GB is already full - I like to sample synths and loops.

X Allow swing to be applied per track selection - or even better, allow a grouping of tracks to have it applied to. I donā€™t want everything swinging like crazy, including bass/pads/leads - just want the drums for example.

X Midi tracks: allow midi CC sent when pressing on the CC knobs - I really could use a button here and there to map to my synths but they donā€™t send midi.

X I really wouldnā€™t mind couple more different FX (you can give an option to pick between compressor or one of these perhaps) - flanger/phaser/chorus - something to add bit more variety and spice.

X No battery - someone else did a mod and showed thereā€™s plenty of space for a battery inside - itā€™s small enough that having a battery would make it great for moving about. Iā€™d be happy to pay for an official battery pack attachment that slots in nicely somewhere somehow :slight_smile:

As it stands itā€™s a bit like getting a fine steak, but without the chips and the peppercorn sauceā€¦ or a gorgeous oled tv, but without a netflix supportā€¦ or a slick ferrari with amazing interior and power, but without properly working brakes (maybe this oneā€™s a bit much as it essentially renders the car unusable), but you get the point,

6 Likes

They can make it an option to switch between compressor or something else - we donā€™t need all the things at once, but a few more options would really help

2 Likes

Thats a nice idea a plug and play system where you can choose which functions to activate in some kind of boot meny/config

That would solve the issue with cpu also, there is a 1gb drive to store setups on already

Agree, but I somehow doubt, that Elektron will implement such an optional system. Seems like too big of a change in the source code this late in the running time of the DT. I also dont believe they would remove the compressor. Minor changes & improvements is all I hope for. But hey, you still can dream (and give them feedback for their next machines). :wink:

1 Like

I wonā€™t weigh in my opinion comparing the two. I will simply say that they are two very very different pieces of kit. I was a previous Live owner myself.

My advice, play with the MPC a little bit before purchasing.

Please do share your opinion - always good to hear point of views about the competition. I used to own the mpc 1000, and oktatrack. The 1k was a bit bland sounding with quite bad FX, but it was a workhorse. The okta was quite nice sounding with resonable FX, but needlessly overcomplicated so I sold it - one pet peeve was the eq range was from 0-127, what Hz is that? Why not just put some meaningful numbers there with a Hz at the end. Anyway DT is certainly a step in the right direction of simplifying things a bit, but with some chunky omissions unfortunately.

Digitakt is kind of like the 500. 500s and digitakts are cool too

The option of changing the sound directly instead of making a copy for each pattern. (a.k.a. some kind of kit functionality)
Saving a pattern chain per bank.

1 Like

the possibility to have the next pattern selection mode locked. ready all the time not just a few seconds as itā€™s now.
I am a multi instruments player and the possibility to select a pattern at any time in one trig would be very nice (especially as you donā€™t want to think about manipulations between a verse and a chorus while playing the keyboards for example)

It would be great if you could hold [fill] and press a step to plock a different sound for fill mode on top of active triggered sounds, so when you hold fill in play mode, the sound state changes. Right now you can set steps to trigger on fill mode, but you cant change the ā€œfill soundā€. I know this is not what trigs are really for but I would like to do more variations on a fill. Even just an alternate trig layer. Maybe fill mode could do more than just trigger trigs?

2 Likes

Bandpass/hi-lo filter and stereo input monitor pretty please and this device would be pretty much perfect :pray:

5 Likes

these are probably my last feature requests as wellā€¦ as long as the stereo monitoring has some kind of gain control - the current input level is too lowā€¦
I kinda gave up on other CPU-heavy processes (Iā€™m just guessing here, no expert) like zoom on SRC page

2 Likes

What i did was lower the volume on the compressor page to level out the input monitor to the internal volume

2 Likes

Is time stretch a hardware limitation thing, or is it possible to implement on the DT?

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible, or of their interest