The different MachineDrums?

Factory models:

MD MK1 (2001). 32 steps, thicker case, noisier jacks, MK1-only PSU. Cannot sample.

MD MK1 UW (2005) 32 steps, thicker case, noisier jacks, MK1-only PSU. CAN SAMPLE.

MD MK2 (2007) 64 steps, thinner case, less noise. Cannot sample.

MD MK2 UW (2007) 64 steps, thinner case, less noise. CAN SAMPLE.

MD MK2 UW+ (2010) 64 steps, thinner case, less noise. CAN SAMPLE and store multiple “Slots” (projects) and store multiple sample banks.

35 Likes

What a family <3

Be wary of the net, look what happened to poor Sandy :joy:

Joking aside, I believe that for a short while there were +drive non UW models too.

10 Likes

Thanks man, perfect answer :smile:

Poor Sandra, yeah that’s what I’m seeing, it’s the very first version that’s why it’s so cheap

I am bit confused about the versions of the machinedrum ?! What’s the difference between them?
I am asking because I just saw one for sell near me at fairly good price … and for some reason I am having some GAS … Does it even make sense to buy one at this day and age? Should I go for it?

A Machinedrum, to me, makes sense always…

Models:
• Machinedrum SPS-1 MKI (2001)
• Machinedrum SPS-1 MKII (2007)
• Machinedrum SPS-1UW MKII (2007)
• Machinedrum SPS-1UW+ MKII (2010)

You can find no +Drive model upgraded with a drive (like I did).

I suggest all the ways a UW model

5 Likes

Yes it still makes sense. Yes UW is the max you can grab. But a good price for a mki is far better than nothing :wink:

1 Like

Yeah but I mean what does the UW have over the other one?
What’s the +Drive? :slight_smile:

UW means that you’l have samples and sampling habilities.

• Drive means far more memory (128× plus)
    Others differs by number of steps (32 vs 64)
3 Likes

Hmm judging from the pictures, I think this is the non UW version …

I would suggest you to search for some UW demonstrations (for how it can sound) and then decide if it’s a feature you cannot miss.
After seeing some Allerian stuff…I was completely sold :heart_eyes:

But even without UW, Machinedrum it’s an amazing box of tricks

2 Likes

Yeah, I always reflect back to his Swiss Mountain Music demonstration when thinking of the UW.

3 Likes

Non-UW is still fine. Though it, by default, doesn’t come with the +drive, so you’re going to have to keep that thing near constantly plugged up to your computer midi interface for backing up because you don’t have any extra projects.

And with all the synth engines in that monster(and the unfortunate shortcoming of workibg strictly with lots as far as presets are concerned) you’re going to fill up all the available patterns trying things out and exploring(I say this to the favor of the MD)

It’s a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Machine- and a non-UW is better than no UW at all.

But you will probably want a UW at some point. (Field recording percussion just sounds amazing running it through its engines and resampling really offers a whole world of possibility)

UW MKI is missing. :wink:
It has 32 steps only. Not the same PSU.
It was made before MKII (non UW).
+Drive let you have snapshots, hence more than 128 projects.
So MKII UW+ is the best!

MKII non UW has 64 steps.
UW MKI has 32 steps. :wink:

5 Likes

Hey! Me too! :wink:

2 Likes

Hey! I’m 14 and you?
I became father at 8! :crazy_face:

1 Like

That sounds…awkward :smiley:

Edit:

To multiply before you learn about multiplication