The Compressor

ratio 1:2 vol 102 attack 30 release 0 makeup 45/50 give or take
72-82 mix leave amp volume at 60

click in 3 on the dist -1 Sym

I play techno I like this combo also analog machines only & only drum sounds so if you do something similar try it out took me about a year to decide that was it for me

8 Likes

Hey guys! Sry for necrobumping this but I canā€™t find any info on what the actual cutoff frequency is on the HPF? Even though itā€™s on, the levels get too high when kick is bypassed. Maybe Iā€™m just mixing the kick too loud?

1 Like

this is a cool concept. Which Parameters on the compressor would you choose to P Lock and for which circumstances?

also, ā€œGhost kick w trig conditions?ā€ I would love to hear some elaboration on this :slight_smile:

Ghost kick means a kick trig but with very little velocity (often, but sometimes other parameters). Real drummers often use ghost notes to spice the beat a bit. So a ghost kick with trig conditions comes in every now and then based on the condition.

3 Likes

Definitely make sure you check the sidechain settings (SEQ?). Iā€™ve never liked how it sounds on the Rytm tbh. Sidechain off with light compression (not moving too far below ā€œMUPā€) and about -50% mix usually always sounds good and a bit enhanced.

Learned a new term todayā€¦

ā€¦Necrobumpingā€¦!

Luckily i was reading on the toilet cause i laughed so hard i did a small amount of wee.

7 Likes

the comp on rytm is the most difficult fx for me. i have this elektron chain, Model D into AK (great for CV!) into Rytm into Digitone into Heat. The comp distorts to much in my ears (and maybe xtra with Heat last in chain). Any advice? Maybe have Rytm first in chain or other more subtle settings?

1 Like

Transparent & General VST comp plugins ie nearly all digital plugin comps.

These things work fine for organic music (real instruments) which require a means of dynamic control but for electronic music the same principles ā€˜Do Not Applyā€™

The mistake many make is the assumption compression techniques are the same for a guitar/vocal as it would be for a Synth/Drum Machine and hence why we get a lot of confusion around the subject in electronica lands. We donā€™t need dynamic control for our electronic machines. What youā€™re really looking for is vibe and that should dictate which compressor to use.

There are many other transparent vibe less comps out there in plugin land which really suck major donkey for electronic music. For example Abletons Glue is abysmal for electronic music as is their standard compressor as is Cubaseā€™s, Pro Tools etc etc. ALl their built in comps are way to transparent, safe, and vibe-less - yet so many people use them on their electronic music applying compression bcz they think they need to. What they end up achieveing is mostly placebo - a bit of a volume change. Abletons Drum Buss plugin is a step in the right direction although its more than a comp. Empirical Labs Arouser is the best vibey comp I have ever used for electronic music. Itā€™s not quite as good as the hardware Distressor but its a big step in the right direction. All those SSL 2 Buss emulations and ā€˜We made XXXX Comp pristine and transparentā€™ - forget them all. Elektrons built in comp (AR) is pretty good and it has vibe. But the gain structure of the thing is an absolute mess making it a rather tricky one to use effectively.

A compressor in electronic music isnā€™t about dynamic control. Its an Eq, a sound sculptor, a pump action magical fairy dust sprinkler.

Forget the so called ā€˜standardā€™ 3db max gain reduction. Stuff like that is internet forum legend - a bit like the nonsense spewed around the interweb like ā€˜Never boost EQā€™. In the real world, in real studios going back decades comps were used and abused for smashing that vocal or drums or mix to smithereens not just for the dynamic control (Bonus) it was much more about the vibe, the magical fairy dust. To much mystery about compression without much discussion of the fundamental reason for it I think has caused a lot of mystery around the subject. My suggestion is to seek out compressors (preferably hardware) which are all about vibe. A real LA 2A is not what you want, but one of those Elysia boxes might be be. Or even an old Alesis 3630 (yes seriously) or if your flush go for a couple of distressors. Choice is limited in VST land because I would assume they want to make compressors multi purpose, multi genre to hit sales targets. (ie not vibey and sound changing).

I know people reading will disagree with me and thatā€™s fine. I just had to say my peace :tunga:

9 Likes

there is nothing to add

i guess the 3db-thing is coming from the mastering-world

in this case, less is more

what i always do is to level up the gain into the compressor as good as possible, use threshold with care ā€¦ i got the impression the threshold is not working linear but i could be wrong ā€¦ take a mild ratio and not so fast attack and release ā€¦ and mix it half in

if you are running for transients for snare or the basedrum use a short attack , ratio to the max like a limiter and mix the compressor in at about 25%

another option for the comp is setting a trig on 1, 5, 9 and 11 and let roll in the comp-mix with a sine or tri-lfo with a moderate tempo, set half cycle ā€¦ you will get a nice pumping

orā€¦ get an Elysia Xpressor

1 Like

There are many many tutorials on general compression even within just one genre, but the main question is - what is it you want to compress, what is your tool and what is expected result? Most compression mistakes come from ā€œI MUST compressā€ attitude and wrong use of the tools. Choose your compressor based on the task you want it to perform. For instance, it is not the best idea to use Tube Compressor on something you need super fast attack on - thats FET for instance.
Before you start using AR compressor, you should get to know what compression is, what it does and how. And after that, you can approach this compressor which has many extra features compared to bare bones compressor and do lots of things with it.
Also, as with any processor, you learn to compress over time and with trial and error - but believe me that learning compression and eq are two most crucial skills in the audio production/engineering.

4 Likes

Merci pour tous ces conseils :heart: