The "boss bass" preset

Hi guys!
Wondering where the “boss bass” preset, featured in the interactive demo was…
I’ve been hyped with this sound since i ordered my digitone, and now I can’t find it within the factory presets.

I tried to replicate it, but i’m not good enough in FM synthesis, and, even if i get some similar tones, is far from this beauty…!

do not own a DT nor I know the machine. Though I believe it has the same browsing function as the “last” machines since A4.
Have you tried searching it with the “Search” page in the Sound Browser? (pag.58 of the manual)
You should perform this action for every Sound Bank (if they’re not under the same page). In A4 every step trig corresponds to Bank A to P, so I would select Bank A, perform Search function and if no results I’d go to next Bank and so on.
If its in the +Drive you should find it

yes, i tried with search function, i tried manually scrolling… i scrolled each preset marked as “bass”… isn’t there :frowning:

Is there any indication that the sounds in the “interactive demo” were actual Digitone samples?

well, should be obvious…
And i can’t see why not putting such a good preset in the stock rom…

If someone can replicate it, would be awesome!

…sure 'bout the preset name…?
could be changed…

because i can find lots of bass’ boss beauties on the +drive of the dtone…have a closer look/listen…one of those presets is your missing boss for sure…
and aslong you don’t try to drive it with the dtones internal arp, it even won’t click or pop…just buzzing beauty…

I scrolled more or less all the “bass” tagged sounds. Some ar a bit similar, but not him!
Would you suggest the closest match you found?

Hmm…

So, the noisy nature comes from a high feedback amount, try above 80 and higher if needed.
It sounds a bit squared, so I would go with a ratio of 2 on Operator A.

Operator A envelope is likely unchanged (e.g fully open), and the level is perhaps around 15-30 so that there is still tonal content in the timbre, but still noisy.

Operators B probably have at least one odd ratio - and before the fade we don’t hear any clearly layered sinewave (due to the equal mix of x&y) on top (e.g if B1 would be at 5, 9 …), so I’m assuming it’s at 2 or 1, and the second B is 9 or similar. Set the B envelope to a long attack and there you go.

I first thought that there was some detune applied due to the drifting in the noisy timbre, but I’m suspecting that it’s an LFO actually. Can’t hear much drifting in the B operators, so… Perhaps it’s not multi sampled? The drifting is affected by the pitch is what I’m getting at.

Just going off what I’m hearing, haven’t tried this on a unit, but it’ll probably get you close.

4 Likes

thank you Simon! Going to try replicating it tommorrow for sure :grinning: