The BITWIG Thread

The Bitwig THREAD

Here we discuss about BITWIG and its evolution, how to use Bitwig with Elektron machines, Overbridge and… sharing our dedicated Tips & Tricks

Bitwig Studio 4

New Convolution Reverb in Bitwig 4.3

New Delay+ in Bitwig 4.3

Comping in Bitwig Studio 4

Since the invention of studio recording, our task has been to create the perfect performance. Comping allows you to combine the best parts of many takes, and Bitwig Studio provides this and more.

Operators in Bitwig Studio 4

Modulation has always been a centerpiece of Bitwig Studio. Modulators have been there all along, putting device parameters into motion. And now with Operators , sequenced note and audio events can become electric too. This leads to clips that go to different possibilities and timelines, either by programming, by performance control, or by destiny.

Other features introduced by Version 3.0

The Grid is an open modular environment that powers a family of new devices in Bitwig Studio 3: Mono Grid , Poly Grid and FX Grid . With a vast library of modules and a supersonic workflow, you’ll be creating your own unique sounds immediately, and in high-fidelity. Simply add a Grid device to your project and start patching. It’s fun.

The Grid includes:

• Fully-modular sound design
  • Fantastic sound quality
  • 120+ modules
  • Any signal, anywhere
  • Lighting-fast workflow
  • 4x-oversampled, stereo signal path

v2.5 Few select features that were either requested or inspired by our community

Version 2.4 with Overhauled Sampler

(with granular and wavetable techniques)

Version 2.3 comes with Zplane Elastique algo and Phase-4 Synth

It’s with great pleasure that we introduce Bitwig Studio 2.3 to the world. With our biggest point update yet we deliver a number of features much requested by the community, alongside hot new things, profoundly expanding the sound design possibilities in Bitwig Studio.

Phase-4, a massive new phase manipulation synthesizer, time signature changes, voice stacking capabilities, and gloriously expanded views for seven devices.

Additionally, with Bitwig Studio 2.3, we introduce major improvements in time-stretching, including industry-leading Elastique algorithms from zplane.

We top things off with two new selector devices, a new modulator, a multitude of improvements, and a sound content update involving renowned sound designers. Scroll down for further details.

8 Likes

Every Additions to the Version 2.3 here :
https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_3

• EXPANDED DEVICE VIEW : Some devices simply deserve more space.
  • TIME SIGNATURE CHANGES : It’s about time…
  • NEW AND IMPROVED TIME-STRETCHING : New & Improved Algorithms to Cover Your Needs
  • INSTRUMENT & EFFECT SELECTOR : Simple Yet Effective New Devices
  • VOICE STACKING : Your Gateway to Incredible Sound Design Possibilities
  • NEW MODULATOR: VOICE STACK : Detailed Voice Stack Control
  • SOUND CONTENT UPDATE : New Factory Presets Galore

I think that’s very cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks cool.

If Bitwig ever implements instrument racks, where I can select chains with devices using Clips automation (like in Ableton Live), I will purchase license.

1 Like

Best Midi keyboards and controller for BITWIG :

First choice :

http://www.nektartech.com/panorama-p4-p6.html

Second choice :
Because Bitwig support Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression or MPE

https://roli.com/products/seaboard/rise-25

Third choice :

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/

4 Likes

What i like the most in Bitwig is how it handle Clip and Session without interrupting each other… i really like modulators… That’s a very good addition ! (coming from Ableton Live + Max : not the same but still it a very good addition for certain things)

Coming from Cubase/Logic also i prefer the Bitwig classic session space for track construction.

Definitively love its ability to run each VST in its own process without ever crashing the session.

And it’s bring more stability. When i make the Overbridge Template it was clear to me that feature have a role in the way i perceive the Bitwig + OB experience.

Love also that Big Meters when mixing a session it’s damn good :slight_smile: without to mention Multi-Screen support …

Hardware Integration is to me very nice with Bitwig.
MPE Support also…

Per note automation is very cool i hope that’s something to develop more with third parties VST.

My favorite DAW at the moment is Bitwig 2.2.3 (Soon 2.3) and Propellerhead Reason 10 (Because it’s in my heart since the beginning oh Rebirth when i was young… yeah…)

1 Like

Soon you will find here the BITWIG Template for Overbridge when the New OB is available…

INSTRUMENT & EFFECT SELECTOR devices now allow switching between instrs/fx. Check out the demo when it drops :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do :slight_smile:

I absolutely love bitwig… its an awesome platform for weirdness…

2 Likes

I wonder if anyone here run Bitwig on Microsoft Surface Pro devices. How good it works with touch interface? Is everything easily accessible?

1 Like

You should reach This guy he’s very kind and have a great experience now with Bitwig + Surface

1 Like

2.3 looks like another great update. Timestretching was one of my big bugbears with it so nice to see it addressed. Bitwig really is turning in to a powerhouse creative environment!

1 Like

Haven’t been into making music with software in the past few years, but prior to that I was heavy into Ableton and M4L.
I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting bitwig instead of upgrading to Live 10.
@William_WiLD Thanks for making the thread.

4 Likes

Bitwig Studio Is Daw Of The Year 2017

Computer Music
December 7, 2017

“The second full version is an absolute belter, adding a wealth of enhancements and tweaks, and introducing a new modulation architecture that’s sure to be copied by other DAW developers in the future.”

We’re delighted to share the news: Bitwig Studio 2 has been named DAW of the Year 2017 by Computer Music magazine.

Released back in 2014, Bitwig Studio was the first music production software to combine linear and non-linear sequencing on Windows, macOS, and Linux. With technologies like plug-in crash protection and a highly flexible user interface, alongside a lightning-fast workflow experience for keyboard, mouse, and touch screens, Bitwig Studio has attracted a large and steadily growing user base all over the world.

From the beginning, the idea of modularity has been central to Bitwig Studio. While digital audio workstations (DAWs) aren’t known for taking a modular approach, creating Bitwig Studio from the ground up allowed us to rethink previous assumptions. This led us to focus not just on individual devices but on strengthening the ways they interact with and support one another, which ultimately led us to the new modulation system and Modulators we introduced in Bitwig Studio 2.

Bitwig Studio 2 also offers a number of ways to integrate with other hardware and software technology: MIDI, MIDI clock master/slave, MTC, CV & Gate, hardware audio clock, and Ableton Link.

…and so much more.

Good BITWIG Tutorials

By Olav Basoski

https://www.askvideo.com/course/bitwig-studio-102-effects-and-processing-explored

https://www.askvideo.com/course/bitwig-studio-103-instruments-and-midi-explored

By Thavius Beck

https://www.askvideo.com/course/bitwig-studio-2-201-the-modulators-explored

https://www.askvideo.com/course/bitwig-studio-2-301-exploring-cvs-and-midi

1 Like

While waiting for Overbridge i tested MIDI Slave from hardware with Bitwig and my tests including a recording of all the separate outputs + the stereo master are really good

Metronome are exactly like in the video on top of each other meaning that you can work on both the computer and an Elektron Device … Now Recording from my BEHRINGER X18 at 16Bits-48000hZ with Buffer 32 are really close there’s a bit of delay you really have to zoom in highly to see there’s something.

You have a direct button in the tool bar to activate MIDI Slave or deactivate (that’s cool too) when activated Tempo and Transport can be controlled by the Elektron Device. Sometimes you can perceive a little glitch… just double click on stop on Elektron device and relaunch. it’s happening but not that much.

2 Likes

You mean at the moment you cannot automate VST plugin parameters?

Meaning if you play chord you can’t make per note automation with a third party plugin :slight_smile:

cp_545_05_Per_Note_Timbre_Editing

Can you not add the automation on a separate clip in that case?

I tried it on a Surface Pro 3 and I did not like using Bitwig with its touch interface on that. I think you can get used to it if you really want to, but don’t expect the same experience as with a good iPad app.