The BITWIG Thread

For what it’s worth whenever I email them directly with feature requests and other input they always reply, sometimes the same day.

They don’t give anything away about future plans (and they’re smart not to) but they always politely acknowledge my email and thank me for the feedback.

1 Like

Same experience here, except when I let them know that their Chebychev device in the Grid clicks on every trigger. I even sent them some examples and asked if I was misunderstanding the device but no response even after following up a few times. Other times, tho, quick responses all round.

yes, they reply to me too (although I don’t think that means that much when it comes to feature requests tbh). Anyway, I don’t think the forum is about them not replying though.
As I’m taking it it’s about developing some ideas between users to share with them, hoping that at some point some dev might start checking that out as well.
It’s a newborn thing so I don’t think anything was sent out yet.

Every year I consider buying bitwig in the sale
Every year I think ‘it’s still a bit too expensive ‘
And I stick with ableton as I’ve already spent a similar amount on it.

This year is probably going to be the same.

1 Like

I really like Bitwig a lot. It’s really quick, doesn’t crash, and makes using and incorporating VSTs a breeze. The modulator options, and of course The Grid, are simply awesome.
However
My God is the arranger window frustrating. Ableton runs laps around it. I spent a frustratingly long amount of time simply trying to warp some recorded audio, and other adjustments. Maybe it’s me, but the Arranger window should be the next overhaul. They get that cleaned up and it would become very close to being my primary DAW, replacing my beloved Ableton.

Hi everyone,

Linking to a question that I have that is Bitwig related: Bitwig with Digitakt & Digitone - #6 by Gino

Any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Currently finishing the first full-featured track in Bitwig (before that only played with the session view loops). Now I see couple of strange omissions/shortcomings from a point of view of devoted Reaper user:

• no track freeze (can be fixed to some extent with “bounce” + grouping)
  • no stems export (there is also a workaround, but would be painful for a large project)

Also Reaper spoils a bit with the flexibility of envelopes. In Bitwig they are not bad at all but feel more rigid and, for example, volume feels like it has different range.

Not complaining, but curious why it is missing and if anybody thinks the same.

1 Like

I agree. But Reaper does have an exceptional range of freeze/render/export options, I think it’s more the outlier than Bitwig.

I’m on Bitwig 4.0.7 and I have stems export ability here. I go to File -> Export Audio and I can select which tracks to export etc. I just did a quick dummy test and it worked fine, I got individual tracks and the master exported as WAV files.

Is there some other functionality that you’re after or do you have an older version that is missing this feature?

Oops, my bad. It was there all the time

1 Like

Ok, found a little bit different issue. In arranger view I put some long repeating clip and decided to bounce it to save CPU a bit. To my surprise there is no way now to “unbounce” the resulting audio.

From internets I got the explanation that there are two options, which are named similarly but have quite differrent effect: “Bounce in place” renders the midi clip and the first device in chain, while just “Bounce” renders all the effects and disables them. Common advice would be double the track to save the midi data intact.

It’s ok maybe, but needs to get accustomed to. I am thinking about exporting to Reaper the resulting tracks for more flexible control over the mix. However I like the EQ plugins in Bitwig more. They look and sound a bit nicier.

Audio quantize/better warp options.

Something similar to capture from Ableton would be a nice addition.

A more modular approach to multi screen options - like choose which blocks go where, on what screen.

Ability to enable/use sends on return tracks.

Independent Bus tracks (i.e. not positionally tied to the channels routed to them).

Ability to rearrange inputs and outputs via drag and drop in the audio settings

Decent midi filters.

Better controller support - I use driven by Moss, but why isn’t something even half this good included?

1 Like

Would like to see a lighter color GUI option. I find it hard working in black all the time

1 Like

Woohoo!

Download speed is quite… slow :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Great stuff! Orchestral Tools make some of the best sample-based instruments out there, they’re super high quality usually (I have their Tableau Strings and a few others and love them). Looking forward to trying these.

3 Likes

…ooook…stupid question…

but I just seem to find no answer to THIS…

how to delete audio permanently in Bitwig…???

as much as I love all audio handling in Bitwig, I struggle to make sure what to keep of my recorded parts aaaand what not…

what’s the procedure to make sure THIS recorded pieces are what I like to keep…and THOSE recorded pieces can NOW, after comping, selecting, once edited, GO/vanish forever, instead of piling up on my hard drive…?

any solutions/answers…?

I only had time for a quick search in between doing some takes, but does this 2014 (!!!) thread help?

3 Likes

…yup…thanx a lot…hmmmmm…now I only have to find that checkbox in the browser… :wink:

but good to know it is there somewhere…

…one more hmmmmmmm…maybe I’m blind…
but…

where’s that “project” button in that “browser” and this omnious thrid icon this kvr thread is referring to…?

dashboard is no browser…that much terminology is clear…
aaaand how to adress “the” browser in a standard “save as” process…?

feel really fad old dumbo on this while all thumbs up on Bitwig all that time…

and damn…this daw needs it’s own dedicated official forum, finally…
this kvr substitute is by no means a final solution…
bitwig really needs it’s own knowledge database…beyond all this tutorial vids, all over the place, containing all kinds of various quality…
got soooo many tips and trix at hand already, while lacking way too many basic essentials still…hmmmpf.