The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

I missed this along the way – Behringer put out this video, a little over a year ago, of them restoring a Yamaha DX1. The DX1 is from 1983 to 85 and has two of the same DX7 chipsets for synthesis. It’s quite rare and originally cost 14 grand.! The DX1 that Behringer acquired also came from Tears For Fears, and it took a lot of repair to get it running again.

I also didn’t know what a nice user interface this synth has. Quite astounding the effort that Yamaha took back in the early 1980s to lay the controls right there in front of you – like having the various op algorithms interactively displayed on a pyramid of seven segment LED displays. This makes the notorious FM patch creation far easier to do. Take a look at this excellent video from Cuckoo where he puts together a DX1 patch from scratch – no manual – he just sits down at this synth that he’s never used and makes a patch! This video is just out.

I don’t know if Behringer is signalling that they are really going to be doing their own DX1, as was hinted about up thread. Now knowing a little more about it, i kind of consider the DX1 as being in a position similar in a way to the Arp 2600, only for FM synthesis. If Behringer does do a DX1 kind of thing count me in.

I’m guessing to do this right, or at least one way, would be to recreate something that resembles the original Yamaha DX chips, specifically the YM21280 – something that Behringer is entirely capable of doing. (Alternatively is to do the YM21280 chip is to do it in software simulation.) Once Behringer did that, there is an awful lot of territory available for them to explore.

2 Likes

Incoming => Behringer Monster Synth

This image comes from Behringer’s FB Page.

Suggested possibilities range.
UB-Xa, Jupiter 8, DX1, Synclavier, JD800, Andromeda 6, MemoryMoog, PPG Wave 2.3.
And perhaps it’s a completely original product.

Is it digital, or is it analog? My guess is they will fill in more detail soon – Superbooth Virtual time is fast approaching.

You can read more at gearnews.

ADDED: From looking closely ar the underside of the user interface board, i’d say it looks a lot like the PPG Wave.

What do you think?

What would you like?

I’m bumping this thread cause who doesn’t love to wake up for fakenews :crazy_face::partying_face::speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Good things are worth the wait. I still am expecting their 2600 too. Thats OK as long as they do things right.

1 Like

Yeah saw that yesterday. Having owned their Dj mixers and other cheap stuff, I never thought Id be so excited for a Behringer product.

2 Likes

since this seems to be the de facto thread to discuss behringer, er…“issues” here’s something i was thinking about the other day

what percentage of their market do you think would not have bought moog (for example) anyway? what I mean by this is let’s say someone was thinking of getting a Moog minitaur or sirin or whatever, but they didn’t want to spend the money and considered it out of their price range. then the Behringer Model D comes along and hey, now they can have that sound for half the price.

similarly, how many people do you think would buy that Sirin/minitaur, they see Behringer, but they don’t care–they’re still buying that Moog.

i have a feeling that Behringer isn’t so much eating into old markets as they are carving out a new niche. I would even hazard to guess that new niche causes people to want the “real deal” so to speak. this is setting aside the super obvious stuff like…the kind of people who would pay $4000 for an actual Moog Model D are few and far between, and Behringer is doing synth enthusiasts a solid by making something like that more widely available. maybe a more apt comparison is the Mother 32 vs the Crave since I think they’re the exact same thing. but something tells me very, very few people think “Hey I’d like to buy the Moog! Oh wait, Behringer has it cheaper? I’ll just go Behringer”

2 Likes

I think its mostly like guitars. Every guitarist i know never hesitated to buy more expensive brands like Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker etc even if you can find good copies that are way cheaper than the real thing.

2 Likes

My $100 fender acoustic sounded and played as good as my bottom line $600 Martin. Of course the fenders bridge ripped off 15 years later and the Martin is still wonderful.

…do you know of a rickenbacker knockoff that’s just as good?

Cause I’m all ears man lol. A Rick bass is my dream bass but dropping $2200 on one is just insane to me

So it’s been a year and a month since Hiroaki Nishijima started working for Behringer, reportedly to lead, with others, their push into original ‘flagship’ electronic music gear. This is a relatively short amount of time for this sort of a product, but no doubt they are some way along. I’ve not heard anything specific yet, but look forward to something new sometime soonish. Good to think this might be a family of products.

2 Likes

SynthAnatomy reports about a tease from Behringer for a two voice synth with built in sequencer, which they think reminiscent of an old Oberhein synth from 1975. It looks like this maybe a looser interpretation, rather than an outright clone per se, although there is definitely some resemblance to the Oberheim Two-Voice.

Behringer RS-9 Eurorack Drum Machine

This is only a concept at the moment. It’s intended as a Eurorack version of the RD-9. It’s too soon to know for sure but the idea is to sell this for $150.

You can read more in this article in SynthAnatomy.

Could someone please bump this thread i’ve hit my three post limit.

2 Likes

Sure, bumped!

1 Like

This is highly speculative, it’s only a concept (a well thought out one) and it was submitted to Behringer and doesn’t originate from them, though Behringer has responded positively to the concept.

The creator describes it as a morphing analog polysynth. They call it the Positron 16. While it’s rather much a full boat design — it has basically everything — i think it sets a nice direction for an original design Behringer flagship.

Read more about it here:
Heinakroon — Positron 16

2 Likes
2 Likes

Behringer to unveil a new product in 4 days.

BRAINS !?

Do you know what this is ?

Hardware ? Software ?

My guess it’s their new FREE DAW.

Or a groove box?

1 Like

My money is on this being the rumoured Behringer Jam.

oh good. i can never get enough condiments

I cant read BRAINS in capitals without hearing it in a zombie voice.

7 Likes