The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

Or a groove box?

1 Like

My money is on this being the rumoured Behringer Jam.

oh good. i can never get enough condiments

I cant read BRAINS in capitals without hearing it in a zombie voice.

7 Likes

Those waveforms look like fm, maybe a cycles clone?

Yeah, I think too on this way. The countdown sounds like a Vowel and speech synthesis model from Plaits, and the main lead sounds like a Waveshaping oscillator model.
In other hand, I found so much similitudes on the icons appear in video with the Plaits model’s icons.

Anyway, I hope a new product, even if it’s based on Plaits, more than another clone of eurorack Plaits or microfreak clon… :confused:

1 Like

Behringer DS-80

Behringer put out a Facebook post about the work they are making to copy the CS-80, work done by John Price an engineer with specialization in analog audio electronics at Midas.

It’s worth reading the original Facebook post.

2 Likes

I just discovered this:

Music Tribe has applied for the trademark POLYTOUCH in February of this year. Medeli has the same trademark, from May of 2020. The Medeli Keybed PolyTouch is used by their subsidiary ASM in their Poly-Aftertouch Hydrasynth Keyboard.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

It would be a very strong move if Behringer really does develop their own Poly-Aftertouch Keybed.

Behringer posted a prototype picture a long time ago for an poly aftertouch keybed. Been looking forward to atleast 5 octave poly aftertouch keyboard. I make do with the Hydrasynth, but it was really nice to have 76 keys on the Roland A50 keyboard i have.

You’re right thomaso – this is from August 2019:

ADDED: Worth noting this was all a month before ASM announced their HS.

Polivoks with approval of creator

3 Likes

This makes me very happy.

Very happy indeed.

2 Likes

The pulse is picking up. They’re using the hinged format again, which i like. The article includes a video with the original Roland SH-5, so you can get an idea of the sound, if you’re not already familiar with it. Quite a distinctive sound.

ADDED: From this thread, The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread - #324 by Gint – Gint found a video about the SH-5, that Behringer showed in their “Heritage Synth Collection”. That was two and a half years ago. My comment after it was wrong, wrong, wrong ! Any other synths in their collection that haven’t been announced ? They had another video on restoring a Linn Drum, which has already been teased as product now too.

ADDED : It has been said that Bob Keeble of AMSynth is doing the design of this, which means it will be really well done. He also did the 2600, and 2500 Eurorack modules.

3 Likes

It’s gone quiet on the Solina front. I thought that might have been out by now.

2 Likes

… though not completely cold. They did make the detailed video on the internals, and the challenge with recreation of the Solina just five months back. I posted that. (Adam is good in that video.)

Perhaps there’s some issue with getting the volume of the repeated parts, or they decided to change the limitations they duplicated from the original.

Yeah I watched that at the time. Yeah, maybe it’s a parts supply issue?

The other one that has been talked about for a long time in this thread, that has some real excitement behind it is the SYNTHI VCX3. You might suppose 2600 sort of pricing with that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more word on that not to long from now.

ADDED: E’nauts thread for this.

2 Likes

I absolutely love the SH5. not just the sound but the looks. and to me, there’s something very ugly about this clone. I can’t put my finger on it, it’s just hideous to me. maybe it’s just me liking the original so much and seeing it in my studio for so long… I mean it does looks pretty damn close, and all they did was shorten it to three octaves and bring the BPF underneath the mixer. but it just looks wrong to me now, I guess :man_shrugging:

anyway, it’s cool they’re making it. not something I would call an “iconic” synth but I guess they’re kind of past that and on to higher hanging fruit now. I will say the standout to me is what they didn’t include: modulation for the band pass filter. this is the absolute number one complaint of anyone whose ever played an SH5. the BPF is the star of the show here and it’s a shame Roland didn’t provide a modulation option, and absolutely insane that B didn’t either. the only other thing I’d like to see would be a switch for linear or exponential envelopes. the original’s are linear, so slow and not good for fast or percussive sounds. and you’d want these included, for sure. but it’d be great to have the exponential ones as well.

really, this is always my biggest complaint about B. they don’t take old synths and make better versions, they just clone them. but anyway… it’s cool more people will be able to experience the SH5 sound now!

5 Likes

I guess if there’s enough interest for those mods they may make it to the final model? They have been known to listen to that sort of feedback. It would be cool to see more of that sort of thing - improvements over the originals.

1 Like

yeah, I’d say at the very least, add patch points to the top/back to allow modulation of the BPF. that’d be non-intrusive to the look and should be pretty straightforward from a circuit and production standpoint.

1 Like