The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

Are Avatars essentially Odysseys with audio to cv inputs ? I’m not too familiar with the differences

1 Like

let’s get the discussion ball rolling with

it might need a hex input then :wink:

1 Like

https://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/avatar.php

most notably: “The Avatar makes a great and more affordable way to get Odyssey sounds.”

BUT this has 1/8" jacks for all the sliders and each modules’ output. like it’s between the Odyssey and the 2600…

this wasn’t unheard of, by the way. for people to mod their Avatars into mini 2600’s. not sure if it was because they were cheaper so you cried less modding it, or if it’s because the internal construction made it easier (such mods to the Odyssey did happen, but were uncommon).

edit: what I was thinking of was that someone produced a patchbay expansion kit for it:

From what i’ve gathered the Avatar did find a lot of “off label” uses. It was, and still is, rather an odd duck, and is quite rare. I hope Behringer siezes on this and accentuates the odd usage angles of this, and includes some of the better mods.

Also as i posted earlier i hope Behringer uses this as chance to do a reasonably price good hex output guitar.

ADDED : The original took the 6 inputs, and measured the signal strength of them all, and then picked the “strongest” to send off to a pitch to CV conversion unit. That in itself is a useful bit of technology. ARP spent a fortune in the day to develop this, or is the verb “lost” instead, as they sold so few, and it was their final released product.

I’ve got to say, if Behringer is so obstinate, and insists on only doing enhanced “copies”, pulling out uncommon but interesting historic machines and doing good things with them, meets my favor.

We have not actually heard any of the last three ( except in our imaginations ), so hopefully they sound good. They all have a certain interesting quality though.

1 Like

New stuff please not enhanced stuff.

1 Like

They added a little to the sh101 clone but also missed a few things. It’s still very usable though

But some synth clones seem to have nailed it.
I’d buy more if I thought I’d use them.

oh yeah didn’t they mess up the glide? one of the most distinctive features of the SH-101.

1 Like

Two minute JT-4000 Micro demo --$49

1 Like

wtf :rofl::hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Why is this on Modular Grid? Is it even gonna happen? Meh! I’d be all over this if they did the RD-9 in modules too :+1:

600x331_30555

2 Likes

Nice isn’t it.

Does Modular Grid make it official ? I did post about it in this thread, in November 2020, but it was only an idea back then.

Behringer seems to be going even further into Eurorack.

1 Like

Nah! It just has this about it mate.

RS-9

It looks amazing @Jukka but I wish they wouldn’t put things on websites that don’t even exist lol… pisses me right off that. However I’d love Behringer to release it and make modules from their RD-9… they’d sell shitloads :+1:

1 Like

So i just ran across this. Behringer snuck into SynthFest France a week or so back, and showed a real version of their Bi-Phase pedal.

Here’s the article from AudioFanzine in French, go down toward the bottom :

I can’t read French well, and the google translate sucks. Can’t tell if it was Uli himself at the show, or a company rep. The report said they heard the Bi-Phase live and that it sounded very good. When to expect this, who knows, but i am guessing this could be coming along sooner.

Funny how i haven’t seen a report of this anywhere else.

Oh and there is this if you want a massive photo.

2 Likes

Behringer wasnt there, but the pedal was on the stand of “Nico­las Frau­det, alias Gouji”.

2 Likes

Never trust Google Translate:

French original :
Behrin­ger s’était bien invo­lon­tai­re­ment invité au Synth­fest sur le stand de l’ami Nico­las Frau­det, alias Gouji.

English translation :
Behringer had involuntarily invited himself to Synthfest on the stand of friend Nicolas Fraudet, alias Gouji.

I saw someone had one in a guitar pedal group I’m in. I’m not sure if it’s true, but someone was saying that Mutron hit them with a legal claim and they are having to change the look a bit and maybe the name for the second run of them. A few seem to have made their way into the wild, but supposedly it sounds good.

Anyone mentioned this yet? I just opened ModularGrid to do some rack rearranging on my lunch break and saw it at the top of New modules. Obviously still very “in-progress” but interesting nonetheless. https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/04/behringer-enigma-a-399-buchla-easel-208-synthesizer-clone-replica-for-eurorack.html

10 Likes

Cheekily sat atop a Korg PE :+1:

1 Like

Oh man, this is the first Behringer clone I’m really interested in myself… been on a Buchla research/listening kick and in fact wondering recently if there was any chance a cheap Easel clone would ever be released… and voila—

I myself hope that they follow through on this, and that the ergonomics won’t be too different from the original (as that seems to me to be quite as important an element of Buchla’s genius as the sound)

3 Likes