The Behringer era

This is pretty lazy and immature – it’s a quick little immature phrase to sound enlightened – it’s not different than putting a cloth patch on your leather jacket that says “Anarachy in the UK”

I am not a fan of capitalism (an understatement), but this is just a quick little quip to lay down your arms as a superficially enlightened sloth.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better for all involved to dispense with the insults and share some wisdom then?

2 Likes

I usually totally agree with your moderation Peter, but it is true that a lot of the SMDs and other parts are from Japan, Korea or China. Not a bad thing at all, because they do build them in good quality for a reasonable price.

Only the sound of @Mike_Synct 's statement bugs, not the statement itself.
I wonder where it was stated that elektron does build them themselfes. But what they build off them is what matters, and they do not have the labour done by cheap asian workers in bad factories.
That makes the difference imho.

I don’t think he was moderating because of mike-synct’s post. We derailed the topic way before that.

3 Likes

Oh, did not follow every post though. Thanks for clearing.

2 Likes

I am not referring to the build quality (i had some bad experience with crappy motor faders, and so on), and i‘m not referring to the „early years“. I‘m mainly asking in regards oft sound quality, noise, ad/da conversion.
Because they produce a lot of very cheap stuff with tons of features… for a fraction of the price of the devices they‘re kinda „copying“.
Just take some mixers for example or the U-PHORIA UMC404H interface with all it‘s ins/outs/inserts… for freaking 90 bucks!

I always avoided Behringer for different reasons… real „fear“ of buying crap and all the prejudice of the „pros“. But when it comes to choose between 100 and 800 bucks for the same features… well… :wink:

To answer your original question, IMO: yes.

2 Likes

Thnx for the interesting link!

I wish people would stop kidding themselves that all gear is not built on the backs of cheap labour. Regardless of whether it is Behringer or someone like Moog, the raw materials, components and boards are coming from low-wage countries and crappy conditions. Paying some “worker-owner” to assemble your product and then slapping a “Made In Not A Poor Country” badge on it doesn’t make it suddenly OK.

9 Likes

I have very few Behringer units, it’s a difficult exercise.

In general. Humanity is still not ready for big brave changes, unfortunately. I guess a united earth :earth_asia: is only possible with a common threat. So this means: :alien:

1 Like

It makes it okayer.

2 Likes

Not entirely true. Moog stuff is handmade in the US for instance. Elektron stuff is made in Sweden. Sure, raw materials for everything are mined and processed and the underlying components (circuit boards, epoxies, etc.) are pretty equally awful from a human rights perspective. But the actual manufacturing of the product can be done in a humane way at fair wages, and many companies strive to do precisely this. Some cough like the one we’re talking about here cough don’t.

edit: Also, these companies strive to source as many raw materials from less-shitty places than the others. That can make a huge difference to both the human and environmental effects and the price. These nuances matter.

1 Like

No.

Finally assembly is the smallest part of the puzzle though, Elektron/Moog (and pretty much anyone else) are not making ICs, passive components or mechanical parts. Where do you think they come from? Even US based chip/component fabs are using factories in the far east.

1 Like

Hopefully, we can start producing our own ICs, circuit boards and electronics in the USA. Perhaps the China Tariffs pushed by Trump may convince smart American electronics engineers and producers to do this. There are no low cost machines like the Voltera.io that let you do a lot of this work much easier at lower cost than was possible years ago. I am no electronics engineer but want to learn this craft and it means a lot of school and training but would be fun challenge

1 Like

I guess this is a touchy topic for some people and it gets all political and weird but I got a deepmind 12 for 600 bucks and there is no other brand that I can get a 12 voice analog synth anywhere close to that price point

And I love my deepmind. Very flexible. You can stack voices to get really thick mono synth type stuff but also get really crazy pads and like sci fli blips and blood.

And I’m hyped on their 808 remake. I think a big problem with music gear in general is that it’s too expensive and isn’t so inclusive. Not too many of my peers/homies can afford to spend 1k+ on a synth so I’m all for it.

They can be a shitty company morally but there’s plentyyyyy of shitty companies I’m sure people support here who would talk down on Behringer.
We live in a capitalist world.

All in all, I’m all for gear being accessible. Equal opportunity. And I love Behringer and their price points <3

3 Likes

Agree and aside from the political issues, music gear is way too expensive for most people. Affordable quality music gear would benefit the masses. I am hoping that we can get more affordable Eurorack modular gear in the future as not everyone has 20k lying around to build a drum and synth modular setup.

1 Like

On a side note I started a decent little eurorack for under a grand that although lacking a lot is very much a necfessary part of my workflow.

So far, the only thing i had from Behringer were the Ultralink Pro’s. They used to be perfect “all in/whereever i want out” Audio Mixers and Routers. Had a couple of them in the Rack stacked up - they worked as intended. But then came the Crosstalk! Channels right beneath each other had these issues all the time. But this wasnt the biggest issue - the ground Noise coming from the built in power supplies was intense like hell. And it all summed up to a point there one wasnt able to use these things anymore.

So i returned them. This was my first “give Behringer a shot” moment - and most likely my last! Till date. Deepmind and the like havent changed my opinion about this company. I rather spend much more to get much more! ESPECIALLY in terms of quality!

I have recently bought 2 bits of Behringer gear. UMC404 HD 4/4 interface. It’s actually pretty simple (doesn’t have midi for example). Works well in the way intended but a bit prone to picking up computer interference (plenty about that on Behringer forums). I cured many of my noises by disabling my wireless internet connection while I’m using it otherwise does its job and is solidly built.

Also just bought a Neutron and can’t say enough good things about it. It seems well built. Has no wobbly knobs and is just so much fun with its extensive patching abilities. Amazing value at under £300.

I’m only interested in the product and what it can do for me, not the politics. I have premium (Moog) and bargain (Behringer). If it does its job, that’s good enough for me.

1 Like