The Behringer era

6 Likes

Mass production in China, selling tons of it.

Then again, recent Roland synths are also made in China and they are way more expensive while not even being analog.

I think instrument industry has long been making huge profit margins on their products. Hopefully Behringer forces others to lower their prices too.

1 Like

Well - you would be surprised what such a box actually costs in production.
But you pay aswell engineering, design, brand, status symbol.
I guess even Behringer makes huge profit :wink:

I think an awful lot of stuff is made over there. I read that Moog PCB’s are made in China then shipped to Asheville for final synth assembly. Wouldn’t be surprised if DSI aren’t doing the same thing.

2 Likes

What makes you say this?

Usually high margins come when a market it monopolised. Electronic musical instruments/equipment appears quite a competitive market, with many small competitors quite capable of taking a share.

iam just waiting for the Behringer Eurorack modules to fill my Bastl Instruments Case with it.

I love Ulis approach to make all this stuff accessible at a low price range + well thought out features.

if they had rebranded all of their Synths, nobody would compare the name „Behringer“ against the Big ones which have done a big market rip-off the last 40 years.

I don‘t understand why anybody should buy VA Synths at the highest possible price, these days.

grab a MacBook and a Midi Controller, that’s it.
Analog is Analog

2 Likes

You only have to look at the components to see this. Stuff like laptops, mobile phones and tablets have way more advanced technology but are much cheaper than electronic instruments.

I believe it comes down to the notion that instruments are more unique. Teenage Engineering can ask 1000 for OP-1 with its 8 years old mobile processor and lowres display because there are no real alternatives. Same goes for Elektron and has been the case for Moog sound etc as well.

Though not anymore, thanks to Behringer.

Ok. More ‘advanced technologies’ does not necessarily mean more expensive to bring to market or manufacture when you consider economies of scale.

Developement and engineering is a big part of the cost. So its hard to guess what the real margins of a product is. One thing is the build cost from a factory, but that money needs to pay 50 engineers as well as all the other people in the organisation.

Guys stop arguing about this. The answer I gave was the most correct and accurate, economy of scale and vertical integration. Of course B has profit. Other companies with less vertical integration or less buying power must charge more to maintain that same ratio.

It is simple, but simplifying to the point of “Because China!” is showing a real lack of understanding.

2 Likes

Good point, but I don’t fully agree. The engineers need a compensation for their work, but they shouldn’t rely on releasing one product and then live with huge profit margins from building it for the rest of their lives.

There needs to be competition (in form of clones, imitators etc) that forces the innovators to innovate more new things instead of keep earning money for old inventions. Luckily patent/copyright laws reflect this mindset and Behringer is able to make these clones.

1 Like

This is spot on. Behringer has doubled down and invested in building their own factories while most others are outsourcing manufacturing. They design (redesign/clone/whatever) it, they custom build many of their own primary components (IC’s), manufacture/assemble/test in house and then distribute directly to the largest retailers. What’s outsourced is probably just the low hanging fruit of generic nuts, bolts, screws, sheet metal, etc.

1 Like

huge profit???(for Roland maybe,recycling for decades and Behringer nowadays) Look at history, lot’s of manufacturers went bankrupt, got bought by big companies or simply don’t exist anymore! Nowadays I think even the Analog four has a chip from Behringer in it!
It’s just the so called ‘name’ you pay! ‘Boutique’, analog, handmade etc whatever they like to mislead us with!
Eventually Behringer will be controlling almost the entire market, buying all the smaller brands, just like it goes in f.e. the car industry! Really sad to see!

The MS101 and TD-3 inspired me to get a bass station 2, after many years of eyeing it up.

Does both and has AFX mode :wink:

1 Like

I think you really misunderstand what B is trying to do. The acquisitions they’ve made have been in the name of vertical integration, bringing technologies and engineering talent to their brand in order to avoid outsourcing, which leads to either lower costs for consumers or more profit for the company, or a mixture of both. This is not a negative thing in any sense, no matter what your feelings on Behringer are. In fact, any company with the means to do so should be taking this route. The downside is that management becomes more complex, but a huge upside is that you don’t have to deal with the (typically constant) fuck-ups of manufacturers and suppliers you contract with. If you have the talent and can bring a process in-house, you can probably do it better, faster, and cheaper. I do not believe that they are buying IP and other brands in order to kill competition. Your outrage is misplaced friend.

1 Like

Eum have you ever heard about the brands they already have? Musictribe is Behringer! They already have Midas, Klark Teknik, Lab Gruppen, Lake, Tannoy, Turbosound, TC Electronic, TC Helicon, Bugera, Coolaudio and Auratone.

Look at where those brands are now! Less quality, quantity for the masses at cheap prices, because then they will buy more and who cares if it breaks after warranty, just buy another cheap one pfff! Hell it’s all f*** consumption nowadays, everything in musicbusiness is a ripoff actually, even if it’s cheap or mega expensive.

Where do you base the lesser quality on of those brands? I don’t think that is a thing really. Midas is still high end Midas. Tannoy still makes great products. The knowledge they gain by acquiring those brands has resulted in things of high quality as well. Namely the X32 and now WING. That thing looks incredible and I highly doubt those things break right after warranty wears off. The x32 is industry standard for a reason.

If anything I think Behringer even focuses on built quality to get that assumption that still sticks off of their brand.

The reason they can make stuff so cheap is because of acquiring those brands, having a mega factory where they have everything in house, minimal profit margin, and volume.

4 Likes

I always base my opinion on my own experience with those brands! And of all the things I bought during the last 10years I needed to go more to the store for repairs etc Not only Behringer stuff but also others. It can maybe be because it’s me not having luck, but I learned my lessons. Brands can fuck me up twice but not 3 times, then I won’t be ever buying again from them!

tbh that is anecdotal and thus hardly real evidence of those brands suddenly dropping in quality.

It surely sucks, so not my intention to down play your experience. I’m just a bit vocal on the whole assumption that everything Behringer makes is of bad quality. there are numerous products of theirs that show otherwise. Same goes for the assumption that everything made in China must be bad quality. If anything the opposite is true. China is miles ahead when it comes to efficient production. Not to say that everything manufactured in China is of high quality either of course.

3 Likes