The Behringer era

^ When the salary of your designers directly reflects their ability. One of the many reasons why cheap is cheap. :rofl: “pay peanuts, get monkeys”

2 Likes

Not any more difficult to read than the m32/dfam

3 Likes

Think about different lighting scenarios, black on white, white on black, or black on silver are always going to be easier to read, hence their almost universal use on professional equipment.

1 Like

I think you should tone down on the Behringer bashing a bit… Neutron is pretty epic synth for very nice price, and it’s not a clone of anything…

Also, there are some pretty nice custom overlays for it if the stock one is not to your liking :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m not bashing them though, just saying what I think, obviously other people don’t like the look of the Neutron either because they went to the trouble and expense of designing their own.

I have never said the Neutron wasn’t unique, I have even said it was the most interesting thing they have done, can’t deny it is ugly as hell though.

1 Like

I love the second and third one. Also found this one that looks so nice

1 Like

Still better than MIs :rofl:

All these newbies should ask Dieter Doepfer.

Oh, and crap shot btw.

You’re very welcome :wink:

A bad screenshot from a YouTube video was the best I could find and strangely, still better than this render on Behringer’s own website:

It’s worth noting that the colour red compresses really badly on web-based images, particularly jpegs. I’m sure the Neutron front panel is way more readable in the flesh.

Personally, I find Émilie and Hannes’s work on the Mutable Instruments user interfaces really beautiful and intuitive. Each to their own.

A few weeks with a synth and you shouldnt have to read the labels anyways. Like learning any instrument, it eventually becomes stuck to your memory.

1 Like

Yeah that is a fair point. Deluge has lots of shortcuts which become second nature after a little while.

Still, aesthetics are also important, more so for some than others, admittedly.

I have the feeling some poor kid somewhere is going to become the next Aphex Twin/kraftwerk of electronic music with a Behringer-only set up

Much like how acid was born from bargain bin 303s

1 Like

Ahah, right… Octatrack manuals should self-destruct after a month maybe.

Octatrack’s and Synths like Neutron which have no menu diving are two different things. And likewise, if you spend time with the instrument you should not need to be reading every label.

True, also the reason why Rolands own SH-101 became so popular

Or just makes one machine with all the features of every elektron product called the elektron b. … models dream machine.

I didn’t have the neutron in mind, I think it’s fine actually. I was refering to MI stuff (like Peaks), but I guess it was lost in the moderation dance. Anyway these Behringer thread always polarize people, it’s the mac vs pc of our era :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wanna be completely honest about my (objectively) brutal (and strictly personal) opinion about Behringer and expressing it here.

From a post of mine in another forum a couple of years ago:

“ Behringer, that crappy brand! ! :laughing:

They’re awful and I laugh at them.

They’re the audio equivalent of junk food.”

Yeah I know I was harsh, but I stand by my words.
Let me explain in another way with someone else’s words:

"First they came for Mackie, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a pub soundtech.

Then they came for Boss, and I did not speak out—
Because I was into boutique pedals by Z-vex.

Then they came for Peavey Valve amps, and I did not speak out—
Because I am not a shred guitarist.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

This kind of discussion has been going on for years in guitar circles, and probably longer in sound-tech circles.
I’ve got to a point where I just try to vote with my wallet, and ignore the pantomime.
The number one rule for me is:
if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
A £3 t-shirt from Primani?
A 50p pint of milk?
A £20 guitar pedal?
Someone is getting screwed.”

7 Likes

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

This perfectly sums up my reservations about Behringer stuff. You get this amazing sounding synth for 200 or whatever, and the alternative is 600 from Moog or Korg etc. What’s the catch? Just feels fishy.

A £200 guitar pedal, and someone is certainly getting screwed.

3 Likes