The Behringer era

Mohist consequentialism: buy Behringer.

Categorical imperative: don’t buy Behringer.

Contractarianism: buy Behringer if there is mutual agreement among Elektronauts.

Aristotelian ethics: cultivate in yourself the traits necessary to be able to make a moral choice when buying Behringer.

6 Likes

Language? Better +beep+

I would say before a Behringer boycott WE must take Care to prevent global warming.

1 Like

Who you boycott depends completely on what you’re trying to achieve.
You seem to be reasoning from the point that all big corporations are bad.
In that respect behringer is a small fish.

In the audio gear market behringer certainly is a big fish doing mass-production.
I think the issue is that this fish is stinking up the local market. It has nothing to do with apple or volkswagen or whatever. Those are separate issues and one can easily think of good reasons not to buy those products.

I’m the kind of asshole who will deliberately buy from places that folk bang on about boycotting! Just 'cause.

Deepmind here I come.

4 Likes

You better watch out or someone might brow beat because you have a different opinion than theirs :joy:

Yes you are right, deleted. I don’t think this is the discussion I want to have.

2 Likes

Behringer heard you J0n35y – so they’ve put the Deepminds in heavy discount.

2 Likes

:rofl:

I thought your original post was actually a good set of points. I was luck to have been abel to read when i did.

It is said that a million Uighurs and Kazakhs are political prisoners in China – BBC

So if someone can make the connection between buying stuff made in China and this, it would be very easy for me to stop. It wouldn’t be just Behringer, it would be everything.

I wonder if they would ever make a bumachindrum for £300… always wanted a machine drum back in the day.

I mean… there are people getting send to prison for life and kicked out of the US every day with no justice too but would you boycott Moog? This is a political/social issue, I dont think synths are that important to be making a connection to things that have such an impact worldwide.

I dont support anything in that video but my decision of which synth to buy has no connection to it. There are better ways to make the world better than deciding what country your next synth was built in.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying but if you’re an idiolistic artist, having gear with negative stigma could be enough for you to not want to create art with them. Are we all that way? No, does most gear have some not great practises attached to it? Probably, but I do feel like behringer kind of exudes the flavor of negativity. Because I have the easy choice not to use there stuff I am free to make it, it’s not like it’s hard to not buy a boog, I’ve been making music just fine before they existed. I mostly don’t by behringer because of what uli has said and done in the past, and would rather not support someone who reminds me of trump. No judgment for those who do but that’s just a choice we all gotta make or ignore on are own time. It is nice to have people think about it though.

1 Like

I actually 100% agree that Behringer exudes the flavor of negativity but my response was to the video linked. I understand that Behringer is in China but what does it have to do in connection to the problems with Uighurs and Kazakhs being sent to prison. This is an entirely different problem that should be talked about but I doubt Behringer had anything to do with it.

I just dont see why connect a countries negative flavor to a company and vice versa.

I can’t support a man who is systematically exploiting everything, from the people on the manufacturing floors (and their families), to all the R&D and hard work performed by other manufacturers. The man is genuinely rotten to the core, for more reasons then that.

If you’ve bought into all the carefully planned PR, with the tribes, the happy new front facade, all the posts on GearSlutz, starting circa 2016 A.C, that means Behringers planning worked. Mission accomplished.

Buy the cheap knockoffs, we all love cheap stuff right, we’re only humans. But don’t rain any praise over Uli Behringer in the process.

Meanwhile, I’m personally grateful that we have companies and people coming up with new exciting stuff, pushing things forward. That doesn’t come free.

14 Likes

No I don’t buy gear for the prestige or I would not have a herd of Monotribes, Volcas, Pocket Operators etc. No I have no interest in buying gear thinking about it’s future value. Yes Behringer are taking lots of money.

Why would they care about their products less than a year on sale are being sold used? Think about it. Because people thinking of buying one might buy it used instead of new, for less money, therefore Behringer doesn’t make a cent.

But I fail to see where the questions pertain to my post?

People do love classic sounds, including me. I owned an 808 for a long time, sold it, had a 909 too sold it. Now I have the tiny ‘toy’ boutique versions, but if they were as huge as Behringer’s then I would not have bothered buying them, personally.

Maybe you are right and Behringer gear will be responsible for a little revolution, I don’t share that view though.

1 Like

I’m afraid it’s like that with every product. Somebody can just decide to buy used cheaper one. Same with used elektrons. If product is priced competitively then a bigger chance somebody will buy new and less saving you can get by buying second hand.

I never had a real 808, wouldn’t touch it for the prices they were going for. Completely not interested in the small digital rolands but man I’m so happy to get that BOB clones from behringer. Everything about them is right from my perspective, size, features, price, technology used. Each to their own :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yawn

1 Like