The Amiga 1000 Operating System

Depends what you mean by a DAW - would you count something like Audacity, which I use only for multi-track recording and then editing, as a DAW?

Enhanced Tape Recorder, or ETR, is a better name for Audacity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice thread!

I had an Atari STe with the Stereo Master sampling cartridge and some tracker software that I canā€™t remember the name of, and later also had an Amiga and a whole bunch of trackers. Such fun times!

Nowadays, if iā€™m ever feeling nostalgic, I have a Raspberry Pi with MilkyTracker which can load Amiga mods :slight_smile:

Hm. My current MBP boots faster than my Amiga 1200. It also is about as stable in terms of MIDI clock (yeah, I actually did test that).

Also, OctaMED was pretty much the only tracker that had MIDI support and could do the 8 channel mixing trick which did in turn result in reduced sound quality compared to using the 4-voice hardware directly.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much how I use it, as a (mostly) unlimited-track recorder.

To keep things a bit on topic, I recall there was some kind of real-time hard-disc recording software for the Amiga, but it was pretty much useless.

https://dataairlines.bandcamp.com/album/st-fm-data999 Here is a new Amiga compilation release by some of my friends! :slight_smile: turn it up to 200% !!!

Started out making music on an Amiga 500 running OctaMED. Such a cool program and I got super quick editing tracker data! No MIDI, just samples.

Remember:

Leisure Suit Larry.
That crazy rave demo with the girl dancing to trippy backdrops.
A game I canā€™t remember the name of but 2 players, running around plan view on some space station collecting power ups like Speedy Boots to kill the other!

I never had a hard drive - just floppies!

500 machine and UI were possibly the best ever made!

Amiga love :heart:ļø Forever!

2 Likes

i worked on a few amiga games, and made c64 graphics on dpaint (we wrote a converter to download them ).
i used octamed for a while , when cdā€™s were popular , before the internetā€¦

the 1st hard drive i used was early 1990 i think, we shared one for the atari St , or backed up onto floppies each week.
people are still doing good demos , some even for souped up spectrums ā€¦

tell the kids these days and they just laughā€¦

1 Like

Yep. The updates are destroying my interest in anything computer-basedā€¦ I do not want my tools constantly changedā€¦I donā€™t want to spend time troubleshooting and updating x because y got updatedā€¦ and there is something wrong with the situation where such powerful machines cannot send a rock-solid MIDI clock out via USB.

Brilliant!!!

And how about that creepy Giger Darkseed game that I was only just brave enough to play!!

Exactly why I moved to OT. More work and probably less efficient, but canā€™t be doing with constant updates, unsupported software, software not working, computers getting slow. F that. Just wanted to find a machine and workflow I can invest in and use for 10+ years that wonā€™t change.

Edit: also why I have no interest whatsoever in OB.

Dreamweb - dark as fuck for its day. Killer soundtrack and a good game with dark humour.

2 Likes

I think modern OSā€™s and software have so many man hours in them with large teams working on them, that they cannot really (as proven so often) get things out the door in a solid and reliable state, fix it in the next update mentality etc. Of course this is a drastic over simplification, but essentially it is one of the main reasons I cannot be bothered with computers beyond what is necessary, and I tend not to have lots of software installed in fact the only music related things are C6, midiox, audacity, waveosaur and a few manufacturers apps for various bits of gear.

Everytime I boot up and am informed that before I can do any work an update must be installed, call that progress?

Been thinking about getting one of these, as it reminds me of when computers were fun.
http://geoffg.net/MicromiteMX470.html

I got a 1000 and a 2000 i need to pull out of storage and revive

So dark and futuristic. No one makes it like that anymore.

This is why I love the 80s too. It was all so 3008 back then.

With all the modern special FX in films and games these days, they completely miss the depth, atmosphere and darkness.

The future is pure dystopian darknessā€¦ get ready.

Please tell me youā€™re not using Windows 10. Anyway, there are firewalls you can set up to block anything you donā€™t want from connecting to the internet, and there is the hosts file where you can block Windows update servers.

Sounds like John from the book of revelationā€¦ written a long long time ago by a madman!
It is actually easier to live this life knowing that we cannot possibly know the future - because the future is not set in stone.

Not so fast !

1 Like

There is still a very cool scene around the Amiga computer even if it will never make a comeback now (was not completely obvious in the very early 2000).

About 10 good games per year I would say, quite a few great demos (check out ā€œEonā€ by ā€œThe Black Lotusā€ for instance), some new Amiga-compatible machines around FPGAs (MiSTer FPGA or Vampire V4), some Amiga-inspired OSes like MorphOS are still being updatedā€¦

I actually got hold of a Model:Samples because it seems Iā€™ll be able to do some Protracker-like stuff with it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was immediately hit by a flashback just reading this old threadā€™s title. :boom:

The A1000 was my second computer, a real piece of beauty with the signatures of the designers engraved at the inside of the case (hidden from view). Never seen something like this afterwards.

2 Likes