The Amiga 1000 Operating System

lol and there’s another program i wanted to embrace yet found myself not quite achieving victory with lol.

verrrrry cool textural, exploratory audio making software is Renoise.

Sugar Bytes’ “Effectrix” Audio Unit is a lot of fun and somehow the interface seems referential, even though a different kind of thing.

I ended up getting a nice, mid 90s Sony video switcher with a bunch of effects and transitions for like $70 for that purpose.

1 Like

Appreciate it’s a personal preference, but ‘inefficiency’ with respect to modern DAWS? Really?

Yes, I feel this as well.
I could never make music on a computer because I had first to take the time to setup things, play Lego before being actually able to play.
Compared to switching on my instruments :wink:

and the Guru Meditation lol

there is a saying, surfers meditate in the barrel, not on the beach …

talking about music is like dancing about architecture …

but is there is a well known truism cliche or aphorism for nostalgia?

i don’t know.

i think Amiga could come back.

Amiga Basic or was it Visual something? Anyway the programming language to code for the Amiga was simply superb. Support for Sprites with cool adornments bells and whistles.

In the end it was actually a few issues/scenarios of failure to achieve timely distribution of product, getting computers to locations and onto the shelves… due to ineptness not on the behalf of Amiga …
that then brought about the initial cessation of business due to revenue flow issues.
but the Amiga computers were in demand.

and the programming language although typed was maybe not strongly typed, thereby relying on coders to maintain best practise with class variable types. if they did not do that, then the propensity for Guru Meditation was a higher ratio, and really it wasn’t much fun to reboot. It was okay though. Such a gorgeous user interface.

1 Like

Yes but not power, inefficiency in the resources required to run a DAW or even just the OS itself, then things like midi and latency, which for some reason are a real challenge to get good performance from. Sure they are more powerful today, and do offer a lot, although progress in the last 10 years has slowed to a crawl,
By contrast an amiga tracker could easily play 8 tracks of audio and send accurate midi clock with 2mb of ram, no hard drive, with zero latency, 25 years ago, and it would be booted up in a matter of seconds.

3 Likes

whilst the Atari 520 and Atari 1040 were legendary for their swing glide midi time clock … not sure how it worked but there was special sauce going on, something mentioned about it in a documentary i watched years ago

1 Like

Ah ok, I see - ‘inefficient’ in the sense that your method of working clashes with the nature of computers/DAWS, as opposed to there being anything inherently ‘inefficient’ about a DAW. Pure semantics. But I like semantics.

Personally, I find Ableton the height of efficiency, and things like Elektrons less efficient, because once I’ve created something, it has to go into the computer anyway, then I’ve got the headache of any latency, bouncing audio etc. to sort out.

Whatever helps you create!

1 Like

Cool, I never really used anything pre-modern to make music, other than messing around, so something like Ableton is basically ground zero to me and seems to be able to do almost anything I want it to.

Yes, and the ST could also have multi port midi interfaces and still send accurate midi clock from each physical midi port. Obviously part of what we are talking about in this thread is about nostalgia, but some aspects are to do with technical superiority, user experience and performance which are timeless and measurable concepts not rooted in nostalgia.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff.

Yep the power and flexibility of a modern and well configured DAW is undisputed, and as I always say if you have the patience and are comfortable working with them then frankly you’d be daft not to.

I must admit part of me would love to do away with all this messy hardware, millions of cables, large financial outlay and various compromises and annoyances that a large hardware setup suffers from, and replace the whole lot with a DAW and decent control surface, but modern computers are always the stumbling block for me.

1 Like

It amazes me when I here of people producing complete tracks without a DAW these days.
Not a negative at all, just surprising.
I can understand laying down ideas on hardware alone, but there are just too many limitations in the end for me personally

2 Likes

The way I feel - but one of the big thoughts I hear a lot on here is that people really like limitations to aid their creativity in some way.

1 Like

Yeah bizarre. I don’t want any limitations whatsoever when writing music

1 Like

Get off the lawn you freewheeling DAW loving kids! We’re reminiscing here :ecstatic:

5 Likes

Haha yes carry on gents :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m a software engineer by day, dealing mainly in the guts of various kernels.

AmigaOS was a work of pure beauty.

I remember using Dr. T’s KCS on a 68040 desktop Amiga back in the day, with a 20GB hard disk. I still regret selling it, to buy a PC.

Btw - if only I had the time to think about playing with esoteric sytems - http://www.a-eon.com/

3 Likes

Give me your dinner money

Part of me doesn’t either, but the practical side of me does or I just get bogged down with options and endless tinkering. It also depends on the nature of the limitations, for example do I need 50 types of reverb or just a couple, etc.

Also I find that having limitations pushes my creativity, but to be honest I always seem to struggle with having too much gear, despite concerted efforts to reduce and simplify my setup, so I often find that working with just a small selection of the gear is when I am at my most productive, weird huh?