Textural Rytm

amazing :+1:

1 Like

Thanks everyone.
Iā€™ve been working two really high paying contracts in New Zealand government, the latest of which was terminated earlier this week.
Creativity has been rampant!

1 Like

Your work is fantastic, Kotare. Definitely the most inspiring stuff Iā€™ve heard coming from the Rytm (not to slight anyone else).

1 Like

Seriously great stuff. You got a Soundcloud? Offer up any insights into how you go about processing your samples/AR?

Iā€™m curious about his processing too.
Please KOTARE give us some hints

(receiving mine next week)

Hi all.

Nothing too dramatic to be honest. Sometimes I use OB which is surprisingly clean and pleasing sounding to me.

Sometimes I use a Sebatron VMP-4000e tube preamp with Mullard tubes.

I clock everything with an RME pre which is also a great audio interface. I bought a powerful new laptop in Cambodia which I paid for by selling a mint 808 which I found there for $42.

I have a nice Toa console that I push things into to use the shelving filters on tonally rich sounds.

I used to use an old Akai MG console and found that this suited the Rytm a lot but I gave it to my cousin.

I use some MSI comps and Fab filter EQs and filters to clean up stems.

Everything else is a combination of processing in the Rytm and samples. The samples I use are all self created and involve processing in all kinds of boutique samplers I used to own before I sold pretty much everything to go live in Cambodia.

My set up is very, very small now - the smallest in 5 years. Rytm, ESQ-1, the above mentioned equipment, and an Analog Keys which Iā€™d like to swap out soon for something phatter sounding and more immediate.

1 Like
1 Like

Very nice new track.

I remember awhile back you speaking on Pres/Samplers/and FX boxes offering sonic characteristics. It made me pick up a cheap ASR10 being sold. I love it. Though not AS gritty as an ESQ-1, it does take the shine off things. Plus the FX and traswave parametersā€¦good lord.

Ever gotten into or considered getting into 500 series?

The ASR was the last sampler I sold, just last month. Actually thatā€™s a lie - I have a Korg DSS-1 left and an Emax in Cambodia, and my Polaris is over there tooā€¦

When Iā€™m ready to get new things the ASR and the S612 are the two Iā€™ll grab again, and another H3000.

Iā€™m very interested in the 500 series. The next thing will be either nice EQs or some hefty comps or another Great River pre.

The ASR is bad ass - I used mine as an FX buss and sampler. So bad.

The thing that really got me interested in the 500 series was the xpressor 500. Seems like a helluva deal.

I look forward to whatever you put out next. Happy creating!

1 Like

You can get the Rytm to come to life in a totally different way when you use the Analog Keysā€™ modulations and LFOs though

4 Likes

Crazy mechanical robot-like minimal romance!

1 Like
4 Likes
2 Likes

You are killing it with these short tracks. Gold Fields 3 is great!

1 Like

Maybe a dumb question, but by this are you routing audio from the Rytm into the Keys, or some other way of modulation into the Rytm?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Most of these are RYTM via OB with generous use of the onboard COMP and DIST. I use a lot of trigless trigs and slides and tune up sounds in the box before DAW.

I really donā€™t enjoy feeding audio into the RYTM. If thereā€™s keys in a track itā€™s usually been separately tracked :slight_smile: