Test your Digitakt for pops/clicks on the record inputs

I reported this issue to Elektron, just curious if it affects other units as well:

Make sure your monitors aren’t cranked way up.

• (optional, but ideal) Start a new project
  • Leave the pattern empty and transport stopped
  • Go to the record page
  • Set SRC to EXT L, EXT R, or EXT L&R
  • Turn MON to YES
  • Wait and see if you get random snaps, crackles, and pops.
  • The pops should be audible and visible on the level meter.

The pops can be very intermittent so you may be waiting a while. Sometimes mine will go a minute without doing it, then do 2-3 in a rapid succession every few seconds. It’s totally random. Mine does it even if no cables are plugged in.

Demo Videos:
With cables plugged in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BVqnllqmajrv6Kkq2
No cables plugged in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8U1tYSSXn7kFaEGK2

2 Likes

Not seeing that here. No spikes at all.
OS 1.0.7

Thanks for checking. I’m also on 1.07, I’m mostly curious if this is hardware related, or maybe even power related. I’ve tried moving to other power outlets and tried other surge protectors, and swapped the PSU with my Digitone to no avail. I do have a whole house surge protector as well.

ah ok, i was going to suggest moving the unit to another room away from your other gear, but i guess you already tried that. do you know anyone else with a digitakt, that you could try in your room? at least then you’d know if you had a flaky unit or not…

I think this is a hardware defect, mabye a not well soldered spot somewhere.

I ran mine for 30mins and no pops or clicks, hopefully you can swap it over

Just tested mine and not having this issue either. Looks like you’ll need to contact Elektron for support.

1 Like

Thanks for checking. I’ve updated my ticket with Elektron Support to reflect this, and to find out what is the process for getting a warranty replacement and backing up / transferring my projects, sounds, and samples.

1 Like

I have experienced these static clicks a couple of times (exactly as in your videos). They are very intermittent. I also disconnected cables etc. but that doesn’t make any difference. Have you heard back from Elektron? (ps my Digitakt’s MFGDT is 2017-W48 — in case it’s a quality issue)

I have not, my ticket hasn’t been updated since shortly after I submitted it.

(edit: the OS has been updated, but not to address this particular issue, it seems.)

Are you on 1.08, a few post back you mentioned you were still on 1.07
The last update was almost exactly 2 months ago.

1 Like

You almost scared me :slight_smile: no prob here

You’re right - I was on 1.07 at the time. I’ve since updated to 1.08 but the issue remains. However now that I can back up my DT I’m going to pursue a warranty replacement since this doesn’t appear to be a widespread issue.

I’ve been in the process of fixing up / moving into a new house so my gear has been untouched for several weeks, and I kind of forgot about this for a while.

1 Like

This issue persists after 1.10 and I’ve isolated it to the right input only which means if I disable the right input I don’t get any pops. However in my setup that’s not practical because I’m using a stereo AUX out on my K-Mix to route audio for the Digitakt so I really need both channels active.

Seems all of Elektron is on vacation right now, so yay for their work/life balance, not so much for my broken Digitakt :frowning:

I’m mostly eager to get it fixed so I can safely sell it on, I’ve moved sampling duties to my Deluge which doesn’t have any issues.

I’m having this problem too in my 5 days old Digitakt. Even if I do not have nothing connected except the power supply. I can monitor and record them. It only happens on R input.

What did Elektron say about this? I highly suspect that this is an hardware problem.

I sent my Digitakt in and it was replaced with a new unit. I never heard back from Elektron about what they discovered, I don’t reckon that I will either.

I would exchange at the dealer it if you can.

Thanks for the reply!!

i think this problem is dirty power spikes imo

If that is the case why would it only happen when the right input is activated?

The issue also persisted across multiple physical locations (I moved), different power supplies (tried the one from my Digitone) and different locations within the house.

The issue would occur even if no cables were plugged into the inputs, in fact you could have nothing at all plugged in except for power. As soon as SRC was set to either R or L+R the spikes would occur.

dud unit then