Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

Some artists use reel2reel in live performances, still in 2019!

3 Likes

of course love Hainbachā€™s tape excursions

1 Like

Actually I donā€™t buy any toy they release, I didnā€™t fancy the 16 keyboard or the 170 because they were not that useful to me, so I do have a little bit of self control :wink:

Yeah definitely donā€™t need any of them either though, however we all know the inspiration a new toy can bring, at the same time like most synth lovers GAS is a constant battle (spoiler alert the odds are against us!) I think the 400 will be useful to me, and it is mainly because of the neat self contained and portable package.

But see I also love to grab a few or sometimes just one bit of gear, set up on the dining table and have a little jam or recording session, away from my main setup, without being in the mindset of ā€œworking in the studioā€ and the freedom just to mess about and see where I end up.

And I think that finally manufacturers in the last 7 or so years are waking up to this idea, so we see a nice choice of battery powered, capable ā€œbut not the be all and end allā€ instruments - the bongos, harmonicas, acoustic guitar kind of concept for the electronic musician if you will.

So yeah, Volcaā€™s, Pocket Operators, and these ā€œtoysā€ are always of interest to me, if I find them interesting/useful - I didnā€™t get the Volca kick or the PO32 as they didnā€™t interest me enough to buy.

I think that doesnā€™t make me a collector :wink: As you say not that there is anything wrong in that anyway :thup:

5 Likes

Also to be doubly fair you make some cracking tunes with your gear!

1 Like

Thank you, it is very kind to say that :blush:

1 Like

Well you can put the output of each VCO into the mixer.

4 Likes

Baseck! Cuckoo!

8 Likes

As per usual Baseck made me want a piece of gear.
Personally I donā€™t find a modular monophonic voice that interesting - itā€™s mostly Makenoise that attracts me to modular.

1 Like

Judging by the naming conventions of these,
I wonder what will sit between the 170 and 400?
a 3 osc skiff 300
2 osc 170 with no keyboard 200

Filter sounds great, and the VCOs seem to have very nice modulation response, the envelope seems to have a nice snappy attack. Canā€™t wait to get mine.

3 Likes

eBay opportunist jagoffs already at it-

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132924067641

pff what a fucking world we live in, like that OP1 for 28000dollar pff

Funny how he does that, eh? :slight_smile:

Oh dear, some a$$holes out there for sure.

Some guy on ebay UK bought an OP-Z just to flip it for Ā£100 more than he paid once they sold out, but it was very funny to see UK dealers quickly getting new stock whilst his listing was still active, so Ā£529 with free shipping is the current new price, the dumba$$ isnā€™t giving up though and graciously reduced his to Ā£560 + Ā£10 shipping, I think heā€™ll be holding on to it for a whileā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s Tom Dixon retail store in Coal Drops Yard, TE have had the pop up there since December showing the OPZ for design week or something or other.

Street price in Sweden is 5000 SEK / 420Ā£ at the moment. Iā€™ve seen 3-4 listings so far.
(Thereā€™s btw a certain Elektron employee trying to sell one on FB at the momentā€¦gossip)

Yes, but to be able to play them simultaneously, you need a keyboard with three simultaneous outputs.

I wouldnā€™t call the enclosure sturdy. Check the video where cuckoo plays with it for example. The casing doesnā€™t stay in place when patching chords etcā€¦

This is true.
I reckon most folks will just use the onboard sequencer, which has three outputs, however.

What is the point in arguing about all of this?

1 Like

This is a forum for discussion. What should we do here if not discuss?

1 Like

Also true, just seems like a lot of back and forth and tit for tat, posts flagged, posts deleted, all on this one issue dominating the thread lately.
And for what? To prove that this thing costs more than another different thing?

I have no dog in this fight, only an observer.

Anyway, I think those who want the 3 OSC mono sound can achieve it with the help of the onboard sequence and being deliberate with their patching, and those who want to spend less will find other options. No one is wrong here.

1 Like