Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

Great video, rocking the Tropicana Inn as their NAMM booth instead of the back of a van, this year.
:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hmm looks like TRS patch cables, strange.

1 Like

Guys, can someone tell me what is the appeal of fiddling around with this small pots? This would be torturing for me. Why would anyone enjoy that? Is the money the only factor? If not, why not just go full eurorack or something.

I think it is a valid point you make, however Eurorack itself isnā€™t exactly a great interface either, many modules have small pots, and even if they donā€™t once you have plenty of patch cables plugged in it isnā€™t optimal.

I guess people might put their own knobs on the shafts to improve the tactile feel, however sometimes I find that narrower knobs can be easier in a dense patch. So thereā€™s that.

3 Likes

the knobs are technics lego compatible. Buy some lego bits and customize to your hearts content :wink:

I was thinking someone eventually creates a monster with some PO modules and minstorm legos heheā€¦ So itā€™s gonna be you?! Nice

1 Like

That newer mindstorms brain is Bluetooth compatible and I have seen quite a bit of third party stuff that allows it to be controlled from Bluetooth enabled boards like raspi/microbit/arduino etc, so in theory a midi-Bluetooth cc bridge could be something to tinker with, cc midi LFO to lego motor lets the robots do the bidding :rofl:

3 Likes

So you say that eurorack isnā€™t much generous either with space? Thinking about trying out some modular . Thanks for opinions and thanks for not attacking me !!

the TE stuff is much cheaper than equivalent setups in eurorack too, maybe unless you were very cunning when picking and buying said euro.

1 Like

Behringer Neutron is almost half of the price of System 400, is better built and does lots more. System 400 is essentially a basic one vco subtractive semimodular synth for $499.

1 Like

I take it all back gais :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cant help itā€¦all i see is Lego Technic

1 Like

It is 3 VCO fully modular

4 Likes

I was going to say IKEA crossed with legos/erector set

1 Like

Have you ever tried a Korg MS-20 mini? The only reason I ask is that it has a good balance between patchability and being easy to tweak, is pretty well priced compared to a modular and sounds fantastic, and is very versatile.
The disadvantage for some is that it isnā€™t directly compatible with eurorack in all aspects (but is in some) and it isnā€™t fully modular, meaning that some connections are hard-wired and not every aspect of it is brought out to patch points, for example the VCO outputs etc.

Those 3 VCOā€™s each only have one waveform and since there is no mult, you canā€™t really play them at once with just the synth very easily. So they are very limited and have combined functionality that is usually included in one VCO module.

Itā€™s not really fully modular either - sure, you need to build it from separate blocks/modules but you need to use the fixed set of modules unless you make your own front panels.

1 Like

No i didnā€™t, but i like the sound, and was thinking about it , like for 10 last years , but never pooled the trigger. I also kind of suspicious about mini reissue.
I have malekko manther now, and it has separate outputs for osc waveforms and it gives me a lot of creative opportunities, and now i am thinking of modular again, i wonder, how crazy that would be to explore ? As much i like ms 20, if i go open in to the wild, than i will do it full throttle !

The TE modular is Bauhaus through and through.

Nice!

lol! <3