Teenage Engineering OP-Z

The same can be said for like, anything. Why not just use Pure Data on Linux? :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno guys. I really like the design of the TE stuff and the OP-1 is a masterpiece. But its something I’ve bought and sold 4 times, each time realising why I sold it the last time around.

I could never do a complete track on it and hardly used it in the studio, especially considering the other hardware. And therein lies the biggest problem for me… I end up owning too many little boxes, each unique but not necessarily helpful when laying down tracks…

Unfort (for me), I would use it sparingly on holidays and found I never really used it to its potential. Working with 4 tracks and the tape is awesome but I never felt I could complete a track.

Why the ramble? Because I’ve learned my lesson… and I dont want to have to learn my way around yet another niche instrument.

Having said that, GAS makes us do irrational things… the OP-Z looks very promising… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

OPZ = instabuy with no remorse…

Tesla did the calculations many years back.

Most people that make music have a midi controller and many also hve iOS device. The ”power” comes from the apps - there are many very powerful music creation apps for iOS that rival OP-Z functionality.

I loved OP-1 when I had it (but ultimately sold it because let’s face it, it’s a toy), but I am finding it hard to justify paying much for OP-Z. I just don’t get it. Maybe I will after the release, who knows, but right now it looks like an expensive controller for an app to me.

Well said, amigo. My experience exactly with the OP-1 (and TE in general), except I realized it the first time :wink:

Looong thread, this :smiley: I’m part of the beta testing team for the OP-Z. Looking forward to the release later this year! Will make a new tutorial when we get closer to release. It’s really getting there!

5 Likes

Somehow, the rumoured May release felt less likely when you said ”later this year”… :blush:

Your latest demo of the OP-Z, albeit brief, was brilliant. Lovely song, lovely vibe.

1 Like

Haha, well I’m just being careful to not mention anything related to the launch dates other than what has been said officially. Let’s say at least I haven’t heard any changes in the launch plan.

7 Likes

Why not indeed, many do. :+1:

1 Like

I’ll settle for that😊thanks😊

Totally :smile: it’s free and it’s awesome!

1 Like

Why does everybody always wonder why other people prefer different things?
We’re different people, there’s room out there for tons of options…
One persons awesome is another persons crap and vice versa. And every opinion in between…
It’s really that simple…

5 Likes

To be fair I guess it has some sort of benefit to counter back and forth to understand more why each people like different stuff… But only a couple times, there’s never some absolute answer to arrive at…

Personally I use what I use and that’s it. I don’t care what other people think of my gear choices, has no affect on me whatsoever nor does it ever even slightly begin to sway the opinion of gear I already have… People can hate my gear if they want and tell me it sucks, it won’t bother me one bit and I’ll still love it… :smile:
(Of course I’d rather they be chill and not say that, but just sayin:rofl:)

3 Likes
5 Likes

A year ago you were realistic already, respect! Youre not far off as we know now :slight_smile: It was stupid to hope that this will not go over the 400 € mark … im still curious how it works without the Screen. The finger acrobatics and memorization of dozens of different key combinations looks unattractive to me in the first place. But i was also not thinking that the OP-1 will get me that much - especially because i cannot play live or in time and the OP-1 is usually best suited for Keyboarders with good timing :slight_smile: It still works for me. So - Lets see how the OP-Z Story turns out. Still lots of months to go as it seems now :frowning:

well, I was still 100 bucks off, but the opz made quite a good impression @ superbooth this year. much better haptics than last year and I think they organized the ui quite good, so that you can use it without a screen. it has a really good step sequencer that might become better than the ones from elektron. Im very curious to listen to the final synth sounds. But the biggest issue they have to overcome is to make people believe that this is more than a toy — tough marketing.

1 Like

I didn’t like the op-1 at all
This makes even the op-1 look good
Why would anyone want this?
Genuine question

2 posts were split to a new topic: Sterile chat

I do believe OP-Z, as OP-1, will become the best instrument to bring in the park while watching kids, in the train, at some friend’s place, or even in the toilets…
Any time you watch or play with your phone, replace it by a device such as OP-1/Z or POs and bang, improvisation mode on !

2 Likes

I was originally interested in it because I am traveling a lot this year and I was thinking that if the OP-Z could sequence the PO32 and PO33 and record everything to the iPhone, and even add video for uploading to YouTube, it would be a perfect super compact travel rig. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to do any of that stuff (not that it was ever promised of course).

If the sampling and drums are as good as the PO32 and PO33, maybe I could justify it, but what I probably need is a compact iPhone recording interface and small midi controller.

2 Likes