Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I’ve barely used the app, of course you need to have the manual nearby until you learn every menu, but once you do it the led indicator system is one of the best designed user interfaces I’ve ever seen - and part of my job actually involves UX design, so I’ve seen some excellent stuff over the years (I’d rather not mention the terrible things I’ve seen, though).

The modules have started to ship today, by the way!

3 Likes

The app, while cool enough, kind of reminded me of why I didn’t get on with the OP1 and iOS app. It’s a bit of a distraction that distracted me away from using my ears when building patterns and jamming.

It’s a very useful “manual” to get your head around how some things work from the device but I’ve been surprised by how little I ended up using the app.

I suspect there will be big changes/developments with the app over time as updates roll out though.

Looks like there’s a Mac OS app now. Very cool!

My opz is in the mail, so a question for current users: Is the mixer functionality only available on the app? I didn’t see it represented elsewhere in the guide. Maybe one example of a function better implemented on the app than on the device?

1 Like

Oh cool! Downloading it!

With the OP-Z standalone, you can adjust track levels one by one, or you can adjust the “drum” group and the “synth” group. And mute groups of course.

But you’re right, you don’t get 8-track mixing like in the app.

There’s a setting (changed by editing a config from a computer) where you can have the OP-Z stay on the volume/pan section — the yellow LED section — when you switch tracks.

The normal behavior is to reset to the default white LED “page”. This will make sense once you use it ;).

With this changed setting, you can easy page through the tracks and quickly set their levels.

1 Like

It’s not immediately clear to me how to get my OP-Z to connect to my macOS with BT! Perhaps I need to use the cable. (The “sync” button didn’t make it show up in the app, like it does on an iOS device, nor in the BT system preferences pane.)

lmk if u can make it work.

Yeah I noticed that. If you connect with the cable thought it automatically connects.

1 Like

Here is a tip for controlling Ableton with OP-Z.

I needed a way to loosely couple my OP-Z’s MIDI channels to the target Ableton devices.

When using Live’s native mapping, the OP-Z’s channels are fixed to the target parameters based on how you initially did the mapping.

The below devices only care about the CC value, not the channel, so any CC flowing to the device will control whatever parameters to which it is mapped.

That allows you to setup a preset in Ableton for any Ableton or VST instrument, map it to OP-Z, and then load it on as many tracks as you want, while having OP-Z control that device as long as OP-Z is sending MIDI to that particular track.

I made some default presets for Ableton Operator, U-he Repro-5, and Synapse Legend.

Here is the Max For Live device I use:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/3186/cc-param-control-bank

This one will probably also work.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2651/manual-cc-mapper

1 Like

Is it my impression or this thing hasn’t a proper manual yet? The user guide is a joke.
I wonder if i can find something online.

This might be what you’re after >

OPZ.pdf (2.1 MB)

and if you check the forum you will find a myriad of user created manuals that have been compiled too >

2 Likes

I struggled with this too.

You have to go to Audio Midi Setup, then Window -> Show MIDI Studio… Then MIDI Studio -> Open Bluetooth Configuration… From there you should be able to Connect to your OP-Z after pressing the BT button.

From what I found, this is the only place to pair with a bluetooth midi device, not the main bluetooth settings for some reason.

2 Likes

anyone using the app on MacOS? what is your experience?

it has been working really well for me, but it takes a lot of CPU and my 2018 MBPro gets quite warm, fans blowing like crazy when it normally stays cool and quiet with Logic Pro. Wondering if the app needs some optimizations? I can’t imagine unity engine is this resource-intensive. or is it?

Nice one! Thank you for the tip. I’ll give it a go today.

Speaking very generally, Unity is optimised for portability more than speed. It’s usually pretty good but it can’t ever be as fast as something optimised for a specific platform.

I am using one of the standard cheaper end 2017 MBP’s and I am not having any problems as you describe and I also didn’t have many problems setting it up via Bluetooth though it I admit it isn’t as straight forward as I thought it would be - kinda of expected a plug n play experience.

The app does need work though - I was playing around with photomatic as I wanted to experiment on a larger screen but the functionality is not all there and you cannot add your own images (even if you go into the content folders of the application itself and edit everything there) - there is more info over on the OP-1 forums site.

Against the demos of some, which often overutilize the OP-Z’s presets, here’s a great sounding live-set I found (not mine) using just the OP-Z, made by a certain electrafa:

4 Likes

Do you all find yourselves building up a progression of patterns per project or use each pattern/lots of step components to build song progression within a single pattern in a project?

1 Like

i’ve gone both routes but am typically using one pattern and staying there… using step components, performance FX, and then just straight up changing track trigs after they’ve played out. …like same groove, new bass line; same pattern, new chords. …that sort of thing.

1 Like

I’ve tried both. I like changing patterns when I want a completely different feel, like a breakdown, or a “b” section. I really like getting as much as I can out of one pattern though.

The master track is really amazing for this. I wish you could use step components on the master track though. It seems like an obvious addition. I wonder why it’s not there already. Too unpredictable perhaps?

Being able to change bpm per pattern would also help.

yep this. Embrace destructive change etc…

2 Likes