Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Just blatantly posting another of my own videos in this thread, lol. Here’s a Step Component tutorial!

25 Likes

Like this a lot,

low fidelity, high dynamic.

Love the dense tones with subtle crunch

hey thanks vry much, thats what i’m going for :+1: – also in the visuals, I try to match the audio with chunky graphics rendered as ‘pretty’ as I can.

First there was Magnus Lindström from Sonic Charge who created a few years ago a drumsynth VST called u-Tonic. The TE folks asked Magnus If he could transfer/migrate his softdrumsynth onto TE’s POxx platform. There you go. I guess uTonic on OP-Z could be done. Not Sure though If it will hsppen.

Hey thank you for this. I think the manual could be clearer about the step components…
And btw, I still don’t understand the press+hold to “stack” components that you mentioned, did you mean press and hold shift to add multiple components? :thought_balloon:

2 Likes

Ah I was a bit unclear perhaps. If you’ve stacked a number of step components, and you wanna select one of them to change the value - press and hold for a bit on the step component you wanna change, to select it. If you press it swiftly you’ll turn it off.

4 Likes

Cool thanks!! :slight_smile: :hatching_chick:

1 Like

In addition to this you can also change the setting of a step component if you press and hold the corresponding button. So press and hold SHIFT+[step component] and you can immediately change that step component settings using the black keys.

It’s an odd one. I get waves of GAS for it. Thought I was over it all but made the mistake of listening to this video:

which demolished my GAS resistance to the point of shopping around and checking finance options this morning… Sake! Must resist.

Seriously though, that video did a great job of demonstrating the units versatility for me and watching this guy (and Cuckoo) use things like like the Launchpad in combination really makes for an interesting, playful set up.

5 Likes

I know exactly what you mean. I’m torn here. I’m about to travel for a bit and this would be a great travel companion. At the same time I feel it’s way overpriced at the moment, even though I’m sure it’ll evolve over time.

If you stay strong, I’ll stay strong.

FFS, you didn’t have to post that video, did you?

2 Likes

hahaha!

Doesn’t help that I got incredibly cool christmas presents for everyone but me…

1 Like

That was the exact same thought running through my mind…

Actually genuinely impressed by some of the snippets in that video. Goes a fair bit beyond what I thought was capable on the OP-Z.

I’m trying to love it but I’m struggling if I’m honest. the only thing I really like about the Z is step components, which are amazing. but fink I might send mine back.

the design decisions are either the future or a real shame. imo it’s the latter. :sleepy:

1 Like

That is exactly what I feared.

cool video… dammit.

this was a great video. i did all the step components with you and learned a lot.

i was just going wild and willy-nilly before your video. now i have better aim

i feel the exact opposite! i’m not having as much fun as Cuckoo literally laughing while playing, but it’s close!

i wish i could help you get stoked up.

i’m running mine into the Octatrack and couldn’t be getting any weirder

5 Likes