Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I’m happy to wait till I know what it’s capable of , how well things are implemented , how buggy it is , what actual features are missing despite being part of the marketing , actual in depth videos ( ones that aren’t a YouTube ‘celeb’ doing an unboxing and 20 minute free advert )

3 Likes

YOLO

I ordered :dancer:

This delays my other planned purchase significantly!

video deleted ?

Bit of a crappy pre order “bundle”. You don’t even get the bits and bobs shown in the picture, just the soft case.

Be safer to wait until you know what this thing actually does.

2 Likes

Really? Would love to know about the modules (1 coming this year?) and details on sample playback and the likes. Is there even a manual out there in the public?

Info still pretty thin on the ground if you ask me.

1 Like

What does it do? It’s pretty confusing product to me. It kind of seems like very expensive controller for an iOS app to me - would love to be proven wrong of course.

Why would I want OP-Z instead of something like Korg Gadget and a controller?

The iOS app is just a visualizer for the parameters. You can use the op-z without being tethered to your iPad, which is quite different from the (still awesome) Korg Gadget concept.

1 Like

Why would anyone want to use OP-Z without a screen?

there’s many a synthesizer without a screen

1 Like

sold out(… what was the price??

529£
PVC rollup is 16£

1 Like

Portability. Ever used the POs? The screens are cute but not communicating much :wink:

• Use the screen to design cool patches/sequences/whatever in an easier way.
  • Disconnect it.
  • Run to the club
  • Put a couch on stage, plug it in a PA and make the coolest show ever with your TV remote control pointing at the crowd. (Bonus if you glue a laser pointer on it and throw some cats around)
  • Profit
7 Likes

The case is probably £100 ( I haven’t looked , maybe later , I’m sure there’s info on their site / op1 forum ) . Op1 accessories were very overpriced.

16£ for the pvc rollup! So your probably right

We know one of the modules is ‘CV’ (as there is a CV setting) so could be 3 x CV and a Gate. With the sequencer as advertised that could be a pretty powerful Eurorack sequencer…It can Also sequence external Midi, has P Lock, polyrhythm and a lot of performance features.

I got one ordered just before the web site changed to sold out- it sold out I n less than an hour.

1 Like

CV module

4 Likes

Yeah… but can you really compare those synths to OP-Z? Synths without screens are mostly analog synths with a ”wysiwyg” interface for modifying sounds. This is different. If OP-Z is anything like OP-1, it needs a screen to be comfortable to use. Either that, or its functionality is going to be quite limited in the no-screen mode.

1 Like

Would be nice to know the size of the batch that they ”sold out”… was it 10 or 1000?

1 Like

Then it was pretty good achievement, good for them. I’m still not convinced about OP-Z, but I may be once some of those early adopters tell us what OP-Z actually is.

1 Like

Introducing the OB-Z… @ £250 From Behringer. With added screen. Soon.

9 Likes