Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Maybe TE are referring to not all parameters show numerical values.

It shows parameter page number for me. some other parameters that show numbers are tempo, arp type, step component value…

I think when they have the black keys of the keyboard available they show the numerical info when it is practical to do so.

lol!

Yeah at the moment I think that’s all :slight_smile:

The software synth and drum engines themselves are modular; you can add and remove them to the device using the app (and maybe using disk mode idk). I can imagine that a new synth engine will be added, called “sampler” or something, which allows for more interesting things with the mic.

1 Like

You can save only one pattern at a time in the OP-1 sequencers - any of them. That means you cannot switch from one pattern to another.

Please see the overview at the website, which lists a bunch of features the OP-1 sequencers do not have - too many for me to type here:
https://teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

1 Like

Cheers!

[ Moderator moved post : Off-topic reply to this post … ]

Hm, I don’t mean to nag at you but have you had a look at the OP-Z sequencer now it’s out?
(https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z)

Does anyone know if there is a way to punch this in manually yet? Or is the only way to get 4 notes per trig still by recording live?

OP-1 could be a solid choice if you understand what it can and cannot do. I don’t regret buying one, despite the “just get an iPad!” arguments. My first iPad - 4th generation - has limited usability these days because of the unrelenting waves of IOS updates/changes, particularly the change from 32-bit to 64-bit. Whereas the “more limited” OP-1 continues to be functional and useful.

OP-1 is not vulnerable to the whims of a megacompany like Apple and the musician-unfriendly decisions it has made (elimination of headphone jack on most iPhone models, and now the iPad Pro). I expect OP-Z to enjoy almost the same immunity - it does have an Apple-hosted companion app, but the app is apparently display-only - some update to it forced by Apple should not break the OP-Z.

1 Like

i mean getting finer step resolution… so base sequence is 16 tracks. by holding “Track” + “Shift” you can shorten it… but you cannot lengthen beyond 16 steps. If you slow the playback of the track to half or slower, the only way you can punch in more steps per trig is to “record” + “play”-- i’m wondering if there is a way to punch them in manual.

1 Like

Not yet, but it’s been discussed at length on the beta test forum including a great way to implement it. Should be coming in a future update.

4 Likes

Sorry that was a typo, I meant to say that there are indeed numerical indicators for the parameter pages, not the opposite.

That’s good news. Are the beta test forums only accessible by beta testers? Different topic, do you know if the CV “ZM-1” module will back a clock-input for stepping the sequence with pulse or trig inputs?

Yes, the beta forum is for beta testers only. I can’t answer your ZM-1 question as I’m not testing the module (:persevere:) but I’ll try to find out the answer.

1 Like

‘Should be coming in a future update’

Unless it’s official and you get the firmware , don’t wat for anything…try not to believe what you might read from someone who’s on a beta test …
For one it should probably be confidential.

I’ve heard rumours they might be doing a limited edition white version …
Actually , I haven’t , but if I hadn’t written this last sentence it would quite easily become fact within a few days …

I’ve seen comments on forums for various synths I’ve had that new firmware is on its way , apparently from trusted people who’ve spoken directly to companies , 1 year later there is still nothing. (Eg Avalon baseline and social entropy engine). … they may not be lying , probably aren’t, but that doesn’t mean things actually get released.

I didn’t hear it from anyone. I am a beta tester. The things discussed with the devs, especially those with real concrete ways of implementing, are very real and highly probable to happen.

4 Likes

ah!! awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope so , I hear good things with the deluge community and developers being engaged , if TE are doing this too , it can only help improve it

1 Like

Well, you’ve got at least one elektronaut (me) bringing other users ideas straight to the devs! Very excited to see where it goes from here!

5 Likes

nice! thanks for the info. after a few days of use, there are a couple simple improvements i would propose if i were at the table with the devs that i think would have a big impact. (+ would be pretty easy updates for TE to implement)…

The track LFOs… increase the max speed. add more destinations. add more shape options. Add some trig steps with envelope parameters. (a la Elektron Rytm)

3 Likes

after using op-z for 2 weeks I’ve got some thoughts. Im an old op-1 and elektron user (+5 elektron boxes) but the op-z has some great things going:

• the size, its actually perfect since u can access most buttons and shift easily with 2 hands. 1st thought to be 2 small, but the size is perfect for accessing the functions etc.
  • fast workflow, the seq and most of the functions is not fare away, no menus …
  • great sounding, yes it has better sound engines than op-1, and pair with elektrons.
  • u dont need the screen! after 1-2 days I wasnt looking at the app, now I dont use the app at all (4 some actions u need the screen, like loading new syntengines)
  • great effects (the punch in is wonderful)

so my main concerns:

• no sampling on board, u can load samples but the direct/easy sampling in op-1 I miss a lot.
  • the mic, I dont get any good results, maybe me not getting in?
  • 2 few parameters on the synts, would be great with more than 2 (op-1 has 4).

I havent dived into the midi yet, but this weekend I hope for some elektron+op-z midi-wizardness (trick or treat?).
Great little machine!

1 Like