Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I had pretty bad noise on my OP-1 output no matter what I did. It was one of the reasons why I sold it.

Weird. I don’t remember such pb to have been reported often on operator-1.com
Maybe a defective output board…

I think I read somewhere you could also find special USB cables to avoid this

Hmm yeah I thought the output noise was widespread and a common issue for many. Not just USB noise, straight up noise out of the analog output. Of course, anything you recorded to tape was clean af, but still, its why i sold mine also.

1 Like

Anyway, Op-Z looks so sick. Watching video now, seriously first piece of kit I’ve been proper excited about in quite a while!

2 Likes

Sorry for the off topic but dude, do you have a site/blog when we can follow your art?

Thank you!

Hey, on the PREproduction units the output is very clean. And I can gain it like twice the amount of what I anticipated. Very loud output. Not sure if that’s even allowed if they’re going to have to follow some EU laws and stuff. It sounds very clean though, with potentially much higher overhead, depending on how they 'll handle the end mix in the finished product.

3 Likes

I also noticed this in your video: When you say “production unit”, do you mean “preproduction unit” i.e. prototype? Or do you have access to a final unit that you can’t show yet?

Yeah sorry. Preproduction/ development unit is what I should’ve said. I think this is the second build. They’re probably hoping to finish the hardware design by the next build, if nothing unexpected happens, and everyone is happy with the result.

Yo Cucks, how do you like it vs OP-1? I have to say it looks gimmicky and agree with @pidgeo… the OP is great size… anything smaller feels like a toy. Fun to use but not for serious tracks? Feel its limitations would KILL my productivity?

I think it’s hard to compare to the OP-1. They’re completely different… which is a good thing. The OP-1 is pretty cool for what you can do with tape. The OP-Z is cool for the extensive sequencing capabilities, and beyond. I think when the final buttons are sweet to press in the final version, it’ll be great to use. And then it’s ultimately about the sound plugs, the synths, and how you can make it play “your” sound. The Pocket Operators are portable, but their circuit design is making them hard to put in a pocket for real. The OP-1 is portable, but only in a bag… and best with a light case. The OP-Z I would have no problems throwing into my jacket breast pocket. THIS is also a true feature. They’ve totally designed it as something you’d not hesitate to bring along in any situation. I love that.

4 Likes

The OP-Z already rules as far as I’m concerned.
The very minute I get that pre-order email I’ll whack it in a trolley.
No questions asked and no hesitations.

3 Likes

Dont get me wrong I can see the appeal, but surely the sequencer cant be as good as the Elektron boxes and even if it was close, the mere size, lack of screen and labelling would make it a memory headache no?

Portability is the future but this seems borderline at the inflection point. Moreover I hate using “apps” and touchscreens.

Would have thought if you like twisting knobs and big buttons then this aint for you. It must be a LOT of fun to use just not sure I would have the patience to learn/memorize yet another workflow for something I prob cant produce full tracks on

Button step LED illumination is only now being implemented on the digitakt. Previously the UI had a row of leds above the buttons. Kinda wasted space. TE are trying to do as much as possible in a small footprint isn’t a bad thing. Bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone is a good thing especially when first learning the box.

you can bring your own screen

1 Like

Sorry guys dont mean to be a party pooper :slight_smile: I guess the “have to bring your own screen”, “have to connect via bluetooth to XYZ for app” … “have to do this and that”… maybe just not for me :smile::wink: whats the point in something small if the buttons are too small, you need a super memory to remember everything and you need to carry peripherals around… ?

I think TE is an AWESOME brand… and i own an OP-1 which is incredible. They are very innovative thats for sure. :+1:

3 Likes

You don’t ‘have to’ bring/use a screen though, that’s the fun!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Operator-1 forum?

Does anyone know how this dual domain synthesis works? Say I have the op-z in a bag and want to jam just using my phone on the train. Could I leverage the dsp power of the op-z remotely or does it use the processor of my phone?

Also curious if you can stack multiple sampler or looper devices in one pattern or if you are stuck with just one of each?