Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I wonder why is this? Why would I want to reproduce the sound in the app if I already have it coming out from OP-Z? Or can the app be used without OP-Z too?

The App is a image, motion, controller and screen for the unit not an sound engine.
At the end of the video they say they will develop for multiple platforms.

2 Likes

If this thing is approx £350 and has none of the op-1 ‘cheap/half-assed’ kind of issues/bugs then all cool. If this thing is like £550+, 5 years after Op1, being released same year as mpc live, i’ll be confused and biting my tongue. Coming from a huge op-1 fan. That’s me looking at it just for music. Seems the visuals thing is a big deal and adds a ton more value but not something I need. Impossible to get a view on it without a price. At one price its killer little portable jam box, at another it’s laughable. Interested for more details.

I think it will cheaper end of the spectrum.
The PO paradigm has taught them a ton about getting TE gear in the hands of the masses.

The big question for me is how will it integrate with the OP-1 and other gear? Connectivity is key.

2 Likes

I had an OP-1 for a while and was fun to muck around on the couch with but don’t think I ever used it in a production. Sound quality / midi sync was sub standard and I struggled to fit its sound into my studio. It was no more than a fun, expensive toy in the end to me and I sold it with no regrets.
Unfortunately this one seems even more so, no screen is just rediculous in my opinion, and can’t really be called stand alone if you need to carry an iPad around to use it properly. Sound engine sounds flat and uninspiring in the early demos. If you are going to have it tethered to an iPad you are better off using the vast iPad synths available (some incredible) with a little midi controller. As mentioned a couple of hundred bucks and it may be worth a look.

op1 sounds legit in capable hands. It’s far from a toy, it’s just designed to be fun, like a toy.

3 Likes

I want one but at the same time i think i’m just fascinated by the design. I don’t need it at all and i’m more into sound design.
TE stuff kinda feels like Apple product to me ,i don’t know how to explain. I want one cause i just love the design but in the end its kinda expensive for what it is and i don’t need it. Hard to explain really :slight_smile:

Yeh I like how the tonic sounds. But tbh I was disappointed by the limited scope of microtonic synthesis… I haven’t used the app since opening it after licencing. I’m sticking to the default sounds for now, and in time will only upload a few sounds to overwrite the ones I end up using rarely. IMO the factory sounds on the tonic are superb considering how limited the microtonic engine is.

I’d be interested in the OP-Z if you could use it as a midi controller, or control it by midi without having to use that $400 fragile & akward oplab thingy. Never understood the minimal/convenient design aspect in conjunction with all the Lego doodad’s to do something like turn a knob.

3 Likes

Also, a big reason I ended up selling my OP1 was the constant fear of putting too much stress on the poorly designed output jack that was prone to failure. I don’t think it costs that much extra to design these types of jacks to be mounted to the chassis.

1 Like

Oh yeah, you’re right. There is midi through USB. I wish I had synths that could be controlled by midi through USB. This could possibly be a nice controller for Reason I suppose.

1 Like

If the OP-Z can negate the need for a OPlab and or Iconnectivity device and make the OP-1 play nice with other gear would be a win - win situation for many.

Fair enough. Spending some years making synth drums with zebra2 might have spoiled me :diddly: I’ll give it some more time.

2 Likes

The most obvious reason to include and mirror the sound remotely would probably be to perform 100% wireless. I’m not sure how much of the ideas end up in the final product. It sounds a bit scary to me, to mirror the whole music engine in an app. But it’s a very cool idea.

I must say, I think op1 design is amazing. perfect size, bright, colorful n fun. I love it.
since then tho I’m not a fan of their designs. everything’s gotten too small imo.
not into the tiny buttons on the opz, I love a good button :slight_smile: n it’s grey on grey is quite bleak.
sort of the opposite of the op1 in that respect.

1 Like

I’m thinking (and hoping) that MIDI I/O will be done via 1/8" plugs, so DIN will be possible with adapters (beatstep, 0-coast etc). Seems like its becoming the new standard. I’ll be bummed if I need an additional box to get everything working.

1 Like

octopus on op-1 in space

5 Likes

Nope, I don’t get this device at all. Would have loved an OP-2 with a real sequencing (proper step sequencing) and pressure sensitive keyboard.

Don’t want to play with attaching/detaching any displays and those small buttons and rotaries seem impossible to work with humanoid hands. Grumpy old man signing out.

5 Likes

wow, this thing looks and sounds rad. could be an instabuy for me. is there pre-order yet? Although one thing that bugged me about op-1 was the output noise, is this thing clean, @cuckoomusic? will have to have a big proper watch laters on the wifi :blush:

OP1 output is not noisy, normally. Mine isn’t.

Most likely is you got a ground loop with USB cable.
One possibility is to set OP1 so that it stops charging (Com + 4).

3 Likes