Teenage Engineering OP-Z

599 US-Dollar = 536,52 EUR = 460,45 BP

Yea, it’s strange for a SWE company to sell cheaper in the US :no_mouth:

EDIT: No politics, just geo wise

1 Like

I think you will find when you add US tax to the 599, it gets closer to the EUR price.

I have found that it’s pretty common for the US ticket price to be lower than the EUR price, even for EUR-manufactured goods - people pay what they pay, I suppose.

Just don’t forget about the tax aspect when comparing prices! :frowning:

3 Likes

EU / GB prices will include sales tax (VAT), US prices most likely don’t.

3 Likes

OK guys/girls, thanks for the tax update :sunglasses:

2 Likes

AND to make it messier, tax rates can vary wildly between US states! https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-local-sales-tax-rates-2015/

1 Like

Still 15% price difference to Europe is higher than the US tax to be payed, I guess. I wonder where the OP-Z is produced + shipped from.

The OP-Z if fun-looking at all (especially the brutalist aesthetic behind the UX design on the device) but I’m still liking the functionality of my Digitakt and Digitone 1000% better and am simply not tempted by the OP-Z (thankfully too, I hate getting cluttered with gadgets)

3 Likes

According to UPS mine will be delivered Tuesday (UK) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, but technically it could. $599 app might be a hard sell though…

We all thank you for not being tempted.

LOL this is an Elektron forum after all, just expressing some love for the home team- Hope you enjoy your OP-Z!

1 Like

You should consider getting a DT again someday once you have the OPZ. They are an INCREDIBLE duo!

2 Likes

Interesting thought process. Looking forward to hearing/seeing what you do with OP-Z. As you mentioned, the price is right. I picked up a 2nd-hand Digitone probably 2 weeks before the OP-Z was released for pre-order. Had I waited, I probably would’ve given the OP-Z a go. Nevertheless, I’m loving my DT&DN combo and all the possibilities therein.

1 Like

“today, with the introduction of the all new OP-Z, we will push the boundaries even further. this time the machine is so small we guarantee it will upset you.”

Giggle :smiley:

1 Like

Yea it’s interesting the journey music production can take you on. There are so many possibilities. Currently I’m exploring cassette applications / the different possibilities with sound when using cassette.

I’m half & half when it comes to the Op-Z. Everything about it’s size & features interest me…the reason I am unsure is the sound of it’s synths. But I felt the same way about Op-1 & now I absolutely love it. So I’m going to keep my eye on the Op-z, I know once people start receiving their unit more demos will be released giving me a better idea.

2 Likes

Synths:
bow: string synthesis
cluster: clustered oscillators
digital :digital raw engine
electric :complex and transforming
saw: filtered waves
shade: smooth piano
sample: PCM sample player
uranus: clean bass
volt: multi oscillator electric synthesis

Effects:
type: vector semilinear crusher
type: basic digital delay
type: overdrive distortion
type: digital reverb

1 Like

This makes the OP-Z one of the most powerful midi controllers around all in the size of a TV remote!

It should sound at least as good as the Digitakt for sample playback its 48kHz 24-bit DAC.
with a 115 dB dynamic range.

The 8 current synth engines are a matter of taste, if you like the OP-1, you will like it! But new ones will be developed an can simply be loaded in…this could include normal FM/VA etc as the its a fairly powerful processor (Analog devices blackfin 70X DSP with cirrus logic audio co-processor)

2 Likes

Thing with TE is that you think ah my iPad can do that but then you get to play with the TE instrument and realize that it has this musical quality that makes it more than the sum of its functions.

6 Likes

Im concerned about quality control. Things that small aren’t meant to be brutalized by electric knob shock treatment. I can see a few buttons getting stuck!

It’s becoming clear that the OP-Z is an amazingly powerful device in a really small package. I’m not in the market for one, to be honest, but I could see a future where I own an OP-Z. Given the extended amount of time they took to release it after the initial tease, and all the features included; I wonder if there was a good deal of scope-creep, or even a back-to-the-drawing-board moment. I’m also curious as to whether the auto-save feature is going to be more of a pain or a godsend. The time and effort put in is evident though, it seems like they left no stone unturned. User replaceable (albeit proprietary) battery is a nice touch. It would be cool if we start seeing these pop up everywhere – coffee shops, airplanes/airports, out in the park on a nice day. I want to hear more, especially more in-depth demos of the synthesis engines, but it’s like the ultimate portable workstation.

2 Likes