Teenage Engineering OP-Z

529£
PVC rollup is 16£

1 Like

Portability. Ever used the POs? The screens are cute but not communicating much :wink:

• Use the screen to design cool patches/sequences/whatever in an easier way.
  • Disconnect it.
  • Run to the club
  • Put a couch on stage, plug it in a PA and make the coolest show ever with your TV remote control pointing at the crowd. (Bonus if you glue a laser pointer on it and throw some cats around)
  • Profit
7 Likes

The case is probably £100 ( I haven’t looked , maybe later , I’m sure there’s info on their site / op1 forum ) . Op1 accessories were very overpriced.

16£ for the pvc rollup! So your probably right

We know one of the modules is ‘CV’ (as there is a CV setting) so could be 3 x CV and a Gate. With the sequencer as advertised that could be a pretty powerful Eurorack sequencer…It can Also sequence external Midi, has P Lock, polyrhythm and a lot of performance features.

I got one ordered just before the web site changed to sold out- it sold out I n less than an hour.

1 Like

CV module

4 Likes

Yeah… but can you really compare those synths to OP-Z? Synths without screens are mostly analog synths with a ”wysiwyg” interface for modifying sounds. This is different. If OP-Z is anything like OP-1, it needs a screen to be comfortable to use. Either that, or its functionality is going to be quite limited in the no-screen mode.

1 Like

Would be nice to know the size of the batch that they ”sold out”… was it 10 or 1000?

1 Like

Then it was pretty good achievement, good for them. I’m still not convinced about OP-Z, but I may be once some of those early adopters tell us what OP-Z actually is.

1 Like

Introducing the OB-Z… @ £250 From Behringer. With added screen. Soon.

9 Likes

Always read the small print!

Very true. I thought it was a little sly personally - knowing how over priced TE accessories tend to be, the pre order image at that price didnt seem that overpriced, then I caught the small print and guffawed!

Someone should make an assignable midi controller with exactly the same form factor, and no synth or sequencer brain but with built-in

• wav recorder
  • midi sync track
  • usb-midi host io
  • trs jack midi io x 4
  • micro stereo 4 channel matrix mixer
  • li-ion battery with 5v, 6v 9v and 12v outs
  • cv x 4 io

plug it into your IOS device, OP-1 or elektrons and you’re off to the races

2 Likes

For everyone saying “what does it do?” I suggest watching this. I’ve been beta testing, and have only very rarely used the screen. It is not a controller for an app!

7 Likes

I watched this earlier. I changed from “what can it do” to “is that all it can do” pretty quickly.

I don’t mean to rain on folks parade though. I’m sure those who pre-ordered will love it.

3 Likes

What would you like to see it do that it doesn’t? There’s still time for feature requests (within reason)!

2 Likes

It’s funny seeing some of the “is that all it can do? it costs how much?” when it’s still cheaper than some individual Eurorack modules.

7 Likes

Eurorack is some of the most overpriced stuff there is so it’s not a very big achievement to come up with something cheaper than that.

That said, vast majority of Eurorack modules are cheaper than OP-Z… and for the price of OP-Z, you could get iPad, controller and plenty of apps.

I expected it to sound on a par with the OP1. I don’t particularly rate the synth engines on the OP1 that highly (have owned 3 over the years) but I figured the OPZ would at least match it.

It’s early days though but all I’m hearing is masses of dull plinky plonky chip tune sort of stuff - just about all of it sounds identical!. I’d like to think TE will develop the OPZ over at least the next year or so and things will look a little more enticing than they are now. But that UI just seems designed for those with a glutton for punishment!

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)