Teenage Engineering OP-1

how would you achieve that? i see it has a usb for use as a controller but i cant see how it connects via midi

You have to use a USB MIDI host like a computer or one from Kenton, iConnectivity, TE (oplab) etc.

3 Likes

okay coolā€¦ cheers for the info

Or just plug Into a computer

Oh I mentioned that one too. First, in fact.

Oops apologies, shouldnā€™t forum under the influenceā€¦

1 Like

Check out the BomeBox, too. Itā€™s compact, has lots of routing flexibility, can be powered via USB (for totally off-grid use) and was created by a well-established but indie provider of MIDI solutions.

Op-1 is straight up plug-n-play. I donā€™t use midi control mode. Standard op-1 mode into a usb hub keeps it in sync and can still play vsts within Ableton. I love this machine

I picked up a cheap ground loop fixer gadget, now I can USB midi cck my iOS device into my op-1 with audio connected too and no buzz.

Any chance of a link to ground loop thing? Thanks

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

I have to say. I am missing the OP-1 a LOT more than I thought I would when I sold it. Right now, primarily itā€™s sampling capabilities are what I long for. I discovered instrument sampling a bit late in the game and oh man was that intuitive. It was the most on point was of replicating that guy from Upstream Color.

I miss the synths, too. But the dual method of sampling was something special

2 Likes

I think Iā€™ll end up getting one again at some point. Itā€™s pretty much the best portable all-in-one performance synth out there, even with the sequencer limitations.

Iā€™m gonna see what the OP-Z brings though, I have a feeling that being even smaller than the OP-1, and somewhat multi-timbral, itā€™d be very appealing to meā€¦ I love music devices that I can keep in my bag and not notice because they donā€™t weigh much more than what I already carry.

1 Like

I think the Op 1 and Z will go perfectly with my OT or (hopefully) my new MPC. Thus allowing me to bypass the tape feature of it and I can program the sequences in. Trying to record onto the tape ended up stressing me out greatly when I had it. But it sounded cute, and I LOVED being able to record random things in and play it. I didnā€™t even take advantage of the line in except for radio. And the simplified drum sampling was great!

Funny, I find the Tape to be the heart of it all, the place that really defines OP-1, the Limitation that draws its philosophy best.

Far from perfect, but a kicking the butt to get tracks done :smile:

3 Likes

After entering the Elektron cocoon of programming all the parts the notion of having to hit record and play the riff immediately gave me anxiety. Though, I really DO need to try to go back to a compositional mindset instead of my last few years trend of jamming out a single atmosphere.

3 Likes

And thatā€™s exactly what I love about the OP-1.
Every time I sat down with it, I created a tune. And tunes unlike any others I had ever composed before.
Yes it is limiting, but that workflow is most effective.

5 Likes

This :point_up_2:t2: sums up the OP-1 for me too. Every time I sit down with it I create something cool. I just find it so incredibly intuitive and immediate. The sequencers, the tape, the portability, man itā€™s such a great tool. I have a couple of long flights coming up and Iā€™m looking forward to them just so I can have a jam on my op-1!

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering about these ground loop isolatorsā€¦

I power my OP-1 and JU-06 and KMI controllers from a USB hub connected to an outlet, and am wondering if I should get a couple of the ground loop isolators linked here, or if I should go for a USB ground loop isolator (like one of these) to plug the hub into.

My thought with the latter option, is that by plugging the hub in to the isolator, all the USB devices connected would benefit from it, but I could be wrong, and maybe those donā€™t actually affect the hum/noise issue the 3.5mm ground loop isolator fixes? Anyone have experience with these?