Teenage Engineering OP-1

OK thanks to all, I’m getting one if I can sell enough gear to fund this little but expensive box :smiley:

This one with the octatrack will be dope for sure! (switching from Ableton Live to OT just boosted my creativity by +1000 besides or thanks to its limitations, so I guess all will be fine with the limitations of the OP-1)

Let’s go sell some gear!

2 Likes

My understanding is that master stereo effects can be applied only on tape tracks. So I have to record tracks to tape to get stereo result? This sounds to me crazy. Especially by unison sounds :slight_smile:

Nope, the master stereo effect slot is applied to all audio generated by the device; there’s no way to apply it only to certain tracks. So if your idea is to use it just as a synth (without using the tape feature) you can use two effects at once—the synth effect (mono) that is saved in each preset, and the master effect (stereo) that stays the same as you change presets. Of course you can still use the tape feature but the master effect will be applied to everything, and won’t be recorded to tape.

I liked using a subtle CWO effect on the master, it gives a nice warbly quality to the tape.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

I still can’t understand something. Is it possible to add layers to a tape track? For example saving drums on a track then adding basses to the same track? Or does the new take overwrite the existing section on the track?
I saw some videos showing the former behaviour, while the manual make me suspect the latter is true.

Yeah you can overdub on to a track if you want.

1 Like

That’s great :slight_smile:

Unlimited overdub

1 Like

It seems to be useful when building stereo image as well. However the unison still remains mono which I find a bit sad. However it sounds good on videos :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s a weird mono box which can be bent to stereo. But if you want a more normal stereo (virtual) analog synth, there are plenty of other options out there.

It really seems like you keep finding things on here that you won’t like. It’s a really peculiar box and it doesn’t operate like ‘regular’ synths. Nor like regular groove boxes. Sometimes that can be a bit frustrating and weird. But you can also get sounds and sessions out of it that you won’t get anywhere else.

But if playing with external keyboards and having stereo sounds and having ‘normal’ midi connections is what you want, there are a bevy of other options at this price point and lower now.

3 Likes

Indeed the op-1 seems to be one of these “1+1=3” devices like the octatrack, where the whole experience is way more than the sum of its specs, for which one can’t really know the whole power if only based on the technical aspects.

For the op-1, reading how much users are actually in deep love with it besides its multiple limitations, I can guess the sum of its parts is really way way way more more moar than it seems! 1+1=11…

I can’t wait to try one!

1 Like

Don’t be sad. Buy something that will make you happy - something that I’m guessing is not going to be the OP-1, which is fine.

Hey, I’ve been wanting one of these for ages, and the european price just dropped from 935 to 820€ overnight!
Anyone know why? will it drop further, might be the right time to purchase
Though looks like stocks are low, maybe last production before they release op2?

Not sure why prices dropped but there’s no OP2 coming anytime soon. It’s a small company and all their resources are tied up in the OPZ and new firmware for the OP1.

1 Like

How do you know? You work there?

Yeah, I’m the CEO.

10 Likes

The new OS is here

4 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to update yet. What’s new in it?

2 Likes

Update… Turn it on and wait 34 seconds then smell the built in speaker… quickly though…The scent lasts for 6 seconds.

its unforgettable.

Try to keep your mouth shut… i didn’t and the aroma was so gorgeous i ended up licking and slobbering after 4 seconds … made a right mess!

enjoy

2 Likes