Teenage Engineering OP-1

It’s simple, they knew they could ask way more for the OP1 since they were sold second hand for alot of cash.

Yeah, same.

Looks like it’s being well received everywhere (lol…), congrats TE. Way to lose the respect/trust/admiration/sales of a significant heap of customers/potential customers. True colours don’t wash…

Reddit and other forum reactions are equally negative, non-plussed, or worse…

Also good for repitching the sound of me spending my money elsewhere :wink:

HAHA… now how would you be able to resample yourself if you don’t have an Op-1? hhhhmmmm. Guess you could borrow someone else’s!!

$1,000 is a lot of money. I watched the Op-1 for years prior to buying it. Took me awhile to see the appeal. Playing with my K.O. is actually what got me to pull the trigger.

:slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong, op-1 is amazing. I had £800 set aside to cop a new one. But not throwing bucks at TE after this ‘tell people not to buy used then similarly hike new prices’ move.

Apparently the approx 4” screen has been upgraded from oled to amoled. If that made it cost £400 extra then they need to sack someone in design or sourcing…£800 was already £150 more than I paid for mine new and I was kind of on the fence… £1200 = firmly off the fence and another ‘anti-TE’ person created in the process.

More expensive than a 12.9inch iPad Pro + a load of great music apps. Wowza.

I know what I’d chose.

5 Likes

I know right!
These companies this year seem masochistic

1 Like

I just found out TE did that reading this thread. They said DON’T buy used, then hiked the price? That’s messed up.

The fact that I already have one makes it good for me… If the Op-1 was $1,300 when I bought it I wouldn’t have bought it. But now that I have owned 1 for awhile & know what it’s capable of & know how creative I am using it? I would pay $1,500 for it. Might sound crazy, but I’ve paid more than that for things that were not close to as much fun as the Op-1. It is NOT for everyone tho. IMO it’s 1 of those love or hate machines… especially due to the price.

1 Like

I think of you look at the price of the Octatrack and the (new) price of the OP-1 it doesn’t seem so strange, both of them are in the same ballpark from a creative and technical point of view.

You could also buy an Akai Force or MPC Live for similar money, if you wanted to.

2 Likes

Yeah that ticked me a bit specially since I was trying to sell mine when they said that. Just seems like they got beat to their game when the rumor of discontinue came out. Maybe they spread the rumor to hike the prices therefore making the new price more bearable… Well, it was fun while I had it.

1 Like

And they are now made in China, yep just like the B brand :slight_smile:

Anyway TBO for that price i would get an OTO BAM + OTO BIM. Amazing boutique fx made in France or … anyway who care… Just like the people paying a grand for an Iphone its their choice.

I enjoy mine for what it is, but honestly I have the HARDEST time trying to actually make a track with it.

I’ve never been able to get the sequenced parts and the tape recording working properly and in sync. It always seems to be silghtly out of time.

The tape/sequencer is the weak point IMO.

5 Likes

If you email them you get the following response

The price has been adjusted due to the replacement of our AMOLED screen and due to higher production cost in general. The compatibility is the same however and all units share the same functionality.

I didn’t enjoy using the OP1 so I’m not really fussed. If you were lucky enough to sell during the boom and now miss it, you made enough money to buy it back new. Speculation has wreaked havoc on the used market, and if you treat synths as trading commodity you need to accept that sometimes you’ll be on the losing end.

9 Likes

If you treat synths as trading commodity, then you should re-evaluate your hobbies, too.

13 Likes

Wasn’t the OP-1 always a bit of a luxury item? :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong; I owned one and I enjoyed it both as an instrument and as an outstanding piece of industrial design and careful manufacturing, but looking purely at it as an electronic instrument that’s part of a production setup, it was never exactly cheap.

1 Like

Wow… :sweat_smile: and the screen replacement is because of what? I mean, it’s not a smart move if you see that will increase a lot the device price (since you already have problems with providers costs), it’s a hard to find piece? or it was giving problems? (I’m really asking).

Because components often stop being produced after a while, or become harder to get in suitable volumes.

1 Like

The new price feels just like the old price when it first came out. Which was discouragingly high.

I blame quantitative easing - the €/$/£ in your pocket/paycheck is simply not worth what it used to be.

It is in my top 5 most used, most travelled pieces of gear though.
What is a bit weird is that when I first got it I liked it but felt it was basically a small mobile phone piece of tech with a StormTrooper-like hardware keyboard n knobs case and hissy sound.
Over time it has fulfilled its promise though as an amazingly satisfying creative box, despite its humble components and lo-fi digitalness.
That is down to its design and portability. The more I use it the more it becomes an extension of my approach.

I’m just relieved they didn’t release this new batch as a MKII - better audio, IO, memory, fx and stereo tracks would have given me a serious GAS attack to upgrade.

2 Likes

Sadly, that’s the only way I was going to get one again :frowning:

1 Like

I dont understand why they didnt change the display.

In times of IoT where even the smallest household appliances come with a display, I find it hard to believe that there are no replacement display-models that could be implemented to work with the OP1 with a little bit of engineering work.

2 Likes