Teenage Engineering OP-1

I wouldn’t be surprised if used prices go UP because of this announcement. Lovely.

Sold mine and bought a Rytm mk2 for the money. Haven’t looked back since.

2 Likes

or a year`s supply of TE joss sticks

co-siggity

i aint mad at the price. Just tell us why in a couple short sentences- no way an AMOLED screen replacement costs that much. If they updated more than the screen and perhaps gave the unit a longer warranty I would be ok with paying more.

seems like its just good ol’ supply n demand. They are trying to deter reselling by marking the price up, that’s probably it but can’t officially put that on the product page.

1 Like

This is spot on. TE didn’t want to miss out on all the fun (money).

Edit: …maybe. See the conversation evolve below.

Seemed to me that people were paying whatever they had to, down to auction circumstances and whatever people accepted when offered ‘buy it now’ prices (deciding whether to gamble on letting auction run or just play it safe). £1200 for a used unit was apparently feasible asking price. TE took notice and adjusted the price of new units accordingly. Couple hundred more than the average ballpark used prices…

1 Like

Funny, I just used the cash I got selling my Rytm Mk2 to overpay for a brand new OP-1. :smiley:

3 Likes

i dont think they should stop with just the op-1. I wanna seebender` go for over £20;)

You know the best way to show a company what you think of their prices, business practices etc?

Don’t buy their products, easy.

8 Likes

I think a lot of us are saying that’s exactly what we plan to do :wink:

1 Like

that move has pretty much cemented my decision to never buy any TE product.

funny thing is: I was actually considering picking up an OP-1 after their “we don´t like to see these prices” announcement… that is, IF they had re-released at the original pricing…

and the “biggest fuck-up of 2019” award goes to… ^^

12 Likes

The way some people (more elsewhere than this forum) talk about pricing of this stuff, you’d think we were talking about drinking water rather than luxury goods.

6 Likes

Good, now you can see what I say about not wanting to buy Behringer gear, vote with your wallet, but realise that others don’t have to have the same view. And that is good.

:confused: I am muting this thread now x

2 Likes

And you won’t mind if I repeat my stance when dissing TE for this as much as you repeat your contempt when bashing behringer :wink:

I’m a customer. Behringers new gear doesn’t f#€k me over in the slightest. Modern behringer screws companies (ish), not customers. This move by TE on the other hand makes a piece of gear I liked now off my radar and I’m gonna miss it sometimes…Just no way I’m gonna pay these kind of prices. General consensus was that people had gone insane when they started paying over a grand. Now it’s the new ‘normal’ price some people are like ‘oh yeah, well of course it is. It’s not a crazy price now that te have decided it’. My head is still stuck at ‘people being insane paying over a grand’. Just my opinion…

2 Likes

Let’s move on from the tit for tat , please.

There’s a great section of the guidelines:

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

6 Likes

Ha! Comment of the year!

I respectfully disagree with your analysis of price data. Stocks and goods do not trade based on historical value (i.e. last year’s average), they trade based on current perceived value. At least in the US, the current perceived value of a used OP-1 is around $1240 (average of 2/13/19 selling prices on Reverb.com, the most recent available data), so TE is absolutely taking advantage of the situation (that they in-part created) by selling the OP-1 for $1299 new in the US today.

Image and data from Reverb.com

Edit: Spelling

2 Likes

If the used one is worth 1200, than the new one is worthy at least that much.
The value of a product is not determaned just by material costs and labor costs and such. It is worth the price people are ready to pay for.

Nah, just buy a different sword from a less messed up company :wink:

Ah. You removed the ‘live by the sword, die by the sword’ thing from your comment. Oh well :slight_smile:

Ah, its not messed up, its how the market works. Sorry about swords … it was unnecessary. Yes i did , as i said, it was to much and impolite for a stranger.
Edit
Just look at the art galleries

1 Like