Teenage Engineering OP-1

Yep, don’t go for iConnectMIDI 2, it doesn’t do USB hosting.
iConnectMIDI4+ is good.
MIO4 doesn’t offer iOS connection but WIFI, so if I had to do it again I’d have gone for the later :slight_smile:

I use a Raspi with Roland Uno interface, can get both for about £50 and you’ve also got yourself a Raspi which is always useful.

I have the op-1 now for 5 oder 6 Years and the love grows and grows since i use a lot of resampling and work with ios softsynth. such a handy package. I mainly use it for little loops which i export to ableton.

If there were ever a weak point on the OP-1, I think it has to be the pattern sequencer.
It’s not without its merits, but talk about tedious to use. I’ve made due with it in the past, but once I started doing my main drums on Patterning on iPad, and sampling them in, I was much more pleased with the process, and the results.

Sold my iPad earlier this year though, so giving iMaschine on my iPhone SE a go.
It’s not a bad little app. I’ve got all my TT-606, Drumatix, Rytm, FR XS, and Dinky’s samples loaded in so I can get some full, complex patterns going quickly, and sampled in, and let OP-1 focus on what I love it for the most, great synth sounds and the endless sequencer.

It’s obvious why the Tonic PO would be such a great companion for the OP-1.

2 Likes

The thing I like in Pattern sequencer (for drums or synth) is playing in ping-pong mode : instant way out of 4/4 :smiley:

1 Like

Indeed this is fun, and I do use it for secondary drums, recorded through the CWO with lots of LFO. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finding my feet on the OP-1 for electro, again. Drums are from iMaschine on my iPhone SE (aka the “MPC in my pocket”), recorded into the line input.

It was the OP-1 that got me producing electro in the first place. I love this thing.

2 Likes

This thing is the most fun thing ever!

the built in mic sounds pretty good. i made some recordings with verses right from the onboard mic and it sounds passable

it really is inspirational. i been neglecting the OT lately lol

4 Likes

I can totally relate to your supposedly initial enthusiasm. Personally, I kept hitting brick walls after honeymoon was over and after a while we both went our separate ways. It was great while it lasted, though.

Hi all, sorry for the basic question but I haven’t found anything definitive in regards to using the op-1 with guitar/effects pedals. I am wondering if all I would need is a 3.5mm to 1/4" mono cable? The routing would be op-1 to effects to interface to ableton.

Anything to consider when doing this other than just hooking up the op-1? Is there possibility of damaging the op-1 in any way (crazy question I know, but I’m borrowing this one)? Would I need to re-amp the signal from the op-1?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the response, and maybe I wasn’t clear. I’m hoping to send signal from the op-1 through effects (I have an infinite jets, echosystem, etc.) and into Ableton via my interface. I’ve never used pedals with synths, and I’ve read a few confusing threads about whether or not it is ok to use a 3.5 to 1/4" ts or 3.5 to 1/4" trs cable. Are there any considerations when going this route?

Any need to reamp the audio signal from the op1 to the pedal since pedals expect an instrument level signal?

Hej there!

I am about to purchase a secong hand OP1, is there any usual deffects or failures I should keep an eye on when I test it?
Loose knobs, bad battery life etc…

Test it physically and mechanically, check the output and input.
Run the tests in the startup menu, check on the site so you know how to do it without reading.
I forgot but it is very easy, think it’s switching on the device whilst holding the COM button…

2 Likes

Battery seems to be the main issue. Some are fine (mine is five years old, and the battery is great), some are not.

I would check that the inputs and outputs function as expected and that all the buttons and knobs respond as they should.

2 Likes

I bought mine new and the volume knob has always felt loose and wobbly compared to the others, I assumed this is what they are all like (?), so don’t worry about that. My battery is still great and the unit is several years old. I love the OP1!

2 Likes

Diagnose passed (holding COM and turning on at the same time), all knobs and buttons in good shape, mic/speakers as well as input/output functioning correctly, I am a new owner of an old OP1! Thanks for your tips!

4 Likes

Happy for you! :muscle:t3:Boosh!

Awesome, congrats and have fun. :okej:

So I’m interested if I can buy components for my OP1 repair! I guess it’s the most old one because it was only out on the market for a few months and I got the chance to buy one 2ndhand for only 550euros! It’s serial nr OP1 TE002AS001A.

After 3 months the speaker broke, first crackling noise and fade outs, then dead, luckily the outputs still work but I always found it crappy, noisy output for such expensive synth, would never bought it new!

When I went on a surftrip (due to not having a decent case for the synth) I lost button 1 (loop 1) with the plastic mecanism too, it still works but it sucks to work like that, and sometimes a button needs harder pressing because it’s almost stuck!

Can someone point me into a direction where I could buy a button 1 and new speaker? I contacted TE years ago but they said to send it back. I don’t want to, it’s long out of warranty and the fix does not seem to be to complicated at all!